XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Spud Rider, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problema. :lol3 You are correct. :nod

After you remove the bracket, examine how the two other fasterners are connected to the air box. Then rivet the third connector to the air box in the same manner. :deal

Spud :wave
  2. Lost on Row 1

Lost on Row 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I have a couple of months of tinkering before I can ride again. Best time of the year to be mending, right?
    Since I just picked this XR up, it gives me time to go through it. I have benefited from the information you all have shared.
  3. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. :D Indeed, winter is the best time to modify a motorcycle! I want to ride when the weather gets nicer, and prefer to have my mods completed before the riding season begins. :wink:

Spud :beer
  4. klxmack

klxmack king of the box

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's what I did.
  5. zulusafari

zulusafari Malta DualSport

Oddometer:
    Spud, sent you a message. I accidentally got the full size battery a while back, so I need to make another purchase and I'm considering the Antigravity. Your link no longer works. What is the model? or would you happen to have a new link?
  6. zulusafari

Oddometer:
    Ah, never mind...

http://antigravitybatteries.com/ag-801

The model is Antigravity AG801 $180 as of today. They are offering a 10% discount code "adventure" to all the inmates... just punch it in at check out.
  7. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You found it. :D Although my Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 battery has operated flawlessly for over 30,000 miles, I now recommend the Antigravity 8-Cell (AG801) battery. This battery has stronger terminals and cranks harder than the Shorai batteries. :deal

8. zulusafari

Oddometer:
    Assuming two battery's only variables are Ah and Cranking Amps (CA), if you have not started your XR in a month, would you prefer to have higher CA for a shorter time (9Ah), or lower CA for a longer time (14Ah)?

Would you rather have the Shorai 14Ah battery with lower CA (210) or the Antigravity 9Ah battery with higher CA (240). Sadly these are cranking amps and not Cold Cranking Amps. So this leaves me to wonder if these guys are even using the same environment during measurements. So a comparison would be moot.

Spud - one more related question, I don't want to take this thread any further off track...
    what's the reason for having a battery with any given amount of Ah? Since the stock has 18Ah, what are we giving up? While the bike is running, only the output of the stator matters really, right?
  9. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The lithium battery manufacturers don't use the same measurements as lead-acid battery manufacturers. Also, Shorai seems to inflate their specs more than Antigravity, and other lithium battery manufacturers. Cranking amps are more important to me. Considering all the factors, I would personally buy the Antigravity 8-Cell battery. :deal

10. zulusafari

Oddometer:
    Well Spud, I finally did it. I got the Antigravity brought over a few weeks ago and got it on today. The only part not done yet is securing the CDI inside the airbox. Did you just punch a few holes through the back of the box and run the zip tie through? is that your long-term solution? I'm not crazy about putting holes in that side. That's where all the dirt comes from!

How did you secure your battery down? I'm also using zip ties there, but would like a better solution so I don't have to cut them every time I want to access the battery.

Thanks!
  11. EXRM193

EXRM193 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used zip ties and filled the holes with car body filler....no problems at all
  12. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good for you. :D

I drilled two small holes in the back of the air box. I secure the CDI unit with one zip tie. The zip tie holds the CDI unit very securely, and no extra dirt enters the air box. :deal

I secure the battery to the top of the air box with velcro. The velcro holds the battery very well, yet it is very easy to remove the battery whenever I wish. :nod

13. Northern Hooligan

Northern Hooligan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done this conversion, with either battery that lives in a colder climate, September / October, when the temp drops down into -5 C / 20 F for the early am rides. Any problems with starting when you are using the heated grips, aux lighting?

I want to do this conversion and make the battery box the tool box ( tire irons / tube etc etc ).

Cheers
  14. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 battery has always easily started my XR650L at temperatures slightly above freezing. However, I recommend you purchase the Antigravity 8-Cell battery, which has even more cranking power.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/ag-801/

[​IMG]

I have heated grips installed on my XR650L, and my Shorai battery works well with them. I haven't had any problems. :D Heated grips should not make your bike more difficult to start.

15. Northern Hooligan

Northern Hooligan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you !!
  16. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. :D

17. betiller

betiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone got the part number for the XR600 left side panel? Numb nuts at the Honda parts counter does not understand what I need. Thanks.
  18. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. betiller

betiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks. i knew i could count on Spudster.
  20. penzone

penzone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a LFX14A2-BS12 on the way. I spent yesterday afternoon moving wiring and getting everything ready. All I need now is some velcro and a battery to drop in. Does anyone have a recommendation on a velcro brand with heavy duty adhesive backing?

I was thinking of mounting a 4-5" diameter PVC tube where the battery box was for a waterproof storage compartment. Thoughts?