New (to Me) 2000 Kawasaki W650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by The Jerk, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are talking about my Ky to Cali trip it was excellent. 4700 miles of perfect riding conditions. No rain...70's to 90's temps. I took a very Southern route. US80 in Arizona almost to the New Mexico border was beautiful. I went South down through Rodeo, NM and up to Tombstone and Brisby. The 650 did wonderful. The trick for me is the Corbin seat. I definitely overgeared the bike with the 16 tooth countershaft sprocket. With the windshield and big GIVI E45's which are way wide it struggled if I had 30+ miles per hour headwinds which I did through West TX, NM and Arizona.

I'll post just a few pics over in Ride Reports this morning later. I'm loaded up and headed to Northeast Florida in the morning. When I get back I will have recorded over 11000 miles on this bike in about 7 weeks! My miles for the year will be about 55,000 total. That will be my highest miles year ever and stangely enough it still doen't feel like I have ridden enough.
    Barry
  2. Kentucky

Kentucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is one that I like. I spent one night in Tombstone, Arizona. Love that town.

Attached Files:

Webman likes this.
  3. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Found a 2000, just like yours, this summer in the NOVA area. 5200 miles, $2100. Didn't hesitate. Wife almost killed me--now have 5 motorcycles and 3 bicycles of mine in the garage . . . . :clap

Hated the stock plow-handle bars. Tried drag bars, now have Bikemaster Superbike bars. Feels really good.

Air screws at 3 1/2 turns out. Blocked the vacuum and put one shim under each needle. Need to balance the carbs but I'm too lazy. Warms up better now, seems to run better with no flat spot. Haven't had it out on a long ride since the shims were installed. So far that's been the key, and made the most difference.

Also put Hagon shocks on the rear and replaced the (awful) old fork oil with 15W. Better, but I may spring for Race Tech springs and emulators.

Stock gearing's working great so far. Longest day on it was about 200 miles.

Here's with the drag bars.

[​IMG]

Another with the drag bars. Had to put risers on because the switch gear hit the tank with the drag bars on. That's not a problem with the Superbike bars, but no photos of that yet.

[​IMG]

It's not as versatile as the Wee Strom, and the XR eats logging roads for lunch, but the Dub is so much fun to ride--wunnerful bike.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  4. rider929

rider929 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is a shot of mine. It was a left over 2000 model I bought new in 2003. I have put 24K on it and it still runs just great. I have also done all the mods to improve the carbs and the suspension.

[​IMG]
  5. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mr Expat, that bike was a gift from heaven. I hope you told your wife it's worth at least twice what you paid.
  6. ORexpat

ORexpat Oregon Expatriate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did. Not sure she believes me!!! :lol3
  7. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    Still my favorite all round ride. Mods include Black tank repaint, OEM low bar kit, OEM rear rack, Corbin solo seat, 5 Stars side racks, GIVI 21L bags, Dart flyscreen, Hagon shocks and Race Tech fork mods. Engine is stock with idle mix adjusted and exhaust air plumbing blocked (no decel popping).

Still rides and handles like an old school bike and makes soul stirring sounds from the stock exhaust. I'll probably take this bike to the grave.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. fried okra

fried okra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another NOVA dubya owner here.....as ACAP650 mentioned, putting a marble or similar in the exhaust air injection hose will stop any backfire on the overrun.

Got #38 pilot jets in mine too, makes then less apt to plug with the ethanol fuel in the "commonwealth".

fried okra
  9. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    Love these bikes. They are very few around here. A couple I work with has a pair of them and ride them everywhere. I had a brief ride on one a couple of years back and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Has anyone done the "Scrambler " routine with one. I always thought it would have worked well ( maybe even better than the Triumph ), being a bit lighter than the Triumph. I think if I could do that, I'd buy one for sure................If I could find one.
  10. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    A guy down the road has one that he barely ever rides. I talked to him about it at the post office one time and I see it in his garage when I go by, hoping it will have a sign around its neck one of these days.
  11. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    This the one I like (only pic of this I ever found). Not sure of the pipes, maybe from Japan.

[​IMG]
  13. Bert Fox

Bert Fox Casual Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We found this:
    [​IMG]

In a friend's garage. He sold it to us this summer for $3000. I bought it for my wife to ride. I have taken it out and had so much fun that it has me rethinking my ride. This thing is awesome. It had updated tires, 2 seats, and a mag tankbag. I put a Slipstreamer Spitfire w/s on it.
  14. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    I love the LSL W650

[​IMG]
  15. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what I was talking about. I wonder if that would have sold better than the version they did bring to North America? I don't know if I'd trade the Vstrom for it, but I would sell all the other stuff in the garage for it. I don't smoke, but I would probably have have a pack rolled up under the sleeve of my shirt.
  16. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This one can't decide what it wants to be-vintage or modern. The brakes and shocks ruin it for me.
  17. Squidward

Squidward At home in my jammies

Oddometer:
    I like it.:clap
  18. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The wrapped exhaust and silly front fender are not to my taste, but otherwise, it looks pretty cool to me.

- Mark
  19. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's wrong with the fender? It doesn't intrude, it doesn't offend.
  20. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    And it doesn't look good. It looks like something Paul Tuttle Jr. would put on one of his choppers.

No offense, just my subjective opinion. We're talking looks here, no right or wrong.

- Mark