A Sunday Ride for a Grand Canyon Sunset

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by dave6253, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Purcell69

Purcell69 Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer:
    Moving forward...at the speed of rust in mid-OK
    Absolutely stunning photos! I wish my skills were anywhere near that good. GC and Arizona in general seems like an endless wealth of photo opportunities. About 15 years ago, my cousin was the airport manager at GC. He had a picture window in his livingroom, (the State owned the house), that overlooked the airfield and out to the North Rim. Everytime I visited, it seemed there were pictures just waiting to be captured from that vantage point.

Thanks for taking us along. :clap

-Joe
  2. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    :D awesome stuff dave!
  3. larrycole

larrycole n00b

Oddometer:
    Great pics. The wife and I did Denver to the North Rim last August on my 1976 Goldwing. Had temps from 104 to 54 within half an hour. I mounted a GoPro on the crash bar for the trip - I was pleased with the results:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stB2pIsbWVc
  4. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Awesome as usual!! :clap
  5. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the new replies, everyone!

Good question. Matthew was excited about going on this little day ride, until I told him how far it would be and how late we would be riding into the dark. He declined, claiming he needed sleep before school on Monday.:D I'll get him out on another ride soon.

Nice job on the video Larry. I enjoyed it.
  6. canuckAME

canuckAME Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You sir take amazing photographes. Thanks for sharing.:clap
  7. SparkyL

SparkyL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave, loved the RR and the photos were stunning! Your first video was great too. Another area of wide open spaces, stunning views, and sweet riding to put on my list. Please keep the stories and images coming. Thanks!
  8. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report Dave - Wow we were just out in Sedona all last week and rode all over. Thank you for the previous track reports and 2 up tips via PM (Jerome-Perkinsville RD) as my wife and I had a phenomenal time. My photos won't compare to yours but I really like my little Nikon shockproof/waterproof camera. It went through heck and back over the 5 days we rode.

I can't wait to return to AZ! The Grand Canyon and Sedona are one of a kind for ADV riding!

Our RR below.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787725

I'd also like to know what you use to process your photos so feel free to PM my any time.

We love California, but Northern AZ was heaven. All smiles man...

[​IMG]
  9. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks CanuckAME and SparkyL.

chrish4ku, Your RR was fun. Glad you 2 enjoyed your time in Arizona.

I took the Aprilia out with a new helmet camera on some local desert twisties.
    Here is my 2nd attempt at putting together a short film. Enjoy!
    (It's available in full HD if you've got the speed.)
    <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="240" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1835562881_zsz5C2N?width=425&height=240"></iframe>

[​IMG]
  10. Hevy Kevy

Hevy Kevy ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Outstanding. Thanks from the Great Lakes region for the report and pics!! What camera do you use?
  11. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Lightroom 3 and sometimes Photomatix Pro

For this report I used a Panasonic TS3 point-n-shoot and a Pentax K-5 DSLR. The first video was shot mostly with the Panasonic. The video I just posted was mostly from a Drift HD 1080P helmet camera.

[​IMG]
  12. Aargee

Aargee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome photography; pls tell me you're a professional photographer.
  13. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Not at all Aargee. Just a self-taught amatuer/hobbyist. I didn't know anything about photography 3 years ago and can prove it. Just look at my Ride Reports prior to the Fall of 2009.

My full photography site is here: dave6253.smugmug.com

Thanks!
  14. snakeears

snakeears What did you say?

Oddometer:
    Brilliant, stunning colour, the canyon pana is epic :thumbup it would be awesome as a 10 foot print
  15. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I generally don't like HDR, but your photos look great. I need to learn how to use light room better.

Chad
  16. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to put these together. I never got a chance to tell ya before. :bow
    You, Prometheus Joe, East Coast Rider and a few others really have a touch or at least an angle.:lol3
    Thanks again and keep em coming!
  17. divrnr

divrnr ROAD WARRIOR

Oddometer:
    Great job, I'm planning to bonzai it to the Four Corners Monument by way of Monument Valley around the 4th of July. Maybe I'll extend it to stop by the South Rim for a sunset pic also. Although I only have a POS camera... So no HDR pics. Great inspiration though. We are very lucky here in Arizona, sometimes we take it for granted...
  18. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Misplaced Farmboy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another great report and awesome photo's ! ! !
    Easily recognized your ride across Hwy 74 and your "camera along the shoulder" shot riding outside of Congress. Similar angle of Vulture Peak as my "Back Yard..." report. I was likely about 4 miles to the East of your shot...
    We are very fortunate to be in close proximity to the special place know as the Grand Canyon. I have wonderful images of the South Rim taken 35 years ago... of course using 35mm slides. Back then the Canyon was very clear not that constant brown sky. Started venturing up to the North Rim 30 years ago for a week or so every year. Now very seldom spend more than two or three days a year on the South side and then prefer the Watchtower area.
    What time of day were you in Wickenburg? I was out early... heading West on a couple of dirt-tracks. However I was back before the heat set in for the day, about 10 am.
    Again thanks for taking us along on your day-trip. :clap
  19. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    very cool!