First Look- Terra Mostro Adventure Bike

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Desert Dave, Mar 1, 2007.

1. ro9397

ro9397 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought new '99 SS 900. Rev limiter tested regularly, meaning every Sunday morning & most days in between. Valve lash clearance first checked by pro race bike tuner at 12k+ miles; all clearances w/i spec. Not bad.

Fun in the cayons flying 'round kids on high-horsepower race replicas like they're in reverse; on the flats, approaching town, where older/smarter riders knew to slow down, the squids of course can not resist flying by...
  2. dakarboy

dakarboy ugly and stupid

Oddometer:
    that is absolutely the hottest looking scoot i have seen in awhile. i thought it might look like a parts bin bike but it is perfectly integrated and seemless. like it was designed to be what it is since inception. lets just hope ducati doesnt catch wind of this silliness, then you will just be another poser. after reading this thread i tracked down pics of the 800gs no comparison. i was hoping for a lighter version of the street bike. instead it looks like it screwed the adventure and a dumb bastard kid was produced. yours looks like a serious off road touring bike.:deal
  3. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    Thanks, man. It's no Guzzi, but it's awl right.
  4. Keith

Keith Slabbing it

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see that thing in action at Carnegie. Any plans on returning?
  5. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    I'm sure Blaine will be riding his there on occasion. If I ride mine out west again, it will be in Baja (working on logistics), otherwise it'll be shipped out here to NYC.
  6. dakarboy

dakarboy ugly and stupid

Oddometer:

where everyone will get a chance to take it for a spin, in the interest of accelerating the break in process...:wink:
  7. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    Oh, it's plenty broken in. :wink: (the only thing I like on this bike more than downshifting with the slipper clutch... is SIXTH gear.)

[​IMG]

But you'll be welcome to take it for a spin just 'cuz it's so awesomely fun. And I doubt you could hurt it. And it's insured. :brow

So what about that hat? Or is the wax spew putting the whole order on hold for you? :scratch
  8. Virtual Rider

Virtual Rider Traveler

Oddometer:
    I think it should be called a "Terrore Mostro"...but then, I'm a little wierd.

:lol3
  9. 40cu.in.of.furey

40cu.in.of.furey Something clever

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised they're not inverted forks, it's a killer bike either way!
  10. ThatGuyEd

ThatGuyEd Mud Lover

Oddometer:
    Oh tits!
  11. sethro

sethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW!

Man oh man, just when I thought my life was complete

Sethro
  12. MotoTaur

MotoTaur As Far as You Know

Oddometer:
    Saw one at the MC show and as a previous monster owner I need one but at $16-17k......
  13. Red_Chili

Red_Chili Fresh Ground

Oddometer:
    ???
    Air cooled Ducs' valves are just not that hard to adjust. Maybe a little bit of time. I used to pull the heads and lap the valves and adjust as needed on my F1, made a nice rainy day activity. Like working on a watch really. Just a couple not-too-expensive SSTs to buy.

There is no way in Hades I'd drop 7 bills to pay someone else to do it.
  14. docgonzo

docgonzo Great Old Turtle

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Hey, this bike is a great idea! Take a powerful, but light V-twin engine, put it in a trellis frame, add great suspension (well, it should have inverted forks and WP stuff), keep the weight around 400 lbs., and have it be able to go either 100 mph on the street for hours, or 5 mph in single track or seriously deep sand. Make sure every single spec is satisfactory to a world class Enduro rider like Giavanni Sala, and make sure he tests it and tweaks every part.

But, wouldn't it be neat if it had 100 horsepower, rather then 70? And be water cooled to handle the extremes of desert racing, as well as tight, technical woods riding? Or a traffic jam in NYC? And be crash worthy, like a dirt bike, with replaceable vinyl panels and a plastic gas tank? And a long dirt bike seat so you can move around in the sand, mud, and water crossings? Oh, and be under $13,000?

Oh yeah, KTM has already done it:

[​IMG]

Doc, your bike is beautiful and unique. But it's going to hurt when you bash that $1,200 tank in the dirt. Or if you hit a log, and that front cylinder gets wacked. Just saying! By the way, do you have it yet in NYC? The Isle of Manhattan is coming up soon!

P.s., I fell in love with the Ducati Elephant many years ago. Was waiting for a modern version of this twin. Loved the TransAlp, but it was too heavy and under powered. I think the HP-2, this bike, and the SE are the modern versions of the TransAlp. Only one, though, is affordable for the average rider for wacking in the woods.
  15. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    Yes, and only one is a ducati. :D

The SE is a great bike, everyone who has one seems to love it. Some are even downright fanatical about it. :rolleyes

PS: fyi, the tank is plastic, and water cooling is only about 50 more things to break (IMO), and I have a date with her in Baja before she comes to NYC.
  16. johanssonsan

johanssonsan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How much is a KTM tank?
  17. docgonzo

docgonzo Great Old Turtle

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    [​IMG]

Just saying.
  18. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Just answerin'.
  19. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    $632.50. plus tax and shipping.
  20. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    Barry,
    You coming into the city for the IMS next weekend at Javits? We're getting together Sat. night here. Make sure your friend walter knows too. :thumb