ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    What brand is that one? I have a Flatland Racing aluminum unit on mine which has had some abuse.

It is hard for me to imagine using something made of plastic, fiberglass or carbon fiber on anything but a track bike. It seems like I would be buying a new one every year after dragging the bike over roots and rocks. Kind of like the annual pipe straightening schedule I had going on my old KTM 200 EXC.
  2. goat311

goat311 n00b

Oddometer:
    What the hell am I supposed to do with my free time now that I have finished this thread, Ride? So much info Loved it.

I have 4 hours on my 13' 500exc. Traded up from my trusty 525.

I have a few questions:

New to SF bay area looking for folks to ride with on the weekends. Been to Metcalf and Hollister a bunch I have raced the VCGP the last couple of years and it beat the hell out of me.

Is there a shop that will load the euro map for me around here?

Anybody close have the TPS tool? I am running the stock setting and dont have any issues but if it is the hip thing to do I should give a shot right?:rofl
  3. harcus

harcus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blatant advert...

We fab & sell these. ...

[​IMG]

Available here ...

http://www.globetrottin.com/Skid-plate--Composite-full-coverage-for-KTM-500-EXC-XCW_p_23.html

They work & you will never have that happen again. Plus they protect the clutch & rotor covers. :D
  4. mcg

mcg n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm about to desmog the bike. to plug the hole (with a M12 X 20mm bolt) for the auxiliary air on the head, which type of fastener should I use ? basically what material bolt ? Stainless Steel, alum, or oxide steel ?
  5. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you look at the parts breakdown for the 500 XCW, you will find the proper hardware listed to fit into the holes on your 500 EXC. I just ordered them at the same time I ordered all my spare parts. The breakdown may even tell you what size the screws are.
  6. CacheFlow

CacheFlow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the carbon skid plate quick release for oil changes? I like that feature on the factory plastic skid.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Okieboy2

Okieboy2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hope this isn't a stupid question but will it work on the XC-W's ?
  8. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I would sure think KTM would use the same connectors on the TPS for both models. I guess you could look at both parts fiches. Probably even the wiring harness is the same, with some unused connections on the XC-W.
  9. harcus

harcus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you are referring to our skid plate or not but...

We use (2) M6 fasteners for retaining the plate. We found that a good impact could knock loose one fastener & two provides redundancy (like on aircraft). This means that it will take you 2 minutes vs 1 to remove it for the oil change. But also there will be oil in there to change. :D
  10. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everyone I ride with that uses the factory KTM skid plate with the Dzus fasteners also uses a thick zip-tie to keep them in place.

I have seen more than one of those skid plates go flying when they take a hard hit.

I use a Hyde Racing skid plate that's held in by bolts and a backing plate.

It takes me a couple more minutes to do an oil change, since I am not racing the 6 days international race a few more minutes in the garage is not going to kill me.

What I find is that I don't get the engine noise coming back up at me with an aluminum skidplate.

I also find that the plastic / CF skidplates slide over rocks and logs a lot easier than the aluminum ones do.
  11. CacheFlow

CacheFlow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank You, yes I was referring to your carbon skidplate. I guess that does make a lot of sense. Any of you guys prefer the aluminum plates like the acerbis? If so why? I want to buy one and done.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  12. five03rider

five03rider n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, just wanted to throw out some information I acquired over the last couple days.

I noticed that my motor, specifically the valve train was being a little more noisy than usual. So i decided to do a valve check as i just hit the 15 hour mark.

I cant speak for all the exc's, but i will say that these bikes seem to be very particular when it comes to valve clearance and a noisy engine.

My 2 intake valves were dead at .100... the clearance is .100 to .150mm

One exhaust valve was at .115 and the other at .127, range is .120 to .170mm

I purchased the hotcams valve shim set from cyclebuy.

The main thing i came accross is that you should check with a caliper before you put them in. The hotcam shims are all a little bit smaller than the KTM shims that were in the bike. So when i first did the change over i went down a shim on all the cylinders. This ended up being too much and the motor sounded like my cummins... lol

Ended up going back to 2.80 shims, just like the KTM ones that came out. I must say that there is a definite difference as i was able to get the bike perfectly in the middle of spec with those sizes. She runs sooo quiet now and seems to have a bit more torque.

This is my first thumper coming off riding sportbikes my whole life, so there is definetly a bit of difference when it comes to doing the valves.

Anyway, ill leave you with a pic of my mostly stock bike... Just has the supermoto wheels, a custom tune, and vanished emmissions. :D

[​IMG]
  13. BanhXeo

BanhXeo Sushiman

Oddometer:
    +1 for the Supermoto pic..Offroad :thumb
  14. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    I just got a box of sexy goodness from Highway Dirtbiker :clap

I was hoping to avoid a search back through the thread; how do the little indicator lights come out of the existing instrument cluster?
    TIA
  15. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used a deep socket of the appropriate diameter to support the cluster and then pushed them out. It seems like some of them required a little persuasion with the rubber mallet. They fit right into the holes in the HDB stuff.
  16. Dirty in all

Dirty in all Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer:
    Be gentle! I snapped the colored lens off of one of them.
  17. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    I will talk dirty to them first.
  18. pdpete

pdpete its the journey

Oddometer:
    take the odo off & the mount under hot water first
  19. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just removed the CS sprocket to grease the splines with Moly Pro 60. Can someone confirm that the torque value for the CS bolt is (73.8 lb ft)? Owners manual states (Nut, Primary gear, M20LHx1.5, 100Nm 73.8 lb ft).

Just want to make sure I'm reading this right. Primary gear = countershaft sprocket?
  20. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well time had been progressing much too slowly for me, had a 500 and bones not knitting together meant no riding for the longest time.

Finally got on the bike for a 3 day ride to test some gear out. Sadly dirt is something I should still be staying away from for a bit, but at least the ride got me out and about testing some gear.

[​IMG]

Only thing is after two days of nothing but pavement I was bored shitless. The motor is nice and smooth, even smoother with the vibes dampened with the Faast Flex bars.

However the lure of dirt made me throw caution to the wind and into the dirt I ducked for a quick spin. Had the tires pumped to 32 PSI for the pavement and once on the wet clay of northern Thailand proceeded to slip and slide everywhere. The bars would be turned for a corner and the bike would plow straight on into the bush. Welcome back to offroading I thought as I the bike careened off the track yet again. Bloody scary.

Found a place on the singletrack to call it a day and tuck in for the night. Had the forest floor looking like a frat house within 10 minutes of killing the motor.

[​IMG]

The offroad was waaay too short as I need to get the bones properly healed before having too much fun but it sure was nice after an eight month layoff due to injuries to be on a dirt bike again.