Virginia to Alaska and back on an '86 Yamaha Radian

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ruffntuff, Oct 2, 2012.

1. The Cheese

The Cheese n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there Anna,

Thanks for getting back to me.

First, I would like to congratulate you on your choice of an '86 Blue...I am a bit partial to those.

I see what you are saying about the decrease in mileage due to an increase in speed, and it is tempting to chalk it all up to aerodynamics...an unfaired Radian is about as aerodynamic as a brick, and I could see where the addition of a windshield may exacerbate the issue.

However, I just want to throw something out there that may also be a part of the issue. I will PM you, as most folks reading this thread will not be interested.

Thanks for posting this awesome RR, I am enjoying the hell out of it :)

Peace,

Rich
  2. pkbinder

pkbinder Kissing Moose

Oddometer:
    "Mr. Anderson, here in Canada if you go 30 kmh over the speed limit (80mph in the 100/kmh zone) we WILL seize your conveyance and you will wait to see the magistrate to get it back. Now that would put a damper on your ride wouldn't it? Just want you to know so you will have a pleasant time in our country."

You should have replied "My NAME is NEO!"
    Kirkuchiyo likes this.
  3. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts.

Oddometer:
    An examination of weather patterns is a heck of a lot better than rolling the dice. This is especially pertinent when going into high elevations and heading into the north country.:wink:
    ONandOFF likes this.
  4. dirty dog

dirty dog n00b

Oddometer:
    best report I have read.The Va connection first got my attention. Are you still riding in the Va area?
  5. rodr

rodr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait, you mean it takes hard work to compose a totally awesome ride report? :lol3

Just found this one today. Know that you have made my work day very unproductive. Anna, you rock. :thumb
  6. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    Ronin moto went in May, Anna went in June, I went in July and a friend of mine went in August. We all got rained on, a lot.:evil It is very green up north because it #@$%*$! rains a lot. You go when you can and hope for the best.
  7. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was created and grew up in Fairbanks Alaska +25 years up there. The pattern for rain in the interior at least, is typically - the earlier, the drier. It is one reason why (besides the short growing season) certain plants don't do well, but for example, cabbages do very well because they grow very fast in the wet late summer. It is also the reason most of the forest fires are early, but by August and September, it is raining, raining, raining until it snows...

This is a great/wonderful ride report. My father, long time Alaskan, passed away in 2008. Last summer I sprinkled his ashes out the door of a Super Cub bush plane, over his favorite hunting grounds near the Tanana River. I understand loss and also understand how the solitude and beauty of Alaska can help the healing process. Thank you Anna, for your report.
    wilsonjw42 and ONandOFF like this.
  8. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    You're doing great, carry on.
  9. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:

Hmm, I went in June of '07 and with the exception of BC, near Fort Nelson(?) didn't rain a drop.
  10. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anna,
    What a brave and determined young lady you are.
    Thanks for taking us along with you.
    If I had a sister, I wish she had your spirit.
    Have a wonderful life.
  11. AirDrive

AirDrive Terminal No0b

Oddometer:
    Every installment has been worth the wait.
  12. LATJ

LATJ Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic story, thanks for taking the time to share it... my first "real" bike was a red '89 Radian. Fresh out of high school and it seemed like a rocket to me!
  13. datsclark

datsclark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Anna,

Just wanted to echo the sentiments of others on here--what a great ride report! I've read so many, but never one with so much emotion and adventure all tied up together. I admire your drive and determination for such an awesome ride.

As I look forward to my own long motorcycle adventure this year I hope to approach it with such a great attitude as you carry! :clap

Can't wait to read the rest of the journey--and hoping our adventures cross someday!
  14. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    Anna,

I just read through the whole thing. What a fantastic trip and report.:clap
  15. Dusty Boots

Dusty Boots Wanderin Saddle Tramp

Oddometer:
    A Kick Ass Ride Report! .... Thanks for taking the time and effort to share your experiences, both inner and outer! :thumbup

Dusty
  16. olddix

olddix n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Fascinating read but where did the ride end? How many miles did you end up laying down? Did it help heal the wound? I would love to read a final conclusion, or wrap up of the entire ride from the author.

I leave from Stephens City, Va. May 18th, 2013 for Alaska for a similar reason you did your trip. This one is for my Dad. The trip he never had the oppourtunity to complete.
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  17. schwahead

schwahead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Loved your ride report Anna! Thanks for sharing!

We probably know some of the same people as I lived just outside of afton for awhile!
  18. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    Relax. She will get to it on her schedule. You have 70+ days till launch. Anna isn't done yet. Like a fine wine great writing takes time. Sit back and enjoy like the rest of us have been for a few months.:lol3
  19. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Yep... Anna stated that each new post was harder to write than the last last one. Understanding and appreciating that, I expect to see a new post from her when she is ready. She is something special, and her writing style is wonderful. I hope that she is able to complete her oddessy, and will wait patiently.

I'm sure there are plenty of RR's and riders who would love to discuss details, but that isn't, I don't believe, her purpose for this thread...

"Cleavage Juice"... my favorite from her...too much.
  20. olddix

olddix n00b

Oddometer:
    I didn't really pay attention to the actually posting dates. I was looking at her dates in her titles,
    Day 25:
    June 14, 2012
    Alaska Marine Highway: Haines, AK – Prince Rupert, BC: Day 1

I thought it had been almost a year since her last post and I was just reading something old. I got it now. It was a great read and I was wanting more. Well done Anna!

I will wait patiently. :*sip*