Aerostich tank panniers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Gezerbike, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    I did a search, but wiht no success, so here goes. Any of you out there that have run the Aerostich Tank Panniers that can tell me about issues with either scuffing or scratching the tank from using these ? They are on sale right now and I have always wanted a set, but they would be riding right on top of my GS decals on my metal 1100 GS tank, and I'd hate to scratch either of them up. Thanks
  2. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't used the Aerostich ones, but have and use the Wolfman ones. I guess it depends on how picky you are. I have found that if they are on long enough, eventually dust will get between the bag and tank and make micro scratches. I've not found major grinding off of decals or anything like that.

If you are very particular, you can coat the tank area where the bags sit with a clear decal coating like used for numberplate backgrounds.
  3. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    They have a fairly substantial amount of soft\plush\fuzzy material on the inside (replaceable). Feels like fleece or sheepskin. Shouldn't bother the tank at all....unless of course something finds it's way in between the two.

I personally always preferred the Revpack saddlebags as tank panniers myself, close to the same size, maybe a little larger. same exact protective system on the back.
  4. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:
    Depending upon where you mount them and how long your legs are, you may find them rubbing against your knees.

They keep your legs warmer in the winter (good)...and the summer(bad)

They can restrict the air flow on some bikes (F650 comes to mind), causing them to run hotter.

They allow you to bring more stuff (good)
    They allow you to bring more stuff (bad)

They are not waterproof, and you need to use waterproof stuff sack as liners.

I sold mine once I decided to pack less crap.

Like most Aerostich gear, they are well-made and hold up well. I've seen really old and faded ones, but they were still good.
  5. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
  6. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How roomy are the wolfman's?? Ive got the Wolfman Ranier tank bag. Great tank bag, hell it even fits my hard hat, but it gets in my way when I stand. Was thinking of trying tank panniers instead, 90% of the stuff I carry in the tank bag is small enough I could split it up between the two sides I think. Anything bigger, either Ill have my panniers on or I can throw my top box on.
  7. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    if your worried about them scratching the paint, put some clear contact paper or tape on the tank before you use them on a trip.
    I've used them for about 20 years now and still use them regularly on my trips, which are always 2 up and I need every inch of packing space I can get!
  8. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Used them extensively on a GSPD BMW. Excellent product. Soft fleece-type fabric on the top straps and soft foamish material on the backs of the bags. No obvious damage to the finish of the PD's tank, though it's plastic and not highly finished.

In addition to luggage space, they offer excellent weather protection for your legs in cooler weather.

[​IMG]
  9. hairsmith

hairsmith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have used mine on the KLR and 1150GS. Not that I would be able to tell if it damaged the KLR but they have never damaged the GS. Make sure they are clean before you put them on.
    They give a lot of room for things you want to get to easly. And the ability to carry way to much crap, and yes I do.

[​IMG]
  10. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. Took the plunge and ordered a set from Aerostich today. They have them on sale for $ 101.00 and a flat $ 5.00 for shipping for the next 2 days.
  11. woodentoy

woodentoy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have them mounted on my crash bars on my VStrom. I cut the straps right off and put grommets through the back of the bags and then zip tie the bags to the crash bars. I keep my first aid kit and bike cover in one and my tire repair kit and rain gear in the other.