NEOhio ADV & TAG!

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by SlipChip, Sep 11, 2007.

1. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    Triumph Tiger XC dry weight 460 lbs- KLR 650 dry weight 390 lbs

Makes a big difference to an old guy like me.
  2. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    I guess light weight for me in an adventure bike means around 300#. The KTM 690 R comes to mind when I think light weight adventure bike. I will say that it's a lot easier picking up the KLR than the F800 though. I've never owned a Wee. I had no idea they were that heavy.
  3. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    That's the only thing I really wished Suzuki put on the Dr. As is I either get too high bottom or too low top if I swap gears,or a little of each if i leave it stock.
  4. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    324 - dr650
  5. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    With a 6th gear, the DR400 would be awesome.
  6. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    If I keep mine, I'll prob throw something like a Shinko 705 on it and gear up some since it's not gonna see anything besides pavement, gravel, and fireroads.
  7. ThomasVolomitz

Oddometer:
    Funny, I just ordered a set of 705s this morning.
  8. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    What are you running now? I'm interested in how they are on the pavement, I liked the Shinko 244 pretty well on the pavement, not nearly as grippy as the 606 on my WR, but the thing wore like iron, I put close to 5000 miles on it and it still had a decent amount of life left.
  9. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    Ever ride a 350? They're the only Dr with a 6 speed. Or like minded bike until you get into Euro bikes that I know of. Always wondered if a 350 tranny could swap over or if one could be modded to 650 torque specs.
  10. ThomasVolomitz

Oddometer:
    I am on the stock tires but 4000 miles and the back one looks bad. I had 705s on the strom and the Tiger. Very good street tires and decent in the gravel. And cheap!!! $107 for the pair shipped from Motorcycle Superstore via Amazon.
  11. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Wow, way too tired to go into it right now, but there is legislation in committee that would eliminate the dedicated fund for the Motorcycle Ohio program. Someone remind me tomorrow.
  12. coolbluedab

coolbluedab The Frosted Ferret

Oddometer:
    Why not just replace the top gear, with a longer one so that while there is a large gap between 4-5. At least when it comes to accel, 1-4... all is well, and a tall 5th allows for cruising. It would let you gear it all down, and keep top end. Admittedly not as smooth on last gear. But wouldn't it allow for what everyone wants?
  13. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    My wife was digging around online and noticed that the cost of the MSF courses has doubled over the last few years. IIRC, Motorcycle Ohio runs the MSF courses here in Ohio?
  14. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    So now that it's some God awful hour in the morning,who do we need to lynch?
  15. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    Got a source for one? As far as I know they only make 3rd gear replacement sets that cost a tenth of a new bike. Even then 3rd gear failures were very few and far between. Something like 5 bikes out of 200k. Custom gears..yeah...might as well buy the burg instead of shelling that much out.
  16. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    In the last year or two msf went from 20 or 25 up to 50. The guys there cited lack of instructors,fuel cost,and bike cost.
  17. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    That is correct. I'll have a full write up on the OMTA website later today, and i'll link it here.

The cliff notes:
    M.O. has a dedicated fund that pays for operating the program, supplemented by the now $50 fee. Language in the transportation budget bill, HB35 would combine the fund with the larger Ohio Highway Patrol Safety Fund, but the money would still be ear marked for Motorcycle Ohio. It's a "slippery slope" kind of thing, combining the fund makes it easier to raid in the future.
  18. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Also correct, although the rider fees only cover a fraction of the cost to operate.
  19. argon76

argon76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Come to the KLR side Muddy!!!! They're inexpensive and your bike's in pieces anyhow.
  20. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    But the KLR is soooo fat! I have done some serious thought about selling the X-Co this spring to fund something like a V-Strom for 2 up riding. The problem is I LOVE the bike. Well, i love riding it. Working on it and the goofy shit BMW did in design gives me headaches. The next bike move for us is something bigger for 2 up, and then i'd like to get a smaller trail bike. Even then I'd hate to sell the X-Co. Besides the fun factor their are a lot of memories attached to it for both me and Mala Bunny.