Poor man's arai XD

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by eakins, Feb 18, 2007.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  2. Schtum

Schtum Free Genie

Oddometer:
    You've posted a truncated URL and whatever cheap helmet you've bought, will it offer anywhere near the protection of an Arai...?
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i didn't say i bought toughguy. so bit my wire.
    i actually own an XD but was trying to pass along info for others.
  4. duckrider

duckrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:

An HJC dosen't offer anywhere near the protection of an Arai? I'd like to see the documentation to back up that statement. Sounds like bull shit to me.
  5. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    Not a bad looking helmet. I like the fit of the ac-x2. I'm about to buy that for a dirt only lid and keep the XD for the dual sporting.

{hijack}

DOT is DOT isn't it? Is there hard core proof out there (let's not argue SNELL right now) that a 500 dollar lid provides more protection? Is the difference mostly weight and the fine details...like noise, quality of vents, etc?

I've seen folks in expensive cars with near endless airbags, etc die while the guy in the inexpensive car with no safety features other than a seatbelt survive. I have a hard time accepting "safety only for people with the $$$ for expensive stuff."

{/hijack}
  6. BOHUNTR

BOHUNTR Character and Honor Count

Oddometer:
    There was a sign in the motorcycle shop where I worked as a kid. It said "If you have a $2.00 head, wear a $2.00 helmet."

I've taken that to heart since I saw a good friend of mine have a collision with a car outside of the high school parking lot. This was 1982, and she had a Bell fullface helmet. The helmet was shattered at the chin piece, but she had no head injuries, though numerous other injuries.

I have an XD now and am going to get another full face as well.

John
  7. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Crash studies have showed that a big $ full face DOT helmet protects no better than a low budget full face DOT Helmet.
  8. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And if it is that easy to persuade someone to put down that much cash for a helmet that doesn't actually offer more protection (comfort yes, protection no) then, well, maybe the person actually DOES have a $2.00 head .... :D

:hide
  9. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    That's the same old shite that comes out every time helmets are mentioned. If a helmet passes the apporpriate tests then other factors aside (cost, personal comfort, noise, access to spares etc.) that's good enough.

Where's the limit then ? You have a $200 or a $300 head ? How about $1,000 ?
  10. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    Did they happen to sell helmets? I would be more impressed if I saw that sign in hospitals or at the DMV or from the MSF.

This example doesn't speak to the difference in prices...only that a helmet saved her.
  11. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Personally I hope they bring more of these type helmets to the USA in the near future!!:thumb

I currently use a modular street helmet because I like the flip shield rather than goggles and a street full face doesn't offer enough breathing room when you find yourself on a tight technical trail.

I have several helmets including an Arai full face.(that's spent most of it's life on a shelf) I would like to have an XD and may just have to buy one if the competition doesn't get it's act in gear!

btw I think an HJC may even be a better helmet than the Arai!:deal The last helmet test I seen a $79 lid won for best impact protection!!:ksteve
  12. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Anyone who uses that $2 head line is ill-informed. Need I point everyone ONCE AGAIN to the infamous "Motorcyclist" article regarding helmet safety?

And besides, I have a ONE MILLION DOLLAR head, so I guess I am shit out of luck 'cause I can't seem to find a $1,000,000 helmet. Maybe I'll find one at the motorcycle show this weekend...

I still say for the money my $150 Scorpion VX-17 is the best helmet I have ever owned, including my Shoei.

:thumb
  13. Jet Jaguar

Jet Jaguar King of the poseurs

Oddometer:
    Forget about price point, what if the XD doesn't fit your head shape? You're SOL because there's no other choice. A helmet that doesn't fit right isn't safer than one that does, no matter how expensive it is.

Anyway, to get back to the OP, according to this thread the US distributor of HJC helmets has absolutely no interest in bringing the CL-XS to the US. It's a shame, between the CL-XS, Shoei Hornet, and the Airoh S4 and Tyger, riders have a choice of DS helmets in Europe, but none of those alternatives are available here. Some folks will have these helmets shipped from overseas on their own, but I'd be nervous about buying a helmet that I couldn't try on in person first. Well, I might be willing to take a chance on a CL-XS since I have an HJC AC-X3 that fits me well, but the shipping charges are a deal breaker...
  14. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    I like those scorpion helmets, Flux. I just wish they had a modular. I've been looking at the AGV Miglia as well. I would put the comfort of the Scorpion up there with the top $$$ helmets I have tried, but I've only worn them for about an hour and not on a bike.

This is why it takes three estimates. I would have said about $37.50.

How about this? It even has a visor.

[​IMG]
  15. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    Jet, Is there a fit difference between the AC-X2 and X3? Like most helmet websites, the HJC gives so great info. Is the X3 just a repalcement for the X2 or is it different fitting X2 shaped like Arai and X3 shaped like Shoei or something like that?
  16. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    That $2 head/helmet was a Bell slogan from back in the day when Bell was the helmet brand. They were one of the first to meet Snell standards, when a lot of helmets had sponge rubber for protection.
  17. paochow

paochow Bye bye desert

Oddometer:
    Enough arguing already, I think the point here is that we need another damn DS helmet for the US market without having to buy from overseas.

I love the look of the arai xd, but the fit wasn't even close. I bought a Shoei Hornet, fit good, but the thing lifted way too much at high speed, much more than a motorcross helmet, so I ended up selling it. Now I'm looking again for a more affordable helmet that I can take off road and fill with dust, mud and the like and not feel guilty about replacing every two years because it's grungy.
  18. Jet Jaguar

Jet Jaguar King of the poseurs

Oddometer:
    Sorry I can't help you, but I've never tried an X2.
  19. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Where did you find a Shoei hornet? I love Shoei helmet's but haven't ever seen a Hornet in real life. Plus, the ones on their website never show nor mention the visor. I'm assuming it's not available in the U.S.

Oh, just found out that HelmetPro.com no longer ships internationally. :cry
  20. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    I agree there!