KaptinKaos' 2013 990 Baja Build-up

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by kaptinkaos, Apr 17, 2013.

1. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Hey - congrats on your new bike but at the risk of bursting bubbles and pissing on people's parades, I have to inform you guys that Black is fastest; its the one with the big orange "R" on it :)

I have the Euro headlight but decided that I didn't need or want the Euro headlight switch - not sure why you want it or what you want to use it for but for me, managing auxiliary lights with a separate switch (I used the HDB top clamp and switches) was the answer for me. I can say though that the Euro headlight is lightyears better than the POS North American headlight assembly and I haven't even installed my HID kit into mine yet. As for the OEM heated grips, regardless of whether you use ACC1 or ACC2 (switched with ignition or unswitched), you should still be aware of their draw (amperage) against what that particular circuit is rated for. I haven't installed heated grips yet but when I do, I will use a relay fed from battery power and switch the relay with ignition power source so there's no risk to leaving them on when the bike is off. I have purchased a Centech AP2 fuse block to help me organize accessory power requirements though I won't have many; heated grips, GPS, auxiliary lights, heated vest/clothing and maybe rear-facing laser :)

2. kaptinkaos

kaptinkaos Just some nOOb

Oddometer:
    Congrats!!!

Yes, all of the Baja 2013's have the euro switch gear. It's because the 2013's come stock.with the hid spots. Mine even has a euro headlight to go with it now, lol!

I don't use the luggage plate. I never did on the Dakar either. I don't like the sharp edges and how I pack I don't need a lot of support. I pack really light, lol!

No idea which power supply though dude... I don't have heated grips, but will later in the year, :)

Off I go on my trip! Yay rain and frigid temps... Should be an.interesting ride through the mountains, hahaha!
  3. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeh I'll be getting the euro headlight ASAP. But riding in the dark last night I thought the stock headlight was better than I expected after all the bad reviews. Certainly better than the dakar.

Well acc1 is powering the power plug and I want to keep that. And acc2 is switched so I want that for the GPS. The ktm grips are plug and play so I'm wondering if there's a 3rd supply just for them? Because I don't want to give up either of the other two.
  4. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeh I don't plan on panniers. Just use my ortlieb rack bag. But the strap locations as stock are too small.

Wanna sell that plate then?
  5. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    My KTM rear rack (I have the same one that the Baja comes with) is perfect for my Kriega US30 or US20 bags a d anytime I use my large duffel, it's with my panniers mounted so I've got more width to work with.
  6. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    Snowing like a mofo on me going through crowsnest pass... Lol!!! Better than work though! :)
  7. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
  8. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    better than rain we have here today.. it's pissing down..
  9. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    Lol... No, it's not. You must not have ever ridden in +1C wet snow. It's really not so awesome.
  10. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm from England, thats the only type of snow we ever got lol.. Commuting all year round on a bike was not nice there, and yes it does suck in wet snow, But i still think i prefer any snow, even the wet type over the torrential rain here today..
  11. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    which oil did you use for it's first change? does blackfoot sell the motorex or did you use something else?
    mine will be coming up pretty quickly..

can you just get a kit with all the filter and o rings and stuff required for the change as a ktm part?

also, did you decide on the blackdog skid plate? what about the side stand relocator? is there a canadian supplier or are you shipping direct from usa?
  12. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    10w50 Motorex. Any synthetic J 10w50 (J meaning it has the proper detergents in it for a motorcycle) will do. It's not a brand thing, just more of an oil weight and type deal. :)

All you should need for the first service is a filter, oil and some time. If you've been off road think about opening up the air box to take a look at the air filter. Mine was gross after 1100 kms, but I was riding some nasty stuff.

CJ is sending me a care package of goodies. Most of the hard parts I needed he had and I'll install/swap them when I get home. Currently in Seattle after a two day stay with friends in Spokane. Tomorrow the 990 (now affectionately called "Wampa" after the maiden voyage snow storm) will see some Aberdeen sand dunes, :D

Should be home in less than a week and will do a RR then if time allows it. Trying work in the time to tear down the 450 too... Lol! Cheers!
  13. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    Phew, home! Too much rain for my liking, but still a damn good ride. I'll try to throw a ride report together in the next day or two. Rain, snow, sub-zero temps, 6000ft ascents, 2300+ miles... was fun! I have some more formed opinions about some things I had questions on before.

Cheers!
  14. jon6.0

jon6.0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet! How did it do in the dunes?
  15. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    It didn't unfortunately... It was raining so hard and had been for days that I ended up turning north and catching the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria to visit some friends there instead... LOL! I'll be heading to Oregon in less than 2 months though, :D
  16. jon6.0

jon6.0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool. Victoria is a good time. My ship pulled in there a couple of times when I was stationed out of Everett Washington.
  17. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    I'm totally not ignoring this thread and am actually working like a mofo to get some mods done... Here was the pile when I got home.

[​IMG]

Everything is ok, for the most part... Have to do a minor bit of fitment for the skid pan though, :( Not a huge deal, but time consuming.

[​IMG]

Add to that my other project:

[​IMG]

And I almost overwhelmed. Working on two bikes at the same time is kinda fun though. The 450 is finally legal for the street again after the PO had hacked it and mangled it and basically treated it like a $2 hooker. I don't know how anyone can own a machine of this calibre and not maintain it... The further I dug, the more I found (like an inch of dirt in the airbox... yes, BEHIND the filter). I decided to slap it back together and have a bit of a play as I'm waiting on a long list of parts for it anyway. It'll become a white monster like the 990 when I'm done... and possibly get a new motor after having seen what I saw today, :(

I swear I will do a ride report from the shakedown, but probably next week when I'm back at work. Cheers!
  18. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that the cj skid plate? If so why did you choose that over the Blackdog?
  19. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    Yep, combo with the SS relocation bracket. It IS the beefiest skid plate I've ever seen and I like it. The modification to that bracket is minor. :D
  20. wheeler23

wheeler23 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KaptinKaos, How do you like the KTM hard bags you installed? Will the side boxes interfere with a passanger? Do you have the matching top box? Will a helmet fit in it? Any good pic's of the bike with them on it? I know lots of questions right???? Lookin to get those same bags for mine?