BMW and Hardleys

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mwood7800, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Doby Pilgrim

Doby Pilgrim n00b

Oddometer:
    I like my 1200C. I have a dozen bikes and that BMW gets the most compliments of any of them. Those who don't like them, please don't ride one. That way the prices can stay affordable for people like me who do.
    They are not for everyone, and I like that they are relatively rare in my area. That said, they were BMW's best selling bikes when they were introduced. The company let the tech on the bikes languish and then when sales inevitably slowed they discontinued them. Duh.

They don't have too many buttons either.

I like Jim Beam as well, but I try not to post after having too many of them.
  2. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm only 48, I don't qualify to rail a hardly-ableson yet :evil

[​IMG]
  3. marksbonneville

marksbonneville Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had (still have) this same thought and then I turned 50 and now a couple years later I ride a Harley the very bike I made fun of, and I love it. Does this mean I won't own or ride other brands? Nope not at all, it just means I love my Harley and I'm over 50. But I also die my beard so I look 40 if that helps. :1drink
  4. Moonshiner

Moonshiner aka "B-dog"

Oddometer:
    Currently own 2 BMW's (an airhead and an oilhead), and owned another airhead in the past. Great motorcycles.

I've only ridden one Harley, a 2003 1200 Sporty. I was pleasantly surprised. It was fun, it handled great, and stopped OK. What more do you need for a weekend jaunt through the countryside?

I always thought that I'd eventually be a Harley guy, but I'm not feeling it. For the record, I'm 53.
  5. sarhog

sarhog Ride far...

Oddometer:
    Hmm... interesting. As a former owner of a couple of ElectraGlides, a Fatboy, and a hardtail, I had kind of lost interest in motorcycling. Many reasons I suppose, from riding pals moving away, to a new job that supplies a company car. Anyhow, I recently got a BMW K16GTL and it has provided that smile.
  6. alii1959

alii1959 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't die my beard, but I had much the same experience you did. I always made fun of Harleys. I always dropped by the dealerships to check them out. When my back no longer enjoyed the GSX-600r I rode everything I could find. The one that got my attention: Road KIng. I have ridden my Road King more than any other bike I have ever owned. I have taken long trips, that I would never have considered on any other bike. But I still shake my head now and again when I realize that I am on a Harley. Yeah, I am 53, but it truly is a heck of a bike. I cannot say that I ride that much slower even, but it sure is fun on a clear cool day just to glide through the backroads without a care in the world......man I need a long ride!
  7. zataomm

zataomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another 53 year-old here, also a late-comer to Harley ownership. I love everything about my Roadster sporty - smooth, plenty of power, sounds great, easy to maintain and unbelievably dependable - plus it reminds me of all the vintage bikes I have ever owned when I ride it. I don't own anything that says Harley on it other than the bike and could care less about all the "lifestyle" stuff. Also have owned BMW's and would like to have another one day, but at the moment can only afford to have one bike, and this one pretty much does it all for me.
  8. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    Well, I can't say that I'm a HD convert. Since both my parents worked for a Harley dealer, that's what I started riding on when I got my license in '61. No need to convert as I was hooked from the beginning. I've strayed a lot over the years. I've owned Triumphs, BMWs, Guzzis, and all the Japanese brands. Adventure bikes, enduros, dirt bikes, sport bikes, sport tourers, standards and cruisers. I found something to like about all of them becasue I love bikes, but none of them were ever as satisfying as the Harleys. So I'm back once again to an ElectraGlide for touring and a Sporty for around town. Plus the Guzzi California for when I want a cruiser 'cause it has about as much soul as a Harley and handles better than any Dyna.

And yes, you will usually find a Harley tee shirt under my gear. I've been wearing them since before I even had a license. Those black tee shirts have been around a lot longer than the "lifestyle".
  9. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

No,,,,he's right. It's so ugly, it hit a few branches as it fell out of the ugly tree.
  11. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Harleys and BMWs have their issues. BMWs used to be high quality but no more. Harley's quality has improved considerably, but is still not perfect. They did make some major improvements, but took a step back with that chain driven twin cam set up (what advantage does 2 cams have over 1 in a cruiser motor?) Except for Sportsters, Harleys still have, and hopefully always will have, a separate engine and transmission. It's a big part of what makes them Harleys. It also makes it a lot easier to fix engine or transmission problems, because you don't have to tear them both apart. And it has been proven to work for over 100 years.

As for comfort, that is a whole nother can of worms. I would also find a Harley more comfortable, BMW just can't seem to get rid of those damn low bars and rearset pegs. Except for the R1200C. Looks are subjective, I won't even comment on it. I buy bikes to ride not look at. And the R1200C was the only comfortable bike BMW ever made.
  12. ka5ysy

ka5ysy Doug

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  13. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    I used to do all my own work on my sportsters and honestly did not find pulling the tranny or whatever to be that big a deal. Easy bike to work on. Although they were pretty bullet-proof. And the riding positions you describe? Exactly why I find the BMW generally MORE comfortable than the HD. Look, we all fit things differently. As far as reliability, I personally haven't had a single serious issue with either make; but my luck's bound to change.
  14. ChemEng

ChemEng Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what this means, but goodness did it make me laugh.
  15. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    Best Jo momma thread yet and I only own half a Harley. :brow

996DL
  16. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    How bout 1/2 a BMW.
    [​IMG]
  17. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  18. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't even know a standard from a feet forward bike there Jerry so you commenting on comfort is laughable. The R1200C with its mid controls is the most uncomfortable BMW I have ever ridden (I've owned 6- 2 of them "C's)
    The only saving grace of the C's was the engine guard to throw your legs up on and the fact that some of them had the flip-up lumbar support.

An upright (standard) riding position is better for long days in the saddle for most people... Unless they have knee issues, then a feet forward with lumbar support is generally preferred.
  19. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    Any of the Harley Touring bikes would be more comfortable and have hell of a lot more character than some bland BMW...
    :evil
  20. pmelby

pmelby Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my kind of bland, not bad for comfort either:
    [​IMG]

This was my kind of bland, not quite as comfortable:
    [​IMG]

cheers,
    melby