F800GS Weight Reduction

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AMusedRider, Jan 29, 2013.

1. AMusedRider

AMusedRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello folks..

Any tips and tricks on how to reduce the weight of a F800GS?

I love my bike but would very much like to reduce the weight as much as I can. Got pinned underneath it a couple of times while riding off-road. :muutt Couldn't really do much but wait for someone to help me pick it up.

On a good day I would be able to pick it up myself but as I do more off-road riding I am getting increasingly wary of the weight and the fact that I might not always have someone to help me out.

Plus, reducing the weight might make it more attractive an option for long distance off road travel. :wings

I cannot do without the crash bars and the bash plate for obvious reasons but I see the following options to get the weight down.
    1. Change the exhaust to a Leo Vince. Will shave off a few pounds.
    2. Switch to the Shorai Ultra Light battery. Savings of up to 8 pounds I am told.

Any other ideas that you have tried and tested??
  2. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Other than the battery and the exhaust there are no significant savings to be had, it will always be a heavy bike for off roading.

Going to a single caliper and narrower rims will make it handle better and feel quite a bit lighter while riding, but won't much difference if the bike is lying on top of you.... Same with a catless header, around 1 kg less IIRC.
  3. SlowRide13

SlowRide13 Veteran n00b

Oddometer:
    Buy an extra set of shiny new plastics/blinkers/levers, and hang them up on your garage wall. Then, maybe you will jump out from under your bike instead of trying to use your body to protect it during a crash :freaky:lol3
  4. BcDano

BcDano One Lucky Dude

Oddometer:
    Got to agree with Lukas (battery & exhaust) not a lot of weight savings to be had even if you had big money to spend. For hardcore terrain you are better off to spend the money on a true off road machine or as has been suggested practice a better crash technique.
  5. DoWorkSon

DoWorkSon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Workout more? Practice deadlifts and leg press? Fill tank with less fuel?

In all honesty the only way I could see serious weight savings would be to replace nearly every small metal part with carbon fiber which would be $$$ and the overall weight savings would be negligible

Street bikes can get very light because they make carbon fiber tanks, wheels, and swingarms...... I don't think carbon fiber would hold up well off road
  6. gbtw

gbtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    What about the F700GS? It is lower, easier to keep it upright. I know, the front wheel is a 19in, and it is cast alloy, and the suspension has less travel. Well, we all deal with compromises.

1. Learn how to crash (get out of the way of the falling mass)
    2. Get a different bike and deal with the compromises
    3. Ride with someone else who can help you

Reducing the weight in a way that will make a difference is almost impossible.
  8. LJRAT

LJRAT LJR Adventure Tours

Oddometer:
    I took 22 lbs off my F8GS but that still wont help when ur pinned under it. Hell my ultralight TE511 is still a lot of weight when ur under it.
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would hold up just fine, but it would make for a 40K motorcycle, if you could get the parts.:D
  10. Gaspare

Gaspare Almost dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Some weight can be shaved off with tubeless conversion, too...
  11. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, better to actually add some weight in the form of protection parts, i.e.: engine bars, skid plate, etc., then when the inevital becomes imminent, just bail clear of the bike and trust those items to do what they are supposed to do. :eek1 Works most of the time, but can lead to some "character" marks on the bike. :lol3

Also good to do some off road skills training or practice to help reduce the frequency of the inevitable.
  12. AMusedRider

AMusedRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LJRAT, what did you have to do to shave off 22lbs? :ear
  13. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I realize this mod is not for everyone, but eliminating the front right rotor and caliper is worth 6 lbs....and that's unsprung weight.
  14. BluWolf

BluWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Add wracks and panniers. This would add weight but most likely keep the bike off the ground/you enough to slide out and pick it up easier.

alternatively, learn to not end up under your bike.
  15. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    This alone will dwarf every other single weight saving you can make.

When you're riding with people on "proper dirtbikes" remember that they only have half, or even a third of the range of your bike. I find out what bikes other people are planning on riding and aim to be at the start (even if that is a gas station) with about 10 miles more range than the shortest-ranged bike.

The "F800GS Wunderlich Light" (Google it) is a good example of a really shaved down F800GS. It's not very pretty and it'd cost a lot to build one, but worth looking at for inspiration.

Good luck!
  16. DoWorkSon

DoWorkSon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I figured the impacts from off-road riding would just snap carbon fiber, but I am no expert on how well it would hold up....

A carbon fiber swingarm, airbox, and tank would definitely reduce some weight, but yeah, your talking about $15k....

How about hacking off the passenger pegs? Those would net you a few pounds, especially if you dont ride 2-up
  17. shashankmittal

shashankmittal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been researching about the same, how to make the 800GS lighter. The first thing that anyone can do in all honesty is to get rid of all the Touratech/other billet accessories. Seriously, they make a heavy bike obese really fast! :D

Now from the practical standpoint, would I do it? No. I want the protection offered by the crash parts and even if it makes the bike heavy, so be it. As others have pointed out, the best mods you can do to reduce weight is:
    1. Full Titanium exhust, should shave off at least 20lbs. Extremely expensive though.
    2. Lightweight Lithium Ion battery like Shorai, etc. Should shave off about 6-8lbs.
    3. You can calculate the distance you'll be off-roading and fill only the necessary amount of gas in your tank. This will however work only for short trips or when you'll not too far away from civilization.
    4. Remove the panniers and luggage racks when you're not carrying luggage.
    5. If you often carry a fuel jog (like Rotopax etc), try mounting it towards the center and low. This will keep the center of gravity close to stock and your bike won't act funny.
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is actually not a bad idea, as they are made from heavy gauge steel. Hmmmmmm....... Yet again, I could loose a few myself...:D
  19. LJRAT

LJRAT LJR Adventure Tours

Oddometer:
    1. Started lighter than most to begin with, me ain't got no stinking ABS. Less weight, less filling, less get-offs! -5.5#s
    2. I don't ever, ever, EVER, Did I say Ever, ride two up so ditched the rear sets completely = -7#s
    3. Tubeless wheel conversion complete with TI fasteners and wave-weight-bye-bye rotors= 6#s
    4. TI axles - 2#s
    5. Me make-em TI rack for back. -7#s
    6. Stupid bits and piece never used. -1.5#s
    7. Ohlins shock. -2.2#s
    8. Me no gots kitty-CAT or fat pig exhaust pipe. -7.2#s
    9. Bar conversion -1#
    10. Battery change -2#s

Roughly 40#s

But added back 18#s in guards and lever guards

So about 20 something in savings. Choice of tires can really improve the wheel weights also.
    Benduro likes this.
  20. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    LJ:

Which brand rotors did you use?

I have one that's got to be replaced anyway, so might as well save a pound or two if I can ...
    Is there any reduction in durability that you are aware of?

Thanks for any tips!