KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. CallMeBoog

CallMeBoog hi functioning idiom

Oddometer:
    Hey folks.

I recently moved up to KLR - I traded a buddy an 09 sherpa for an 08 KLR.

Anyway, I had the tank off today, and noticed this tube coming out of the head. the hose on the end had burned off, and there was a bunch of soot on the end of the pipe. What is it, and where is the hose supposed to go??

[​IMG]
  2. the borg

the borg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is the Air Induction System. You either need to hook it back up or remove it and block off the port and the vacuum port on the carb.
  3. CallMeBoog

Oddometer:
    hook it back up to what? where does this go? I'm not having any luck searching
  4. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    Hey I like the FAT BOY bulb idea,Any issues with powering it,I ride at night a lot and your correct Gen1 is sketchy in the dark.
  5. 8lives

Oddometer:
    Oh and Viper it looks really good,but wear some HI VIZ.
  6. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks, I have been debating it and have only removed the stickers on the panels under the seat. That looks really mean. Now just get off my lazy ass!!
  7. D_A

D_A Long timer

Oddometer:
    It provides a source of fresh air into the exhaust system to help finish the combustion process. In short, it's pollution/emissions gear. The other end of the hose should have been connected to the filtered side of the air box or the carby somewhere. If you decide to remove it make sure to block off both ends, one at the head the other at the air source, or it will run like crap.
  8. Airjunky

Airjunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scored a Hennessey hammock off ebay. Hoping to do a little motorcycle camping this summer.
    [​IMG]

-Bill
  9. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Generation 1 alternator has enough "juice" to power the FAT BOY H4, in my experience.

If you use a relay harness, a solid, low-resistance frame ground connection near the headlight socket is essential.
  10. rodmuzwa

rodmuzwa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did you do it?
  11. viper770

viper770 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the sticker just peals off took me like 2 minnets lol
  12. 8lives

Oddometer:
    Do you need the relay harness?
  13. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    I just have a cheap $25 hammock with an upgraded harness that actually cost more than the hammock, but it's some of the best nights sleep I've had. I am really happy with mine!

I've got a tiny tarp that I made to go camping, but it's too small for the hammock. I've rigged up some cheap plastic sheeting to be a tarp, and I'll be using it all for 3 nights next weekend at a local D/S event. Apart from the RV guys, I guess I'll be one of the most well rested guys out there.
    kf7ja likes this.
  14. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    On the right side behind the shroud, you should be able to see it though the vent hole of the shroud if it's still in place. What's remaining of the hose in your picture should be pointing towards it. I can tell you that the Clymer manual if you have one doesn't say anything about it.
  15. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What can you substitute for the grommets that melt away on the exhaust pipe heat shield?
  16. CallMeBoog

Oddometer:
    okay. i (uhhh) "obtained" (uhhhh) a copy of the factory service manual, and you are right, there is some vacuum pump thing on the right side near the rad puke bottle. I do not have one, so one of the PO's removed it, and probably just plugged the hose.

I got this bike from FredGreen, who got it from JDRocks, who also got it used...it's changed hands alot in 5 years!

It's got the IMS tank, highway peg guard / skidplate combo from HappyTrail (ithink), custom seat, and all the fairings removed, and the headlight changed.

I'm looking to swap the headlight (small square thing with tiny shroud) to something like a trailtech baja, or one of the dominator dual 4" lamp setups.

Photobucket is being a PITA right now, but pics are coming!

love this bike
  17. road_apple

road_apple Hit the Trail

Oddometer:
    Air Induction System blockoff plate or make your own by making sure the tube is airtight. There's a little oring under that plate with the tube coming off it, no air leaks. There is a tee connection on the top of the carb that provides vacum for this and a vacum oprated fuel petcock, make sure that is sealed too. All got modded with the IMS tank probabily. It caused backfiring and it's thought to contribute to cherry red exhaust syndrome so people removed it.

http://www.eaglemike.com/Air-injection-blockoff-kit-AIS.htm
  18. KamikazeKLR

KamikazeKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a question about a KLR tank...

Mine, when you lay the bike down, will kinda leak gas out the gas cap.It doesn't come POURING out, but... It doesn't look like it should be doing that is what I'm saying.

What's a good, easy fix for that?
  19. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    My 09 does the same thing since new, never worried about it but my 1990 doesn't leak. I'd like to see some feedback. ????
  20. bdcorrigan

bdcorrigan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Easy fix... Ride it more so there is less gas in it and don't lay her down. :rofl