Husqvarna TE-610 Owners Sign In Thread.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by buffallodan, Aug 3, 2006.

1. reimorei

reimorei Brazillian Adventure

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of revalving my susp also and go to softer springs. My biggest concerns are the cam chain. With 17.5K miles have you already changed yours? With how many miles, if so?
    Luckily here in Brazil we can found a lot of 610s from 2007 to 2009 with less then 3k miles, so I'll have an option to replace mine when needed.
  2. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh? You're replacing it with a used chain or replacing the motor?

A new chain is a $100 part. And my first went out @ about 10k the second has lasted longer, I don't actually know but i'd guess it's 17 or 20 and it's done.
  3. begeberg

begeberg Let it burn....

Oddometer:
    I just replaced my water temperature sensor (again) and the flashing neutral stopped immediately. Does your fan run all the time and is it hard to start cold with the choke lever pulled? If so, you likely need a new sensor. I'm on my third in 8,000 miles. A faulty sensor is only time my neutral has ever flashed on my 2008 TE610.

4. motopreserve

motopreserve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Begeberg,

Not sure what you meant by "are you sure you reset it" but I just plugged it in and took a look at the read outs. No fault or error showed up in either current or historic fault window.

I tried again today, and let it warm up longer. Someone over at cafe husky thought maybe I wasn't getting a reading due to low temps. Still had no way of adjusting CO - the icon remained GRAYED out.

Ironically, with no indication of any faults, of any kind, my neutral light seems to NOT be blinking any longer. Too weird. I had purchased a new temp sensor before getting the iBeat, but hasn't installed it yet. With iBeat, I figured I'd see if I could recognize the issue with that temp sensor - and then I'd replace it. But now my original seems fine. I never had really hard starting - and as far as I've seen, the fan NEVER goes on. Not sure if I should swap the sensor anyway.

In regards to the iBeat issue: Another thought was that my bike might not be a 2009. But vin/DMV and a search online shows it as that. Not sure what to do with this program from here. Doesn't let me do anything but state at the pretty lights :)
  5. K7MDL

K7MDL 2015 Tiger 800XCx

Oddometer:

Aaron, I think you read that wrong. I have 17K miles on the clock now total, I replaced my cam chain at about 6 or 7K (miles). Been fine ever since. He only has 2K on his clock, he wants to verify when he should get serious about looking at it.

So when I need to replace my '07 with another low miles '07 I guess I need to ship it in from Brazil :-)
  6. K7MDL

K7MDL 2015 Tiger 800XCx

Oddometer:

I have looked into this and as a result I have 2 good VRs here. Both behave the same. I believe they can not (internally) shut off low enough to keep the voltage down. Inside the VR are essentially switches that chop the voltage at high speed resulting in an average voltage filtered by the battery. There is a minimum on duration that limits how fast they can switch. I went to a 35W HID and had to put 10W load back on to keep the voltage in check. I did that with dual filament front turn signals. 8W on each side always on. Varied tolerances can result in some VRs doing better than others. Also FI bikes are slightly different then carb'd power consumption wise. Carb'd takes less power. I also noted that peak voltage is around 2200 RPM. So idle is worse than running down the road.

I also believe that the TE610 speedos are not tolerant of that high voltage (not enough margin designed in) and that high voltage is behind most TE610 stock speedo failures. There are no physically broken parts inside, the failures are internal component failure and in particular the CPU or circuit inputs to the CPU as far as I can tell after inspection and observation (resets tend to work every once in a while for some time at least).
  7. motopreserve

Oddometer:
    I'm flip-flopping like a politician! Just took another ride, and the damn blinking light is BACK!!! The new temp sensor goes in immediately. Good grief!
  8. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks I definitely didn't grok what was going on there :)
  9. bensl

bensl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. reimorei

Oddometer:
    My speedometer stoped working today, although the odometer is working fine, so I don´t think it is a pickup related problem. Any idea of what could be?
  11. 1 lunger

1 lunger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Disconnect battery for 10 min and it should come back on.
  12. reimorei

Oddometer:
    Funny Husky things!! I´ll try it, thanks
  13. Bryant

Bryant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So as a total NUBE to the dirt scene, I'm beyond impressed w/ the 610's capability.. took it on a pretty narrow single track trail recently (I was the only DS out there, everyone else had light dirt bikes) and was left w/ the impression that while the weight is a little high on the Husky, the only thing really holding me back was the retarded Indian riding the thing, not the arrow... very cool..

That said, I also had a little episode (popped the front tire - deep in the middle of the woods) where I came to the realization that having a good tool kit on board is a must. Hence this post...

So in addition to being a total NUBE in the dirt, I'm also somewhat of a novice when it comes to working on bikes... and while I know the OEM kit is mostly useless, I thought a thread to discuss what people are throwing in their 610 tool kit would be fun (as it's highly personal..)

So far I've heard everything from a packet of vasilene, ty wraps, a small can of WD40, 30' of small diameter rope, A GREAT MULTITOOL, headlamp, the right allen wrench, wrenches for key bolts, spare tube/tire iron/inflator.......

Thanks for your input, hopefully your suggestions won't be needed - but if they are know that I'll be thanking you from some remote trail w/ less than an hour of daylight many miles from the trailhead.. :norton
  14. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:

start here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156431

I used Larryboy's ride reports as the basis for my 610 tool kit. but I'm having trouble finding a link at the moment.
  15. motopreserve

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if there are any fairly simple fork swaps for the TE610? I have an issue with the one fork lower, and to replace would be almost $500. Figured this might be the time to switch to some adjustable forks :)

Thanks!
  16. StolenFant

StolenFant Life is good on this side of the grass Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, this topic may generate "advice" as what tire or what oil. Anyway, here's my thinking about "kit".
    If I'll be alone, water, basic food & clothing for a long walk or overnight are first priorities. Then I think about current bike condition and recent maintenance. For instance if the clutch cable is getting old? Thread a new one along the frame. If you just worked on engine or removed body parts, better take some Locktite 243 and enough tools to snug up anything that gets loose. New chain? throw in a couple master links (2 cause they're small and easy to lose parts in mud) You get the idea.

Don't trash the entire stock kit! That axle wrench, spark plug wrench, etc. are fine AND COMPACT for trail use. Just add to them. I've thrown in quality 1/4" drive socket wrench, 6 point sockets in 8,10,12mm plus 1/4 to 3/8" drive adapter with 13, 14mm sockets, and a short handle socket wrench. Locking jaw plier, open/box end wrenches in 8,10,12, and I think a 6mm (throttle cable). Also a 6" bit driver extension, and the following bits: allen 4,5,6,7 & 8mm, phillips #2 & #3 slotted (couple different). Quality replacements for the three stock allen wrenches. There are about two feet of duct tape wrapped around the spark plug socket. This is all double bagged in quart size freezer grade ziplock bags. That rounds out the "tool kit" that is ALWAYS on the bike. The socket numbers were from memory since I'm at the office now, but walk through a tire change, oil change, cable adjustment and you'll be able to reconfirm them or PM me, and I'll go through it. Remember, it's not just the size wrenches, but the style, open/box/socket that you need to confirm. You may not have clearance for a socket on every 10mm nut you'll need to adjust.
    Elsewhere I carry these:
    Tire repair items- A patch kit, 2 short tire spoons and an elec pump (Slime brand $14 from Walmart) I ran 12v marine grade cig lighter plug soon as I bought the bike, and often tweak tire pressures just to see the difference.
    Bungee Net- the small motorcycle kind, short ball end bungee loops and 8-20' real 550 cord (the kind you can strip for the internal strands)
    Nav and Coms- Cell Phone and charger (forest service maps are also damned handy)

Where does it go? You could put it under the seat and in various pockets of your riding gear, but a a friend and former South African desert racer told me this, "Don't put anything in your pockets that you are not willing to have surgically removed." :eek1:eek1 I still get shivers thinking about that one. I've got a small tailpack on the rear rack that easily holds this, and am considering a front fender pack for the tire stuff.
  17. K7MDL

K7MDL 2015 Tiger 800XCx

Oddometer:
    If you go with the front fender pack, consider drilling some holes and bolting the tabs or straps in at least 2 places. Only a matter of time before they fall off otherwise. Even when it looks like it won't, it will. There is a fully stocked Wolfman pack on the White Rim trail in Moab waiting for a lucky rider to discover it. Did thousands of miles before, no problem, finally met the right bounce. Motion Pro makes a nice compact half moon shaped tool kit that has much of what you need. I add in a few things like tie wraps and a metal inner tube valve core removal bit. A bicycle tail pack on the rear luggage rack carries most of my stuff.
  18. tlking6

tlking6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I try to work out of my tool kit when I'm working on the bike at home. Yeah I'll grab a ratchet or a T wrench from time to time from my toolbox on things I know I have covered but by working out of the kit it lets me know if there is anything I should add. I carry a small bag of bolts, master links, chain breaker, fuses and of course zip ties. Lately I added some of the quick set JB Weld after a buddy of mine punched a hole in is case. Someone had some and it kept the ride going.
  19. DutchGrandia

DutchGrandia b00n

Oddometer:
    This thread is helpful:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998

I personally love this tool, which fits underneath the saddle:
    http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0161/

Also, make sure you have the tools to loosen the axle nuts. The Cafe Husky axle wrench plus Uptite axle nut work very well for me: http://www.cafehusky.com/pages/cafehusky_merchandise/
  20. DutchGrandia

DutchGrandia b00n

Oddometer:
    This thread is helpful:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998

I personally love the Motionpro tool, which fits underneath the saddle.