Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bato El Guapo
  2. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Just words to the wise one of the RV boards is discussing the hijacking and theft of a man's new pickup truck on a road between Alamos and Los Mochis. This happened around January 6th on what was described as a 4-lane road so it's not totally back in the boondocks. This is, relatively speaking, the same general area where those motorcyclists were stopped and ran the road block between Alamos and El Fuerte a few months ago.
  3. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Not quit ready to roll but almost....
    Vista from casa Manolo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or something like that...
  4. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just read in a RR that because both of our bikes are titled in my name, Mrs. Trip will not be able to get a vehicle permit to ride in Mexico. Is this correct? We just never bothered to change it because of the bureaucratic hellhole that is the RI DMV. It will take a while to get a new title...its gonna kill my trip :cry
    Say it ain't so, Joe!

RMO...I sent a few bucks your way as thanks for you guys helping out a noobian...
  5. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Yes it may be a show stopper. But if you are only riding Mexico, you will not need the official raised seal title. The registration and a valid plate are all you need as long as it is in her name or both names. Just present the registration with her DL and visa. Don't know about title requirements for countries south of here.

I'm guessing you are trailering the bikes. If you can't get the permanent docs right away can you have them mailed to someone near your border crossing point with some certainty that they will be there on time?

What happens when you buy a vehicle in RI? What ownership docs (registration) can you get right away? Do you get a temporary tag or a new plate? Can you find a sympathic clerk that can expedite things? Off the top of my head, can you find a state en-route where you can "sell" or give the bike to your wife and get new ownership papers and a plate in her name the same day? I know several states require an inspection and VIN verification on an out of state bike that could screw this up. Plus it could be ugly and involve additional ownership taxes. That's the limit of my straw grasping and thinking out loud on this one. Good luck

And make sure that the names on the ownership docs, Your DL and your passport match.
  6. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:

Uh oh. I don't think that's good.

Paging TricePilot and SR to the green courtesy phone... (Trice is kinda our expert on this stuff- but he's in Mexico. Maybe SR is around here somewhere...)
  7. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I can probably get a new registration in her name. I know it takes at least 60 days for them to issue a new title. We are only going to Mexico, and trailering to Presidio. Have to take a field trip to the DMV. Never gave it any thought until I read that RR. Good thing I saw it!
  8. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I have lived full time in Mexico for 5 years and bring lots of people across the border in their cars, trucks and motorcycles on tours and to my hotel. You do not need a title, the registration doc is your ticket.
  9. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Sign the bike's title over to her. Block print her name clearly, then sign. This should work.
  10. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We have arrived to this view of the Pacific at Melaque
  11. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make sure her name on all documents is the same: registration, drivers license, passport.
    It just make it a lot easier, 'cause there is less reason for anyone to question the documents.
  12. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know that place! Was there two years ago. Isn't there a big resort there?

Rhode trip, thanks for the contribution.

I had lunch today with a musician friend that I had not seen since the early 80's... he was Van Morrison and Boz Scaggs' drummer, produced some stuff, regular LA session guy. Moved down here 7 years ago and is gigging around town with some buddies, blues and jazz. Took me to a great place for a 50 peso lunch. Over lunch I told him about Sara and he handed me 500 pesos. Thanks to all we can give her back the money she lost... her dignity and security not so simple.
  13. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    I am going to chime in here based on my limited but recent experience. At the Palomas crossing they checked that my name matched on my driver's license, registration and credit card. From everything that I have read here you are only allowed to temporarily import one motor vehicle here at a time. Rhode trip, if your name is on the title of both vehicles, even if your wife is riding one of them, it might appear to the Mexican officials that you are trying to import two vehicles and they will not let you do that. Furthermore, given all of the reasons that have been give here your wife will have to have her name matching on her driver's license, the vehicle registration (title not needed), and the credit card that she is paying with. On the other hand if she is carrying a notarized letter that authorizes her to take your vehicle into Mexico and her name on that letter is exactly as it is on her drivers license and the credit card of payment then maybe there is no problem. In so many of these situations it very much depends on the person you are dealing with at Banjercito and how willing they are to think outside of a very densely defined box. I have no idea how many married couples do this sort of thing but I would guess not many so they may never have seen anything like this before. Call Banjercito: 011-52-555-328-2329. They were very helpful when I called. Buena suerte.
  14. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    David,
    If Sara gives you any static about taking the money, tell her we are very passionate about helping friends in need and that's all there is to it. Its the Golden Rule.
    During Hurricane Katrina I lost my home. A lot of people graciously helped me a lot. I will never forget them and their kindness.
  15. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Further to my last: The guy I spoke with at Banjercito spoke English well. You may have better luck dealing with someone on the phone who is at headquarters, not at a border outpost. Any amount of time spent on the phone in the comfort of your home is better than any time spent at a border crossing with your bikes outside hearing sorry senor this is not possible. Write a script for your discussion with Banjercito, it will help you focus and be more efficient on the call. In simple declarative sentences explain your situation and what you are trying to accomplish. Couch it in terms of can you please help me solve this problem. It is very much in the character of the friendly Mexican people to want to help. Banjercito is not the IRS. I suspect that you will finish the call with an answer and a plan.

David
  16. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/57178921" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/57178921">HUATUSCO VER</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user15746066"></a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  17. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Que padre!
  18. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YES! I went pro Hero3:rofl:rofl:clap:
  19. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Nobody but me remembers Boz Scaggs!

Lido!!!!!!!
  20. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    "BEGIN TEXT.
    The U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara recommends American Citizens defer non-essential travel to areas of the state of Colima that border the state of Michoacan, including the city of Tecoman. You should also exercise caution when travelling to other parts of the state, including the towns of Colima city and Manzanillo. The security situation along the Michoacan border continues to be the most unstable with shootouts occurring between rival criminal groups and with Mexican authorities. Homicides throughout the state have risen sharply in 2012.

The Consulate recommends you review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities."

Got this warning from the State Department via Kiko

So this spot, is exactly where we rode today, to check it out!