2-Stroke Pipe Question

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by lake_harley, Mar 30, 2012.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does the exhaust system on a 2-Stroke ever need to be cleaned out? I'm tinkering with a couple F7 175 Kawasaki enduros ('74 and '75 if I recall correctly from the titles). One of the pipes that I have off seems a lot lighter than the other and just wonder if they build up deposits, similar to the combustion chamber, that should be cleaned out? If yes, then how or what do you do or use to clean them?

I've had a few 2-stroke bikes over the years, but none that were this "mature", and I never kept them all that long.

Thanks, in advance.

Lynn
  2. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    Stick a torch in and let her rip... Burn it out
  3. lake_harley

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. Propane, Oxy/Acetylene or?? Since I haven't done this before, will it "light off" and continue to burn and then the ashes can be tapped out?

Thanks

Lynn
  4. gloud

gloud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes they need to be cleaned out if they are that old. Any torch should get them going do it outside as it will stink. You can also use oven cleaner I have been told but you need to be careful of the lye.
  5. brendonb11

brendonb11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    absolutely they need to be cleaned out!
    Torch and scrape (if you can get a brush in there). Some older models have baffles in the end of the pipes that you can yank out as well...
  6. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yank the baffle (if you can) clean it. I like to heat the pipe and stick a broken cable in a drill,insert cable in pipe (after heating/cooling) and let the cable knock as much carbon loose as possible. Do that from both ends if possible. Empty the debris and repeat.
  7. Hunsta

Hunsta Have guns will hunt

Oddometer:
    It will do wonders for your bike. However your neighbours will hate you for the tons of smoke you will create.. Just did mine. Oxy torch and compressed air. What an environmental freak show.:lol3
  8. lake_harley

Oddometer:
    Sort of a mini flue fire maybe? Now you have me looking forward to it!

Lynn
  9. lake_harley

Oddometer:
    Well, I used a propane torch from the "engine" end of the pipe. Let it burn in that end for quite a while. Got some smoke, but not as dramatic as I had actually hoped for. I wonder, since all of the bikes had been sitting quite a while, could everything sort of dried up that it wasn't all that flamable anymore? This 2-stroke stuff is rather new to me. I did manage to get a layer of soot out of the curved end of the pipe, so I guess at least I did some good. Anyone put any "accelerant" in the pipe, like gas, to get it burning:kboom? You're probably thinking now, "Man, I'm glad I'm not his neighbor!"

Lynn
  10. Euromad

Euromad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Putting gas in the pipe prolly give you an unexpected BANG
    you may blow the pipe apart and give yourself a reason for a hearing aid and plastic surgery:rofl
  11. lake_harley

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'll probably search for dramatic effects elsewhere. Hearing aids and plastic surgery would cut into my motorcycle habit budget too much:kurt

Lynn
  12. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just throw them in the trash barrel and light it. :evil