F800GS top cases

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by markas, Jul 25, 2009.

1. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    NRS Expedition Dry Duffel. Been using it for a long time now. Very durable. Very waterproof. Very cheap! $70. For those that live in the Twin Cities area, they have 'em at Midwest mountaineering. Straps onto the top rear of the F800GS almost as if it were designed for it, and considerably cheaper than a hard case!

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2955&deptid=1630 (Read the testemonial)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Enjoy the plate number...you dont see them often!:lol3
  3. markas

markas Small-time Explorer

Oddometer:
    Kappa53 top case from back:
    [​IMG]
    And front:
    [​IMG]
  4. lanturlu

lanturlu n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same situation as Cug, need a big top box to put laptop backpack for daily commute, helm + boots when I go to the beach or some other place where I can't really carry my gear. Could go with 2 side panniers for more storage but I would prefer to have a narrower profile and a happier wallet, if possible. And with a top box, you don't have to worry about loading the 2 panniers with roughly the same weight for balance.

BTW, this is my first post, I'm new to adventure riding and have never rode with a top box nor panniers. I'm about to buy (most likely) the F800gs and have experience riding a honda shadow 750 before. I'm just doing my homework before buying what's more appropriate for me. The bike will be my only vehicle, so it must have good quality, large lockable storage on it and I would prefer not to go with plastic. It's gonna be used for commuting, "general daily life" moving around, touring and adventure riding as my skill level improves.

Problem is, I haven't seen any large aluminium top boxes, one that would fit something like 2 fullface helmets (~55cm+). There seem to be the new Hepco Becker 45L Xplorer aluminium top case that could do the job, but I can't seem to find the dimensions on their official website:

http://www.hepco-becker.de/_eng/frameset.php

They are listed on this USA online store, but the dimensions are the same as their 40L pannier and they list the volume at 40L, so I guess it's a mistake/typo:

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=610_212_00_00&Category_Code=Top_Cases_and_Saddlebags_Top_Cases

So here's a few questions:

1) does anyone knows why most of the alu top boxes are small? I've seen some wide plastic top boxes, but nothing in alu from Trax, TT, BMW adv alu, Jesses, etc. that could hold ~2 helmets. Is there no market for such boxes?

2) Can it be a weight issue? I would think that riding with a passenger is probably more affecting the handling of the bike than a fully loaded 45L top box. So weight can't really be the only reason.

3) Could it also be that a wider alu top box would prevent the side panniers to freely open? This seems to be the most plausible explanation I could come up with.

4) Has anyone seen or have experience with the new Xplorer 45? What are the internal dimensions?

If I can't find the alu top box I want, I think that I would have to go for the BMW alu panniers. I might eventually get a full 3 box set, but I would prefer start with just one wide alu top box. Any thought?

Thanks.
  5. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    IN the owner's manual on about page 75 it claims that the maximum payload for the topcase is 5kg. Also, the way I read it it says the side cases can only have 8Kb each.

It does not differentiate between just driver + gear and 2-up riding + gear that I can tell...

Maybe that's why nobody makes a really big top case... ?
    To be fair, the center-of-gravity and the handling of the bike will be better with the weight lower.

Have you thought of one of the license plate helmet locks to elminate need to have a case big enough for two helmets?

I have one of these, and no one has ever messed with my helmets....
    I take along some black plastic bags and cover the helmets if it looks like rain and to make them less obvious if I'm in a bad
    part of town...

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=GUARDIAN
  6. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    This is a Jesse top box from a few years ago, 60 liters or so, and it easily holds two XL lids. You might find them but it's definitely not suitable for F800GS use other than straight up commuting or going to the beach. Stability in high speed sweepers will be a problem, so as a simple FWIW ....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. moto_loco

moto_loco poser extraordinaire

Oddometer:

This Kappa set up looks sweet on the GS.
    it would look good on anything else, too.
    You can drop some serious coinage on hard bags, but a nice,
    quality top case is worth it.
  8. lanturlu

lanturlu n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answers guys, I finally decided to go for the panniers instead of a top box, and I'll use only one side if I really plan on doing some lane splitting! And if it becomes too problematic/unstable, either 2 panniers or I'll get a waterproof bag to put on the passenger seat for commuting and the panniers for touring/adventure riding. Thanks for the help.
  9. OZZY-DUCK

OZZY-DUCK Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am a real fan of the BMW Top Box, expensive yes, but I am happy with the look and I am comfortable with the fact it will hang on in the rough stuff. Also in the future plan on putting on the BMW Adventure panniers once I sell a kidney:wink: [​IMG]
  10. cula

cula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What kind of windshield is that? Does it work well? $$$?

11. Motowalt

Motowalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cortech tail pack on a TT rack fits perfectly and holds my jacket liner, electric vest, extra gloves, and it has a rain cover.

[​IMG]
  12. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    That's a BMW Touring Windshield with a Laminar Lip attached. It did work well, but not as good as my Aeroflow now. But I think the main reason were that the handguards I had resulted in a lot of buffeting to the helmet and I never really thought of trying without them.

If you could fit R1200GS Adv wind wings with this setup (I never tried) it might have worked out nearly as well as the Aeroflow. For about the same price overall ... :huh

So, if you want a well working windshield and don't mind taking it off for offroad rides, get an Aeroflow right away and don't mess with a couple others before, like I did.
  13. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    As Harry pointed out, Jesse used to make a monstrous 70L aluminum top case, I have one. TT used to make a fairly large, 50L I believe, case. They no longer make it. Both held two full face helmets. The Jesse held two jet helmets and 3 shorties.

The reason they all stopped producing them is probably because not many people bought them. Hell, I'm in NYC and every damn time I hit a bump I think it's gonna destroy my subframe. Even though it's empty. Only time I fill it to capacity is when I go grocery shopping, and I take extra care to ride slowly and swerve around bumps and potholes.

Don't worry about plastic in the city, they're just as secure as aluminum. If someone wants in your top case, they'll get in your top case. You can probably bust the latch on an aluminum case with a small screwdriver. Those locks are just to persuade casual theft, not to keep criminals out. Givi cases are probably more difficult to break because it's not easy to find a spot to break the latch, and most people would not know where exactly that latch is unless they know GIVI.

14. cula

cula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thank you!!!
  15. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Question for all the top case junkies here ...

I have a F800GS with SW Motech Aluminum rack and Givi Adapter plate on that. Normally I use a Maxia E52 top case.

Now, for about 80% of my rides, that top case is WAY too big. My question now is, what is the smallest top case that fits a Givi Monokey base plate?

Thanks for hints!
  17. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    zero case for top case...added drawer pulls for tie downs...

[​IMG]
  18. Adventure boy

Adventure boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heres Mine

Attached Files:

19. planethopper

planethopper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice!! I have the same laptop with the same stealy sticker:) Still touring but in a different direction.
  20. DSjunky

DSjunky Runnin On Empty

Oddometer:
    We have the BMW factory top case and panniers on the little woman's F650GS twin. They are slick as snot. On or off in seconds, lockable, width adjustable, and become mini suitcases for easy carrying.

What's all the hub-bub about cases?

Get Motorrad and be done.