!!! 1986 XL600R Adventure Bike Rebuild !!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crobox, Dec 27, 2012.

1. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took a look at the engine again and determined that the big "port" in the background of the pic is not a second output from the oil pump, but rather seems to be a post-filter passage for pressurized oil to enter the crank, presumably to oil the crank and piston (?) and other parts.

So the "port" with the screwy angled aluminum tube appears to be the main output of the pump. I guess the fabled second output is that hard tube that disappears under the clutch....
  2. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny... I posted my realization of this as you were posting...

Thanks Dave!
  3. Homerb

Homerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I replaced this seal last week and it cost me all of 5 bucks from my local bearing supplier! The size is 14 x 22 x 5mm.
    Also, I reckon the o ring locator in your photo probably got partially dislodged and left at this angle when you were removing the clutch cover. If everything isnt perfectly inplace when fitting the clutch cover, it doesnt seal up and I actually cracked one once when tightening it up when something was out of place.
  4. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, definitely not. There are wear marks on the aluminum tube, small areas where it was flattened, which show clearly that it was sandwiched tightly against the oil pump outlet for some time. If I remember, I will take pix of it tomorrow and post them.

OK, thanks. But... I wish I had a local bearing supplier! The town I live in, population 6000, doesn't even have a motorcycle store!! You can't buy stainless steel here! A bearing supplier would be a dream! Closest one I know of is 400 miles away in Denver. Everything is by mail order. But thanks for the size... it will help me mail order the right item if mine is shot.
  5. Homerb

Homerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grease is all you need to keep that little collar in place while you install the clutch cover.

[​IMG]
  7. jonsvba

jonsvba n00b

Oddometer:
    Newbie just found this thread. Great build. Am looking fwd to next instalment.
  8. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another view of the smashed tube....

[​IMG]
  9. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The tube looks definitely pinched between the case halves, but still it looks like it sealed anyway luckily. I have found them that way too on case removal, apparently it is easy enough to do. Honda should have made that tube fit tighter in the case. As my memory serves me it is really kind of held in by the o-ring which is backwards in my mind.
  10. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Upon reassembly, should the tube and O-ring be held in the side-cover? Or in the pump outlet?

(The answer to this question may well be in my Clymer manual... but that is in the shop!)
  11. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put some grease on the collar and place it in the pump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^What Steve said. :D
  13. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spent yesterday doing the other attachment arms between the pannier racks and the bike frame. You can see them in this picture...

Within the last few days I have also applied the Honda decals to the tank and put on a few coats of protective clear coat. So the tank is basically done.

[​IMG]

I have also been working out the pannier-to-rack attachment system. I will be using lockable draw latches, McMaster Carr part number 1406A57. The goal is for them to be super easy to use, easy on and off, and lockable to the bike.
  15. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve... No I have not read your thread... but will do so today.
  16. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put it in the pump assembly and carefully put the cover on. I have cocked that sleeve too in the past juggling around the kickstarter and oil tube and whatever else is in the way. Might try gluing it into place with grease for assembly.
  17. Carter Pewterschmidt

Carter Pewterschmidt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good so far. Word of advise on the Wiesco piston. I put one in my stock engine with stock exhaust and it pinged like crazy, even with race gas. Ran much better with the supertrapp so once that motor is together don't try using a stock muffler.
  18. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Carter. How many discs in your Supertrapp?
  19. Carter Pewterschmidt

Carter Pewterschmidt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run it with an open end cap. It's loud but the muffler hasn't been repacked yet. I'm doing a few upgrades to the bike in spring and I'll repack the muffler then. I'll post up a sound clip for everyone.
  20. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Making a new oil-tube, AKA dowel.

Turning it from a piece of 1" aluminum on my new little South Bend lathe.

[​IMG]

Here is the new tube next to the old one. 10mm OD x 8mm ID x 7mm long

[​IMG]

I also made new locator dowels for the cylinder head, as those were mysteriously absent. Made those from stainless. No pictures.