South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JDowns, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Hi ONandOFF,

Good for you! If there's one thing I've learned as a contractor for the last 30 plus years it's that you're only as good as your last job. People will hunt you down like a wild animal if you're honest, don't cut corners, look out for their best interests and do consistently great work. No need for advertising. They'll still be there needing things done no matter where you ride your motorcycle.

Your reputation is all you have in the end. It's up to you whether it's good or bad.

Saludos,
    Juan Carpintero
  2. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John:

I may not comment much but I am still here following your every word.

I like your work ethic and can't wait to find out about your budget traveling ideas and how to help others ride to far away places.

It's interesting the many comments about leaving your comfort zone and heading out for an adventure, whether it be to SA, Mexico or just 100 miles down the road for a cup of coffee. You just have to take the first step and do it. You have shown us the minimalist way, and we thank you for reporting back your findings . . .

thank you for all your inspiration, it would be a pleasure to meet you on the road on day

bob
  3. Haven't Ben There

Haven't Ben There Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello John. Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to do this rr it has been very inspirational. Also wanted to let you know I will be heading on a short adv in May for about a week or two, going to the Smoky Mountains on a 1985 650 nighthawk. I can not wait. Thanks again and ride safe.:clap
  4. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi Haven't Ben There,

You are going to have so much fun! I visited the Smoky Mountains a couple years ago for the first time. Wow! There's some great riding around there. I was in my truck doing some remodeling on a vacation home on the Tail of the Dragon outside Robbinsville, North Carolina. But it was adventure in October with the fall foliage. Should be fun in May as well. It is a truly beautiful area of the country. Really friendly people in rural NC as well.

You can have a lot of fun in a week or two out there. And I remember the 650 Nighthawk when it first came out. That is a sweet Honda with a great motor.

Glad to have you along for the ride amigo.

Saludos,
    Juan Smoky
  5. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi bob,

I hope to see you down the road someday. BC is my favorite Province. If I'm ever in the area, I'll be sure to look you up just to say hi.

Glad you're still following along. And yes, I will be looking into every creative way I can to get more people out there riding who are financially insolvent like me. I will report back what I find.

Saludos,
    Juanito
  6. Dooga

Dooga Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    But when the ride is done you should package the words into a book, an eBook, and a blog, all of which you can monetize. Apres.
  7. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi Dooga,

When I first started this ride report my basic attitude was monetize, schmonetize. I don't ride to make money. I was used to reading ride reports on ADVrider for free. Nothing wrong with that. But now I realize how expensive it is to ride around on your bike to the ends of the earth. So I have started donating to other riders out on the road. I don't pay for cable so I have a hundred bucks a month to donate to other riders. And I will continue to do so once I get home now that I know what it means to be in a pinch and get donations from fellow ADVriders. It means a LOT. Let me tell you.
    I am in awe of anyone who can take off and ride around the world for a year or two. I wish I were independently wealthy and could do the same. Mind you, I will still write ride reports for free since it seems to be something I have an affinity for.

But I will look into the ebook thing and all other options just for fun and report back if it is something that others can do. Not everybody knows about ADVrider. It can't hurt to try. I am a guinea pig on the roads less traveled.

Saludos,
    Juan Guinea
    Cro59 likes this.
  8. Dual Personality

Dual Personality How many more days in life do we get to ride?

Oddometer:
    No, John...you are the KING of guinea pigs!

The Elvis of the exercise wheel.
    The Sultan of South America.

And we thank you for taking us all along for the ride. :clap
    When are you flying back amigo?
  9. Dracula

Dracula Fat Griso & The Ape Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi John,

I learned so much, and continue to do so, here on this site, not only about riding around the world but also about myself. What I really want from life at this point. Thanks to the true ADV'ers out there like yourself it was possible to understand that living the experience of travel by motorcycle confirms my being in tune with the world. I have an office job where I enjoy interacting with customers remotely via phone and computer, fixing difficult software problems. And it's a great feeling resolving the technical challenges and seeing that treating people well reciprocates most of the time, but in the end I realize live in a virtual world governed by nothing else but petty interests and office politics of corporate America. And that no one will erect a statue of myself for posterity in front of the company entrance when and if I ever retire, no matter how much passion I put into my daily efforts. :D

I am saying all this is because you have opened my eyes to the real life that one never gets back every day that it passes. And that, as you said, there are no guarantees in life, hence we each must take our chances to seek the dreams we are after.

Now, money or lack thereof, is a big factor in enjoying freedom, so going minimalist is logical. That will stretch travel living budget for a while. I have read several stories of people who took to the road selling their belongings and home and going until their funds deplete, hoping that they had enough to not worry for years. And figure it out then. I don't know how they do it. Or when the end comes, how they plug back in to the money making.
    Others are fortunate to get sponsored, but I think then the ride is no longer theirs alone as they must please their sponsors in some ways.
    Donations are nice, however publishing formally your adventures as e-books or other media, even though it may not be that easy as it seems to create selling material, could prove a viable source of income. I have a friend who just quit his day job and is now his own boss making all his income from YouTube advertising. That doesn't mean he can take off for months. We each know what we can do best, so I guess working the job that we know is in a way easier.

Just few random thoughts I felt the desire to share.

Best,
    Vic
  10. nvklr

nvklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    John,
    Just wanted to let you know I'm still reading and look forward to your writings every day. It will be a sad day for me when your ride has to take a temporary break, but I truely appriciate your taking the time to share with the rest of the world, and look forward to your future reports. Thank you! :beer
  11. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi nvklr,

Glad you are still following along! This ride report is far from over. The Sherpa is still running strong and South America is huge. Even though I'll have to head back home for a bit to earn more money, summer goes by quickly and I'll be back at it next fall if I have anything to say about it.

Gracias amigo,
    Juan Viajero
  12. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi Vic,

I enjoy your random thoughts. Tech support is a thankless job, kind of like being a contractor. Solving problems for people is rewarding in and of itself. The only satisfaction of a job well done comes from within you. If you need pats on the back, you will be wanting. I admire anyone who can work in a corporate job. I've always been self employed. I can imagine I would last about two days working for someone else.

As far as selling everything you own and hitting the long road, I've done that when I was younger. Had a giant garage sale and left for a year with a backpack. The problem is, you have to buy all that stuff back when you get home. Better just to store the expensive stuff like stereo, TV, appliances, car, etc. for a year IMHO. And when you get home, you start at the bottom and work your way up. Talk about being a stranger in a strange land. When you go from the third world back home it can take a while to adjust. I remember walking into a Safeway with automatic spritzers spraying the lettuce in the produce section and being amazed. And hot showers. Holy crap! What a great idea, whoever invented that! In my case it took about a year to get back to where I was pre-trip. Well worth it though. I have no regrets. And I will have no regrets when I get home broke this time. Money comes and goes. Travel memories are forever. I still remember coming over the ridge and seeing the snowy Himalayas for the first time at sunset glowing and golden, kissing the sky off in the distance. It's been over 20 years. Seems like yesterday. Took my breath away at the time.

I will look into the ebook thing and report back what I find. Maybe my Dad was wrong. Things might have changed since he published books. It's a new world. I will give it a shot just out of curiosity. Who knows? Since I don't care if I make any money it will be a fun experiment.

Saludos,
    Juan Autor
  13. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:

Very well expressed. I love your way with words.
  14. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi KLRmonkey,

Sultan of South America has a nice ring to it. I might have to make a tee shirt to finance my return trip next fall. I like that better than a pic of me on the Sherpa with a guinea pig head.

I made a reservation on Spirit Airlines for the 13th of next month. I have to go to Arizona to pick up my sister's truck to ride back to Nebraska, and Spirit is the cheapest airline. Should be fun. They've only had a couple major crashes in the last few years. They are no frills and charge for carryon, so I'll be heading home with nothing. Leave all my stuff down here.

Saludos,
    Juan Avion Viajero
  15. Haven't Ben There

Haven't Ben There Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi John, Sultan of South America, I would like to order a t shirt. Thanks again for the ride report it has been great and I am looking forward to the Sultan's further travels. I also agree with all the suggestions on writing a book then you could go into even more detail. I am sure you will do great you have the right attitude, nothing stops you, it just redirects you to another adventure. Continue to enjoy and ride safe.
  16. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Hey John, That's awesome that you came so nearby! That's just a day's ride away from us. I wonder if you were there the same time as we were. Anyone who's been very far realizes the world isn't physically small, but in some other senses it is. Next time you're out this way, please message us. Here we are on October 9th, 2009:
    [​IMG]
    Wouldn't that be something if you were right down the road. We've also been there in April, but it was darn cold waking up with ice on the inside of the tent and frost all around. A morning bonfire never felt so good. And with a late start, getting home after dark it was quite uncomfortable the last hour without heated gear. We won't go that early in the year again!
    Bendiciones, George & Rosie
  17. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Maestro Juan, I can't believe you got a flight for $260 something! Makes me want to re-think how to get to Ecuador next time. Where are you departing from, José María Córdova (MDE)?

I just noticed that you no longer have the johnthomasdowns blogspot link on your signature - is that due to the restrictions you mentioned earlier? I had been under the impression that you had determined that was acceptable practice when you switched from the pay pal link. Perhaps there are other motivations for removing that link.
  18. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    My guess would be that his trip is coming to the end and he felt it was not appropriate to accept any more donation? So in the process he felt it is best to remove the link so he doesn't let some donors down. Otherwise this probably would be more appropriate discussed via PM? :thumb
  19. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Perhaps. But we're conversing with a unique individual who enjoys sharing his thoughts and ideas with the ride report community, and has already presented in-depth discussions on the topic, so I doubt he would prefer discussing via PM. I could be wrong. I'm sure he'll be along to set us straight once he gets a break to catch his breath! Paciencia....
  20. bESS

bESS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John:

I am taking your advice and riding out of my comfort zone this summer. I should be passing just north of Bassett, NE this July. I am leaving Vancouver around July 10th and heading to the Atlantic Coast. I am using the JDowns© route planning method of either turning left or right as I arrive at a junction

I have only been to Nebraska once many years ago to Omaha. All I remember are fields of corn. Now when I think NE I think Jdowns©, sort of a word association thing.

We'll see if you're home as we get closer . . .

bob
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.