Who is racing DAKAR 2013?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by xr400r, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Dakar rookie

Dakar rookie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Usual story, the Dakar comes around and we all sit glued to it and promise ourselves that “one day we will do it”. By February the idea has been shelved and before you know it, the years have gone past and the only way you are going to “do Dakar” is by coach tour for the pensioner brigade.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Spur Francistown in 2006, I meet David for the second time in my life. Talk of races won and lost and races still to be ridden comes up. I mention my dream of taking African riders overseas and David mentions his dream of doing Dakar. Mutual friend, Ingo Waldschmidt from Namibia was going to head off to Lisbon to do the Dakar (that was cancelled), and both of us were wildly envious.
    <o:p></o:p>
    A few years later, David, Sarel Van Biljon, Charles Bender and I were sitting in the departure lounge at Nairobi International Airport. We had gone up there to take teams from SA and Zambia to race in the FIM African continental championship. Sarel turns to me and says “help me get to Dakar, you do all the administration and footwork, and in return, you can come with me.” David starts muttering about how he wants to do the Dakar, so we said, we would look into it, and then he must make a decision.
    January 2012, we are all obsessed with how Darryl, Chris and the South African boys are doing. We have resorted to watching the shipping lanes on computer to see if the ship with their bikes would make it in time for them. Once the race starts, we all live on the computer and spend a small fortune in texting each other throughout the day as to how they are all doing. Sarel rings me and says “get moving for 2013, I want to do this race”. David is desperately keen, but needs to think things through, farm, crops, costs, and his long suffering wife and kids. Finally he has worked out that the farm should cope, costs will be a nightmare but with sponsorship it would be possible. Final hurdle is explaining it to Emma……, we all keep low profile as we don’t want to jeopardize things. Emma knows David’s obsession with racing and is very tolerant of the local events, but Dakar is a whole new ball game. As someone said, “the riding is actually the easier part, it is the 12 month build up of administration, fund raising and list after list of items needed/not needed etc that is the tough part”.
    6<SUP>th</SUP> January at some absurd hour of the morning I get the “screw it, let’s do it” phone call from David and the ball started rolling. First of all was to prepare a sponsorship package and CV for David. This version went back and forth for a while with us all adding and subtracting bits and pieces until we were satisfied with the final version. (NB this is all happening via paraffin internet connection at David’s farm, load shedding in Zambia and Botswana, Charles only seems to get things on his cell phone, and if all our systems were working, the file was too big to email through. It was a nightmare, but David thank goodness has some good mates who all helped get the power point presentation set out for potential sponsors. You have to remember David is a “farmer boy” and unless it has a Massey Ferguson engine, he has no clue as to how to drive it!!! He is also the world’s largest stress bunny, and has heart failure over any minute detail.
    One month after the momentous decision to do Dakar, we all meet up in Namibia with Ingo Waldschmidt. Ingo arrived bearing at least 4 massive lever arch files with paperwork and documents from his previous 3 Dakar’s. He did or rather did not do the Lisbon Dakar rally, but competed twice in South America on the big KTM 690 and finished. Thoughts turned to how we were going to actually do this, do we go as complete privateers, or try and hook up with a team similar to Darryl in 2012, or create our own team. David was fluffing about route book and navigation, Charles was more concerned with the assistance vehicle, and I was having a melt down over the administration. Have visions of arriving there to find that I have not filled/completed/signed on some form. Medical, actual bike licence for driving on public roads, FIM licence, will our application be accepted by ASO etc? Whilst the men were banging on about engines and bikes I was frantically searching “preparators” for Dakar.
    The decision to use a KTM bike was a no brainer. They have proved themselves in these marathon rally events, and the fact that there is spares support from the factory (at a cost).But you cannot spend hundreds of thousands to get to the event and be stymied by the lack of a $2.00 not being with you. So knowing the back up from KTM, the boys all jumped at the opportunity to ride the KTM rally raid 450. Meanwhile, David bought a KTM 690 in Namibia to use as a practice bike. He flew back to Namibia later and rode the bike back to Zambia, as a test session!! The orders for the bikes were in, now we just had to get accepted by ASO. Entries opened in mid May, by then the application was sent via DHL, and by email and the entry fee paid. Now we just pray that they are accepted. Ingo is pretty much in, as a previous competitor who has finished, his entry is likely to be accepted. David however is an unknown, and despite a good CV, the stringent requirements and suitability of a competitor will always be called into question. From a safety issue, they cannot have money guys with no experience, neither can they have good riders but who may not come up with the money etc. Also I would imagine they have to have a ratio of who will/can finish to keep the legend alive.
    On the sponsorship side, Zambia has really rallied (pardon the pun) around David. One basically needs close to US$100,000 to do this, including bike, entry fee, spares, air fare etc. The little farming community and town of Mazabuka have pulled out all stops to support David. The Zambian motorsport federation are backing this all the way, the mx fraternity have also helped out, the Honda dealership is supporting the KTM rider, the Debonnairs pizza chain have created a “triple Decker’ pizza and proceeds from the sale of this will go towards the sponsorship. The agricultural sector has really done their utmost as have the fuel companies. Individual personal sponsorships have been amazing from family friends who have known David since he was a child. We are not quite there yet, but have managed to raise 75% of what is needed. So huge thanks to all involved. Another special mention must go to Norman Barrett for setting up and administering the Face Book page, as well as dealing with sponsors on Davids behalf and chasing up the finances.
    Racing and training is obviously the other factor in getting David to Dakar, fit and happy!! The riding ability and fitness is not too much of an issue, but navigation is going to be. We are all stressed out about that and that bloody road book. However, salvation in the form of Ingo and his upcoming navigation schools will hopefully alleviate this problem. We had the absolute pleasure of Giovanni Sala come to Zambia to do enduro training for the FIM Africa riders, and he spent hours going through lists of what we do and don’t need. The input from this podium finisher in the African Dakar, has been invaluable, and bizarre shopping lists are forming on my computer. Can see myself explaining washing powder to the Peruvian authorities on arrival as well as scotch tape and highlighters and the need for 12 pairs of earplugs!
    David has been racing in Zambia, Namibia and Zimbabwe and spends all day going around the farm on his motorbike. The 1000 km desert race is around the corner which will give him an idea of riding 500 kms a day. So saddle time will be covered, not sure how one trains for mental fitness though? Handling little things for the riders each day will hopefully alleviate stress, and allow them to concentrate on the riding.
  2. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Way to Go David! Thanks for giving us the background :clap: :clap:
  3. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet, thanks David, looking forward to following you guys in January!!!

Luc
  4. charapa

charapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huanuco, Peru, SA, home in Mid-Coast Maine, USA
    Not to worry about the Peruvian Authorities. They will be as excited as you are! An autographed hat works wonders 'south of the border"!
    :evil
  5. luisbelaustegui

luisbelaustegui Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have done Dakar before and I still feel like a Rookie.
    But I have to say that I enjoyed the first one much more than the rest.
    It is a great experience, best of luck and if I can help with anything do not hesitate to contact me
    belausteguil@umkc.edu

Luis
  6. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Go Luis!!! You're have a massive following on advrider with your nights spent with your "mistress of the desert" :D You're also too modest - You are one of the Dakar legends! :freaky :clap :clap :bow

Don't forget when the going gets tough we are following your progress and cheering you on.
  7. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    for 2013 Dakar there will be the strongest field of Aussies ever with at least 4 guys who are regular winners or podium placers at the Safari and other desert races in Aust. :clap

Ben just pulled off 10th outright & 5th in E2 this weekend at the A4DE (Australia's ISDE) just taking it easy in his first race since April, so his form is looking good, and he says he feels good and strong.

With 3 Safari wins, 3 Finke desert race wins, 3 Hattah desert race wins, 3 Condo 750 rally wins, ISDE E1 win, multiple national enduro, longtrack and supermotard titles to his credit...........Ben is Australia's top desert/rally racer

In addition to Ben Grabham there is also
    • Rod Faggotter with the EU Yamaha team
    • Matt Fish Husky Speedbrain
    • GHR Honda withTodd or Jacob Smith ?? not sure which one
  8. MacMan

MacMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Todd Smith for first time, and don't forget Warren Strange who is in fine form and training hard.
  9. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep - Warren is looking lean and mean these days and put in some very respectable performances at the Safari this year:deal. Definitely one to watch with his previous "lessons learnt" at the Dakar:clap.
  10. rallye

rallye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Warren is also heading over to Mexico on Wednesday to pre run and race the Baja 1000 with Vernon and Jacob Smith.
    I rode 500km on the weekend with him and at a pretty quick pace .
  11. Destination Dakar

Destination Dakar Still Racing Rallies

Oddometer:
    I can confirm I am again in the Dakar. I have teamed up with Simon Pavey, we are riding Husqvarnas. We were originally supposed to be a three rider team with Simon’s son Llewellyn unfortunately he did not make the cut. Though we were all disappointed Llell has dusted himself off and raced a rally in China proving to ASO (the error of the decision) he has gone to work assisting our team.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

The bike looks great, I have not ridden it yet, but Simon has and he says it is one of the best r<o:p></o:p>
    rally bikes he has ridden.<o:p></o:p>

As I type this my bike is sitting in a warehouse in Toronto hopefully being shipped to the UK today. <o:p></o:p>

The Dakar has been elusive for me, After my huge crash in 2009, I should never have gone in 2010 as I had not fully recovered from my 2009 crash and had not ridden a bike of any kind for most of 2010 compounding this two months before the 2010 Dakar I broke my finger requiring surgery.( I guess Charlie is right rally racers are like heroin addicts we just don't know when to quit)
    Now that I have published my 2009 and 2010 excuses I will move on to 2013.
    For the 2013 Rally I have returned to the exact training program I used in 2009, I am feeling pretty good considering I am now a little older and much worse for wear.
    It is an absolute pleasure working with Simon, he is highly organised and his experience is second to none.
    We will see what exciting challenges the 2013 Dakar throws at us, hopefully the challenge of getting the bike shipped are not an indication of what’s to come.

I will do my utmost to provide information to ADV however I usually find it is easier said than done once I am in the rally, survival seems to trump posting. But I will do my best.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>Only 68 days to start</o:p>
  12. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Awesome.. best of luck!

:clap
  13. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    Don, that's exactly the kind of bad attitude we don't take kindly to here! :D
  14. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I think that the Dakar "snowball" is a far tougher opponentent to fend off, than the virtual f5 version is Dread... :lol3

Congats on making the startlist this year (once again) Don... I am sure that you and Simon will give it a good shake... and Llewellyns involvement with the team, will only serve to make him all the more formidable a debutant, when he does get the opportunity! :clap
  15. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff Don. :clap

Do you have a link to your stories in 2009 & 2010, I'm sure it would be an interesting read.
  16. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    A taxi pulled out in front of me about a block from home, (Tijuana) and I had a few containers of powdered milk in the tailbox that got destroyed. They figured it out quick, but it was funny.
  17. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    Grabbo's Dakar 2013 Kato

[​IMG]
  18. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    can't find any posts from Manuel Lucchese of late ? whats he up to ?
  19. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
  20. Destination Dakar

Destination Dakar Still Racing Rallies

Oddometer:
    If you have watched any of the emergency medical shows on TV then add in a little terrorist excitement that pretty well sums up my Dakar experience 2008,2009,2010. lol

Our website www.rallyraidcanada.com has some information although at this very moment our tech is trying to get it to work again.
    There is also a trailer from a documentary that was done on our team on youtube just type in "Don Hatton Dakar" and select Chasing a Dream