Commuting: The strange. The Odd. And the FUN

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jun 8, 2011.

1. SxyRdr

SxyRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I think y'all are misinterpreting what I typed. Yes, I used the word "dove" but every single lane change I made was legal; and there weren't that many and none were "drastic." I did not exceed the speed limit. I was not passing in turning lanes while exceeding the speed limit. He was the one doing these things to catch up to and ride with me.

Eh, whatever.
  2. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Hmm, if he was speeding....and you weren't...how come you still managed to end up "several cars ahead of him"?
  3. mjc506

mjc506 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That really is you in your avatar, isn't it!

Surely it can't be too difficult for you to comprehend that a vehicle travelling at (say) the 50mph speed limit constantly will travel further than one travelling at 40mph for most of the time, and then short spurts of 60mph occasionally?
  4. SxyRdr

SxyRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heavy-ish traffic. Speed limit is 45, traffic was moving at about 35. 2 lanes, sometimes one lane would move ahead while the other stopped.

And adding to that, he used the turning lanes to pass traffic.
  5. SxyRdr

SxyRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since some of y'all already think I'm a bitch/douche...

Stupid woman driving a BMW stopping suddenly in the left lane to make a left turn when there's a perfectly good left turn lane... hard braking, not sure if guy behind me was going to stop in time (he almost hit her), swerve onto the dotted white line because that was my only escape, roll on the throttle to get past the possible carnage that was about to happen.

My first experience lane splitting. Not real happy about it. Luckily the guy that was to my right and slightly behind me saw what was happening and went right and slowed to give me some room.
  6. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    So who was constantly doing 50 and who was spurting? because now is sounds like the person driving at an erratic speed, and in a self confessed erratic manner, was SxyRdr...whilst the other rider was the one doing the illegal over-takes.

My point being, other than having some fun at Sxy's expense, is that there's always two sides to a story and, with very rare exception, we only ever hear one side of that story here.

This time around, having read Sxy's account, it sounded to me, and I think, to others, as though she spotted another bike coming up on her 6 and started, for no justifiable reason, to try to stay ahead of him/her (rather than take the clearly safer option and do nothing) and then posted about how bad that other rider's behaviour whilst clearly implying her own was above reproach when it very obviously wasn't.

I'm not defending the other rider's actions, but I wasn't there and we've only Sxy's word to take for what that other rider did, or didn't do, whilst it's her own words that damn her. One account is hearsay, the other's a confession - but on the plus side, they're good for the soul. And fuck-ups (assuming you survive) make you a better rider, if you can learn from them.
  7. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that, saw your personalized plate and had to get a better look to see if it was true...:evil:wink:

[​IMG]
  8. SxyRdr

SxyRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me dumb it down for you:
    Lots of traffic.
    Moving 35ish on average.
    Sometimes one lane moves faster than the other.
    I was anywhere between 25 mph and 45 mph (speed limit) depending upon other traffic's ability to move.
    I made legal/safe lane changes.

Other rider was riding illegally/recklessly weaving in/out of traffic and using turning lanes to pass vehicles.

:D Turn around is fair play... it's "there are two sides"....

Yes, you're right (see, proper spelling this time :lol3 ), there are two sides. But, seeing someone riding like an :asshat trying to catch up to me in heavy-ish traffic.... yeah, I don't want to ride with you... period. I don't want to be associated with you... period. I don't want to be anywhere near you. Clear? He made the choice to ride the way he did. I didn't force him to.

I'll never understand why someone would want to ride right next to a stranger. For all he knew, I could've been a complete newb who would've crashed into him at the next stop light. If I don't know you or your riding style, I give you plenty of room to make your mistakes in.
  9. SxyRdr

SxyRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Yep, happens all the time.

Petite, Asian female on a liter super sport. So I guess it was my fault for enticing him to ride recklessly then.

It is interesting how many females I get coming through my BRC classes... but then I see so few females out on the road.
  10. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Bugger! :evil Thanks :D
  11. WDG

WDG …Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    Don't feed the troll, he gets off on that. Just put him on "Ignore" like so many of us have done. :D
  12. Merckx the Cannibal

Merckx the Cannibal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha ha! Yes, it is!

You guys ... smh
  13. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Zzzzz. Some of you are way too sensitive to be on the interweb.
  14. henshao

henshao Bained

Oddometer:
    I always recommend to people they learn to ride at a MSF style course before they ever get a bike; allows some people to figure out riding is definitely not for them, drop someone else's bike, et cetera.
  15. UnsureFooting

UnsureFooting Title of User Here

Oddometer:
    Think of it like this: the basement is the gloves off, drunken, loud party.

The rest is supposed to be semi-polite.
  16. pinocono

pinocono Fucking Pirate

Oddometer:
    And you're just like a BSC bitch that's always got to have the last word on EVERYTHING! My gawd, do you ever step away from the keyboard?
  17. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    If it takes 3 or 4 attempts to explain why your commuting experience was worth sharing, it probably wasn't. NBD telling it once but responding to CatWinkle baiting you was just plain dumb.
  18. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    occasionally, my commute is pleasant. This past Monday was just one of those magical, crystal clear days. It was a few fleeting moments of bliss before being chucked into the worst traffic on the continent....

but it sure was nice for a moment

[​IMG]
  19. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    I can identify with this. I don't want to be near any rider I don't know well. My experience is that most of them are incompetent or borderline. This is also why I don't do group rides. I have my own way of dealing with traffic, and it works very well.

Reading the threads here, I'm amazed at how many people post up their continuing problems with car drivers and their close calls, things I personally don't have very often. I finally figured out that it's because I don't put myself in situations where they can occur, and this can't be done in traffic while riding with anyone else. Sound familiar?

On the open road it's a bit different, and there are a few close friends who I will ride with because we are enough alike to get along.
  20. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    Your commute takes you to mexico city?