the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think I remember looking up my 2001 DR200 and seeing it listed as worth around $900. But mine probably has more than average miles on it. I've kept it in perfect shape, it runs like new, I would never sell it.
  2. brailman133

brailman133 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paid 1500.00 for a 2003 model with 216 miles on it.... Be ready to fix petcock and change jets, and a new battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. DeeR200

DeeR200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the O series DG pipe on mine. Don't know the difference between the 2 models you posted though.
  4. jeffcneal

jeffcneal Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Charliedog43:

I called DG direct and asked a technician what the difference between the O and R series was. Are you ready for this? His answer was "... one has a round can and the other's oval...":doh . He then patiently explained to me that that's what the "o" and "r" designations stand for, the shape of the can. He also said that jetting instructions were included.

regards,
    Jeff
  5. Kleio

Kleio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've read that the DG exhausts are very loud. Do you think yours is very loud?

I'm thinking of upgrading the exhaust but find that the FMF Q4 is very expensive. The DG is at a better price point.

Thanks.
  6. thebreezetd

thebreezetd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    burnt09 wrote:

>>I was surprised that there is no pipe clamp on the front portion of the FMF pipe. It is a fairly loose slip fit onto the head pipe and relies on high-temp RTV for a seal. Not quite as well engineered as the stock muffler clamp setup IMO.<<

The stock muffler has a clamp inside the stock pipe that can be removed and then used for the pipe clamp for the front portion of the FMF pipe. You have to look closely, but the clamp inside the stock pipe is copper colored and spot welded
    inside the original pipe. I simply used a Dremel tool so as to remove the clamp.
  7. thebreezetd

thebreezetd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bross wrote:

>>I'm 200lbs and the DR200 struggles to maintain 50-55<<

I'm 30 pounds heavier than you and my DR200 effortlessly maintains 50-55 mph. Top speed on mine is around 70 mph. Everything is completely stock, except for an aftermarket (FMF) exhaust.
  8. kelly007

kelly007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can any body help me with the allowable front disc thickness? I do own a workshop manual but can't find it after a move...
    any help much appreciated .

ps. love my Dr , first bike I have owned, loved every minute. (26000 km , one broken clutch cable so far)
  9. N-m

N-m Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer:
    Too Far from My Welder and BMW in South TN.
    I have been riding a DR200 all afternoon at a motorcycle safety course. I have a BMW that I love but it's hard for me to not appreciate anything with 2 wheels. Having said that this little bike kicks ass!

I love how much torque you have at the low end speeds and how easily I can push this thing around with my knees and the handle bar through tight turns. The bikes at the school don't have a lot of miles on them but have been ridden hard and put up wet and they are still running strong. I have been doing all of this on knobby tires and asphalt.

I could see myself having one of these some day to knock around on.
  10. WizardSkills

WizardSkills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey All,

I've been lurking here a while and have come to rely on the treasure trove of DR200 information posted.

My bike is a 2006 DR200SE that was purchased in 2007 as a left over. As far as mods go I have the FMF Q4 exhaust and a larger main jet installed by my mechanic (didn't ask, he just did it...cool by me!). I love this bike! Although it's tough finding dual sport riding nearby (bay area) I still try to get out as often as I can.

Next up is a bash guard from Ricochet and a tail rack from Manracks (just ordered). I also have the Keintech jet kit but have yet to install. Other than that I plan to keep it mostly stock 'cause she runs great as is!

Anyways, here are a couple of pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy riding!
  11. AleXtz

AleXtz Minimal2 the fulness

Oddometer:

Your feedback is totally appreciated Codyp1814. Sorry for responding late but I've been out in Oaxaca beach and took my 125cc again, you can read my experience in the link below, i wish had taken de dr200 though but she's still bleeding oil.

I went today to a suzuki dealer in mexico city, tomorrow they will take apart the valve cover and check where it is leaking. The thing is that i wanted to buy the valve cover gasket but it does not appear on their system, nor in the partzilla link you gave me.

I will buy the part #13, have it installed and the suzuki gang will gunk some orange silicone in the valve cover gasket

thanks again dude!
  12. jeffcneal

Oddometer:
    How do I earn the right to post attachments:confused?
  13. Codyp1814

Codyp1814 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the DG exhaust and it honestly is not crazy loud. No where near as loud as even stock CRF250R muffler. People will notice you but it also will not piss as many people off.

Here's a video I made one sound comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J27VOf7Jj0s
  14. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have to host your pictures on another site like smugmug.com and then copy and paste them here. Advrider doesn't support most attachments.
  15. jeffcneal

Oddometer:
    Klay:

Thanks for the info.

regards,
    Jeff
  16. Sateev

Sateev Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AleXtz: actually, there is no gasket under the valve cover. You just need to CAREFULLY use Suzukibond (or Threebond, or Yamahabond, or WhateverBond - they're all black and all the same), and put a a SMALL bead all the way around the sealing surface, including around the holes. Be sure to clean the cover and head surfaces COMPLETELY of all the old sealer, and torque the bolts in the correct sequence and to the correct torque. Unless the thing is BADLY bent, it will seal up perfectly. Don't forget to replace the rubber cam plug (no sealer there). It's really easy, if you are patient, and methodical, and will be as good as new.
  17. Codyp1814

Codyp1814 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very cool pics!
  18. brailman133

brailman133 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet video Cody!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. jeffcneal

Oddometer:
    Thanks Trailrider200, I'm on my way there now.

regards,
    Jeff