KLRsys build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by KLRsys, Jun 6, 2012.

1. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm kinda interested in what it costs myself. Let me know if you're ever coming this way.
  2. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool.

I'd bet that would be a good selling bike.......

:evil
  3. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last year I put a new motor in my dad's KLR after the engine chewed itself apart. I was surprised that the 2003 engine that I purchased was more expensive than the Versys engines that I was finding. I would bet that a solid KLR engine could be sold to cover the cost the Versys engine, and some of the modification work.

However, I can't recall if that price included throttle bodies and ECU or not.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
  4. MiniMotard

MiniMotard n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi KLRsys,

I'm wondering if you've had any issues with the bottom of the chain dragging on the lower frame cross member (the one just below the swing-arm pivot)? When you have the engine sitting low enough to clear the bottom of the gas tank I've noticed that there appears to be the potential for the chain to rub on that lower cross member.

Thanks
  5. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The countershaft sprocket is at the same height as it was originally but a bit further forward. I haven't had any issues with chain drag but I'm sure the chain hits the rubber guide that's on top of the lower cross member at full extension, but that's why the rubber thing is there. I did have to dent the inside of the tank on the right side to clear the engine.
  6. 2fast4u

2fast4u What the hell!

Oddometer:
    Just wondering why your starting with such nice bikes? And why not just buy a KLR and a Versys or Ninja motor and wiring harness and electronics off e-bay?
    I liked your first build and think you do nice work. I have a Ninja 650 i made into a DS and have enjoyed riding it on and off road.
    I would like to see someone take a KLX 450 or CRF 450 and put the Ninja or Versys motor in it. I think that would be the ultimate DS. It would be LIGHT, great suspension, dirt wheels, very good on road and able to ride on the interstate and did i mention LIGHT.
    Will be watching your build.
  7. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope this doesn't come off as a smart-ass answer, but I started with nice bikes because I want to end up with a nice bike. I like getting a complete Versys because I hate shopping for parts, I know what I'm getting, I can test drive it, I know it all works, and by the time I sell off the leftovers, my net investment in Versys parts is probably less than I would have spent buying them all individually on Ebay.

I know there are lighter DS's out there but I chose to stick with the KLR because it suits how I ride. I'm not a hard core off-roader. I just want to be able to go down pretty much any road that looks interesting, but I also want to enjoy the ride between the offroad bits. I also don't want to have to think too hard about which bike to take on the next trip (I used to have a few different types in the garage). I want one that will do most anything I'm likely to ask of it.
    MSrider likes this.
  8. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I pulled the motor to make a jig for the motor mounts. From this view it looks like an easy fit.

[​IMG]

Alas, nothing but optical delusion.

[​IMG]

I lost my original photos of the frame sans engine so here a few new ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfinished jig.

[​IMG]
  9. BtoV

BtoV FNG

Oddometer:
    Criky that's nice you should start building and selling them. I looked pretty serious at this engine swap a couple of years back and what put me off was a really nice engine and really flawed suspension.well done though as I have done engine swaps before and you are too humble by a bunch
  10. Krasniewski

Krasniewski I don't ride much.

Oddometer:
    Nice! I would guess that further down the road we may see many more KLRE's! Very exciting prospect.
  11. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Your idea is fine, but I can think or at least 3 reasons why it is just not optimal.
    1} Fuel tank volumn- The biggest tank you can get for either of those is maybe 4 gallons, a bit small for any long haul ADV riding, at least for meabyway.
    2} Perimeter frame- The shape may make it hard to fit a twin between the spars and then that is where the tank needs to sit so that could be a REAL PITA. With a steel or aluminum tank you can do as KLRsys did and tap a dent here or there to fit over the bigger motor, not so with the plastic only tanks on a KLX/CRf......
    3} Not street plateable in many if not most states anymore. Maybe back in the day, or if you were fortunate enough to get on plates previously that would be a great start, but here in Cali that is NOT gonna happen anymore.

Great idea, a light, great suspended, great handling, dirt oriented adventure bike with a smooth and powerful twin motor in it, but a DRZ, KLR, XL or some other street plated bike is about the only options here. All just mediocre options, but you take what you can get, OR custom build your own....if you are a better fab guy than me. Mods like this are in my range of building, but doing a whole frame jig up is past my skill and tools.
  12. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

Oh, you can essentially exactly what you want, and describe... Just go to:

http://www.rallytwin.com/

Of course, bring a big, *BIG* checkbook! :lol3

IMHO, what KLRsys is building makes a ton of sense. Just a shame Kawasaki has never seen the logic.

Dallara

~
  13. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Dallara,
    Regarding your sig line=
    If you lived near me, you wouldd OFTEN see a motorcycle outside of MY psychiatrist office...but riding doesn't HURT my broken brain...it takes both components to keep me alive and out of prison.....lol
    I am my own WORST enemy :rofl

The riding keep ME happy= The MEDS keep my wife happy.
  14. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

A KLR that will do everything off pavement a stock KLR (motor) will do, then hit the pavement and rock down the road like a Versys. Thats what I'm talking about. :deal
  15. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    I don't want a KLR.

But I want one of these.
  16. SuperRio

SuperRio KLRE650 PILOT

Oddometer:
    I got one and I LOVE!!!!! it.

Keep up the great work KLRsys.:clap
  17. tomatocity

tomatocity Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer:
    I have an '05 that I would swap out if KLRsys was to make a kit. I would sell the low mileage 685 Big Head engine to help pay for the conversion.
  18. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to show the pile of Versys parts that get used in the conversion other than the motor itself. Several of these parts are only partial used, like only the first inch of the header pipes are used, the instrument mount and surround are cut up, etc. The entire wiring harness and all electrics are used. I also have to use the longer chain off the Versys, but it has to be shortened a bit. This particular pile is going into the 09 KLR I'm currently working on.

[​IMG]
  19. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm lovin' mine too. Just wish I had more time to ride. I do get to spend 10 days in the Texas hill country over the holidays and that should be fun. But I'm telling you, I have a strong desire to ride this next one up to Victoria. I've never been to the north west but I've always wanted to go.
  20. KLRsys

KLRsys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I keep thinking as I'm building what it would take to make a kit, but I'm getting the impression that creating a kit that anybody could install successfully would be far more work than building the bike. And then theres the liabilty issue to deal with...