1 Triumph, 1 Brit. 20,000 Miles, The Long Way Home

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Paulemery, Jul 11, 2012.

1. DirtyFrog

DirtyFrog n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm so in. Nice route too. If you make a stop in San Francisco, I have a guestroom and/or a hammok under the redwoods in the backyard available free of charge, your choice. 3 miles from a local motorcycle landmark (Alice's Restaurant in Woodside), just pm me. Enjoy the preps and the ride!
  2. Paulemery

Paulemery Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks Fella, I may just take you up on this, but I am more than aware that the trip isn't until early next year and won't be offended if things change

P
  3. Paulemery

Paulemery Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    tkc80 rear tire has a range of about 4-5000 miles you know this right? Also you may want to look at rotopax to carry additional fuel, a lot better than standard "red cans"
  5. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, I just watched the short, way too short video clip of the 1932 RTW adventure and need to see all of the adventure films offered on that site....what a treat those films would be. Damn!

Back to topic.....I also have thought about a RTW trip almost in the same route you are taking without the USa portion and staying within Canada.....but soon stopped the thoughts when I found out the costs of getting from Vanvouver to the far east. Have you priced this out yet and what did you find? I was so shocked it finished my RTW adventure before even getting off the ground.....sadly.

Fuel will be a huge issue for such a short range machine, I get double what you are talking about and still think it not enough carrying 5 gallons extra.

I'm in for sure.......good luck and I'm all ears!!!!
  6. Paulemery

Paulemery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul

The plan for the tires is to change to the TKC80's once in Vancouver and carry a second set on the bike, that will give me a range of around 8-10k miles from Russia, then when I need to change after that it will be a challenge I will have to overcome.

I have briefly looked at the rotopax stuff, and need to look at it in more detail and see how it can hold my requirements in relation to both quantity and connecting to the bike.
  7. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    i run Kenda K270 (its a 50/50 tire) and i get 10,000 miles out of every rear, no matter what terrain i am on, just about to change the rear and i did approx 3000 off road and 7000 on...the front don't wear so good so i'm going to switch to a Heidneau (sp) i have a friend who got over 16,000 miles from his front

think about that then additional tires aren't required

because of your very limited mileage you may want to check these out http://justgastanks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1825 if you don't like the idea of rotopax...about the same price as 3 rotopax but almost 5 times the capacity, you just need to figure out a way to attach it when full

...and as for your luggage i personally wouldn't use metal mule, for the same money get Jesse Luggage much better build quality...i am a fabricator by trade and Jesse stuff is top notch, MM is rivited, not enough folds to hold structure incase of a fall, the mount system is good until you have an off then it can become a problem, just my 2 cents
  8. Paulemery

Paulemery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys

It's been a while but I have been working super hard to put the trip together and the majority of kit is here

I am now about 6 weeks out from start date

[​IMG]
  9. fraser2312

fraser2312 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing the bike with all that gear on :lurk
  10. curlesw

curlesw 05 RT n00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great adventure...look forward to watching the unfold.

Wayne C,
  11. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    This sounds good, count me in...

Hope the rest of your prep goes well and we see you en route soon..:clap

Are you planning on filming it?

Subscribed

Cheers
    Potski :freaky
  12. blacktruck

blacktruck Shiftless

Oddometer:
    Not quite Arkansas but I can see it from here.
    I've been to some of those areas but never on a bike. I'm in, this is a trip I would like to do.:clap
    Ride safe and keep us posted..
  13. Paulemery

Paulemery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I started work on the bike over the last few days,

It would have been fully completed but I managed to round the bolts of the rear disc and have no clue how to remove them now, without access to a grinder, drill or something to cut into the bolt so at the minute i'm at a bit of a loss

[​IMG]
  14. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Post a close-up shot of what you're dealing with and I'm sure the collective here can help.
  15. Paulemery

Paulemery Adventurer

Oddometer:

Its an M8 hex bolt head that has sheared, I was only using a hand Allen key but still managed to screw myself,

[​IMG]
  16. Paulemery

Paulemery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Potski,

I am filming it, everything from the prep, video diary and the on the road, I want to put together a little web episode series at the end of the trip.

At first I didn't like talking to the camera but now as I am doing all of this on my own its become a much needed outlet to talk about.

17. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Is there not a nut in the other side? I know on the dirt bike wheels there is but with these which look like a cast they may be threaded direct into the casting. Best way I can think of if to insert an Allen wrench and spot weld it to the bike head. Unthread it and replace with new.

18. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Is there not a nut in the other side? I know on the dirt bike wheels there is but with these which look like a cast they may be threaded direct into the casting. Best way I can think of if to insert an Allen wrench and spot weld it to the bolt head. Unthread it and replace with new.

19. Paulemery

Paulemery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds very logical, just need to someone with a spot welder...

Thank mate, much appreciated

20. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    before you weld, try to restore the hex hole by pounding it with a small ball peen hammer. heat up the bolt heads and surrounding areas, then try to loosen it. good chance a red loctite was used to install to bolts. good luck.

wish you the best on your journey.