F800: Front Sprocket Torque Settings

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by 3rdGear, Jan 9, 2010.

1. 3rdGear

3rdGear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just swapped out my front sprocket on my F800 for 15T. Only one problem, I don't now the proper torque setting. If you happen to know what it is, please let me know.

Thanks!
  2. CSL3

CSL3 Claude the Adventurer :)

Oddometer:
    <style title="owaParaStyle">P { MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px } BODY { SCROLLBAR-HIGHLIGHT-COLOR: #cecfce; SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: #010101; SCROLLBAR-TRACK-COLOR: #fffbff; SCROLLBAR-DARKSHADOW-COLOR: #fafafa; SCROLLBAR-BASE-COLOR: #f7f7f7 } SPAN#misspelled { BACKGROUND: url(8.1.393.1/themes/base/squiggly.gif) repeat-x 50% bottom; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px } </style>Tightening torques
    Pinion to gearbox output shaft

M10 x 1.5 x 35, 50 Nm (37 ft/lb)
    Loctite 243, Thread-locking compound, Medium strength

/C
  3. 3rdGear

3rdGear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Just returned from a 200 mile ride, mostly dirt. The new sprocket helped.
  4. Goodwill2010

Goodwill2010 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

went to BMW and they have no listing for a f800 front sprocket, can you tell me what model you got and from where? Many thanks,

Goodwill
  5. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Renthal and Touratech do them.
  6. 3rdGear

3rdGear Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    3rdGear,

I'm seriously considering buying a new F800GS and took a test ride on the street last week. The bike felt great on the road, but didn't seem happy below about 20mph in first gear. I ride a lot of tight singletrack, and I'm wondering if I'd be constantly on the clutch, even with the 15 tooth sprocket. Any thoughts?
  8. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went to 15t front sprocket and 45t rear. Solved the low speed problem. Took the range out of 3rd and 4th and put it in 5th but I'll trade that any day to have the low speed control.
  9. poolman

Oddometer:
    Wildman,

Thanks, that is good to know. I was thinking during the test ride that I would gladly trade 6th gear for a "granny" 1st. How slow can you ride without bogging with the 15 t / 45 t combination?

Thanks,

Chemauto
  10. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It will be an issue. At idle in first gear, with stock running gear, I am moving at 8mph. Even on doubletrack roads, negotiating sharp rocky uphill switchbacks can require feathering the clutch. A 15 tooth counter sprocket certainly helps, but then you are taking away from the top end to get to where you are going. The 800 gs has the same trans ratio's as the 800 street bike and definitely could use a trans with a wider ratio.

I know people will argue differently or that the bike is not designed for that. The bike certainly will easily do highway speeds with the shorter gearing but then you are getting into the vibration range and at low speeds
    throttle control issues get magnified.

I am glad I kept my thumper.
  11. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't measured (and I'm too busy to ride for a few weeks :cry ) but slow enough not to be a problem. It's true you have to be smooth, quick away from the lights involves a very quick step through the gears and the vibes and fuel consumption you had at 70mph are now at 60mph. It's always a compromise but I'm very happy with the 15t/45t sprockets for now.

Edit: check this out.
  12. poolman

Oddometer:
    Wildman,

Thank you for the link, read the entire thread and it was just what I was looking for. My current bike is an XT225, so I don't think street performance with the 15t/45t sprockets will be an issue :huh.

Well, it looks like my last concern with the F8 has been resolved; that new orange 2010 at my local dealership may wind up in my driveway this weekend!

Thanks,

Chemauto
  13. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Have the 15 tooth on now and it helps. I don't mind slipping the clutch on "wet" bike. Easy to replace as well. The more I get used to the bike the less I'm slipping it anyways.