R80/7 + a newb = a long road to cafe

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by benthic, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Might well be that there was a problem with the new condenser. Almost unheard of, but not unthinkable. And your problem was sounding like primary-igntion related so it's likely.

Was the condenser BMW-OEM?

But like I said, on a MAJOR rebuild like this, you're bound to have problems. And you'll probably have a couple more. :huh

Once you get on the road you won't hardly notice the back...
  2. benthic

benthic glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer:
    Happy Friday! I had a very successful ride up to Escondido last night (60miles round trip). Bike performed superbly:) If only I could remember to turn the petcocks on;) My only "problem" was that at speed (80mph) I noticed some wiggle that i believe was the new tires following the rain grooves of the 15's HOV lanes, because it doesn't do it on other freeways.

My re calibrated speedo seems to be fairly accurate at low speeds, but at high speeds it gets a little wavy so no way of knowing exactly how fast I was going, but I was hauling ass;) My tach seems to work pretty good up to 60-70mph, but after that it gets a lot wavy. oh well. lastly, based on the speedo and odometer, I got 34.9mpg last night, but my speeds were from 70-90mph. I'll need to do a more liesurely ride and see what i get:)

I think Mike and Renner are coming over tomorrow along with another Airhead to work on his bike - i have lots of space and the bike lift so we're doing a mini tech session at my house:) I'm hoping Renner will take my bike out for a ride and I can get an expert opinion on how it's handling/running (Mike is welcome to ride it too, but he'll probably hurt himself on the rear-sets;) )

Have a great weekend everyone!
  3. apt13

apt13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    might be out of the range by now, but be careful on them new tires for a little while!
  4. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    Did you put on a new speedo cable when you had the gauges redone?
  5. benthic

Oddometer:
    I've got about 150 miles on it since the rebuild start-up. and I am NOT aggressive in the curves, just the straights:)

I did not get a new speedo cable, maybe I should... but that wouldn't affect the tach, right?
  6. Mike V.

Mike V. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I'll graciously decline. My new titanium knee joint is light years better than before with improved range of motion and no more pain. But anything over 95° flexion is a bit out of my comfort range. I'll stick to my old fart OEM fitted R100/7.

-Mike V.
  7. benthic

Oddometer:
    turns out no one is going to ride the bike tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

front tire failed on my way home from work.

I had just checked the tires last night for my ride. i don't really know what happened to the tire. I was having no problems at all until i got to my exit, all of a sudden the bike pulled and leaned me to the right, I looked down, saw a flat, started breaking with the rear tire, bike wobbled and dumped on my left side, I slid a bit, came off the bike, and i saw the bike do a flip over the curb.:(

I got pretty damn lucky. just road rash.

[​IMG]

boy does this suck.
  8. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Dang.

Well. it's like she said: One minute, you're Cock-of-the-Walk; next minute, a Featherduster...

[​IMG]

Condolences. :cry
  9. Mike V.

Mike V. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spencer...trying to find the words. I'm glad you're not hurt too badly. This can happen to any of us, and it happens so quickly with no warning.

We'll get you back on the road again in time - your decision.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

-Mike V.
  10. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh shit!!! Man I am so sorry that happened to you and your ride. Fuck. After all that work!:huh Man. Don't know what to say other than I feel for you. Keep us informed and wear more gear. Shit.
  11. apt13

apt13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ouch! serious bummer. sorry about that! glad you are still in one piece though. it's true you just never know what's gonna happen, so i gotta +1 on the more gear. heal up soon!
  12. benthic

Oddometer:
    the arm rash was THROUGH my very nice armored Fieldsheer jacket without tearing the jacket. I've actually been thinking a lot about the jacket (surprise surprise), Is this normal? I'm sure the jacket saved me from worse, but shouldn't the jacket have prevented the arm rash?
  13. gfx

gfx gfx

Oddometer:
    Nooooo. This went from my favorite current thread to my worst nightmare. You put all your love and time into these old gems and the next day it's gone.

Glad you're OK and would probably get a different brand of jacket :huh
  14. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I meant it in the most sisterly way, not a "told you so" shit way. Can't believe the jacket gave up like that.:eek1 How fast do you think you were going when you hit pavement? God that's gonna sting in the morning. Was there elbow armour in the jacket?

edit Just went back and looked at the pictures of the bike.....I almost started to cry. I hope you get some cash from ins. and pick up where you left off.!
  15. Mal S7

Mal S7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh no, that really sucks! Sorry to hear it Benthic
    Vicarious enjoyment of your project turns to a share in the horror.

Let me know how I can buy you a beer.

Solace

Mal
  16. apt13

apt13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dang, you'd think a jacket would hold up better than that. but who knows, maybe it saved your arm. i'd take a photo of you wearing the jacket and your arm and send it to fieldsheer and see what they think. you could probably at the very least get a free jacket out of it. unless they say you were "wearing it wrong" haha. i also didn't mean to sound like a told-you-so nanny, just trying to look out for a brother.

you could have a bonafide "airhead mechanic" take a look at your bike and price out everything you've done and labor costs for your insurance and you would most likely make more money than you put into it, and then get a good 12 more pages out of this thread. haha.
  17. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear and thanks to the miracle of the modern day computer actually see your latest problem. The bike is fixable or it's parted out. Don't make too much of a decision for a few days. The arm will heal. There's an Herb that greatly helps this kind of wound, it is called Comfrey. Can be found in a salve. Sometimes available locally at the Health Food Store or on the Interwebs.

From the look of that scrape and you say the jacket wasn't damaged it must be the jacket rode up on your arm. There's no way you got that scrape "through" the jacket and didn't damage the jacket.
  18. ontic

ontic

Oddometer:
    :cry

heal up, and repair well. Like others I've followed along and this is really sad. I hope the damage isn't too bad.
  19. sithndman

sithndman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aw, shit, that sucks! Well, you got it all fixed up once, just think of the fun of doing it again! :D
  20. benthic

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words everyone:) my insurance estimator will review the bike's condition next week and do their thing, and then I'll start fiddling with the bike and decide what to do. i HAVE been looking at parts and ideas online though since it hurts to move to much;)

my initial list of needed parts:

left valve cover
    exhaust headers
    mufflers
    instrument cluster
    seat pan
    front rim
    turn signals
    controls
    center stand

but that is just what i can see with no real investigation. we'll see what happens...

Not to belabor the jacket/gear issue, but it was/is a good jacket (Fieldsheer Corsair 2.0, with elbow/shoulder/back armor), and it did not ride up my arm past my elbow. The lesson to take away, is that you can still get injured with quality gear on. this was my second crash, and boy do i hope it was my last!

I hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend:)
    Spencer