Rallye navigation bracket photo thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by wrk2surf, May 4, 2011.

1. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:

I've ridden two hare scrambles with one of Paul's triple clamp mounted nav towers and It didn't bother me at all weight wise. It's not that heavy honestly.

Great work Paul, it's the IKEA Nav tower:lol3
  2. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have over 1000 miles with pauls Triple clamp mounted unit and it works great !!!
    the best part about it is at night when you turn the light is where the wheel is pointed not just off in to space!
  3. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Got it all together today and went for a ride down the freeway, after one abort to tighten down everything I forgot to, I got up to 85 with the thing and it feels pretty good, not much of a test but it was great to get it all together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moved the horn and hi beam to the throttle side to open up room for a future roadbook combo switch,

[​IMG]

Nothing bolts to the outside of this plate so I don't have to disconnect anything to get at the insides,

[​IMG]

Still need to find a clean way of attaching the horn and connectors to the side plates, but picked up a neat little fuse holder.

[​IMG]

Just the 2 squadrons and the roadbook/USB circuits, need some smaller fuses,

[​IMG]
  4. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    I've also clocked some serious off-road miles with Paul's fork mounted setup and I can say that unless you are racing on a single track, the weight is a non-issue. Look at many of the low budget dakar racers from the 80's and 90's and you'll see a ton of similar setups.

The frame mounted setups are better in a lot of cases, especially with full coverage plastic. I still like having the lights point where I point the bars. I still have nightmares from trying to ride my NX250 in the woods chasing some friends...it's lame light was frame mounted.
  5. RSinBC

RSinBC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul, is that a clear cover over the lights??

Let me know when you can ship.

Thanks, Richard
  6. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:

It may have been asked before but can you give me a link to the outer sheath (black) that you have used, It really neatens the front wiring. Also about the fuse holder too if possible.
  7. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Is certainly possible to have the best of both worlds, and it has been done. Try to find some images of the old Baja XR650's with dual 8" racelights. They were frame-mounted and tied into the steering. We're working on adapting that idea to smaller LED lights now.
  8. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Or you can just wear a helmet light. On the ice at night, I wear the helmet light and I use it to look through corners, while I'm sliding and the headlight is pointing off the course from counter steering. The helmet makes a nice back up if your lighting quits.
  9. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    The wrap looks like powerbraid...McMaster looks like they have it for pretty cheap

Working on the first iteration of a tower for the WRR. Still need to add in various switches/work on packaging/lightening, but it's getting there. Looking forward to seeing how light+rigid I'll be able to make it with a bit of FEA :evil

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Malhon
  10. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    godwinmt nailed it, that's the series I use, comes in colors and sizes.

Connectors I get here now, they're US based for me and ship fast.

http://www.corsa-technic.com/category.php?category_id=54

Fuse holder I picked up here, they also have the connectors, so you can combine your order, but take a bit longer to get here,

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Fuseholders/fuseholders.html

Hey Jesse, they still have them, kind of pricey and don't break it in a race, all the force of an impact is transferred to the strut. I'm with Aaron, a big fan of helmet lights. The LED ones are super bright, last longer then HID and getting lighter all the time.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=610050

Nice job on the design, if you have a decent FEA plugin use it, they're magic and can save a lot of time and grief.
  11. godwinmt

Oddometer:
    It's amazing what FEA used when smartly can do...and what it can screw up if you don't know what you're doing :) Inventor interfaces with ANSYS very well which is a blessing with it all.
  12. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    I know you've been hard at it, can't wait to see it on your bike, nice shop what's the sewing machine used for?

The triple mounted version with F@R holder, 2 Squadrons, fairing and all the brackets d the and fasteners weights in at 5.5lbs and the radius it swings is tight, the pendulum effect is all but unnoticeable for shorter rides, have no idea how it would feel after something like the B1K.

Yep, had some 1/16" polycarbonate and had the kid cut one up out of a template I printed out, then he pop riveted it on. I'm not too sure how I feel about that yet, want to see how much dust will collect behind it. It won't be easy to clean.

Have to take care of all the guys that trusted me to get the project done first, should have that handled by the end of next week.
  13. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    Preaching to the choir, there seems to be more idiots using it to prove an untenable point at times. I can't wait for a release that will weigh defined design parameters and learn, then make self modifications!
  14. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the links mate. DigiKey wasn't quite cutting it....
  15. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paul that is indeed a great design, on the bike it looks even better !!
    About the lab, :rofl :rofl The sewing machine is used to modify some fireproof suits for people that handle molten metal :eek1 ... They do not come in sizes so we are trying to make their job easier. Make military straps for helmets, you name it... It was one of the nice additions to the plant :D :lol3 There is a laser at the very end but eats only plexy and wood ... I may be able to make the Roadbook out of wood... :rofl Then you can use it to make fire in the event of an emergency :huh

godwinmt

Nice design, keep in mind that you need to leave one degree of freedom (or two :evil). The lights have to be adjustable and so does the tower in order to have some angle adjustment. It is a preference I guess but it makes things easier if anything fails.

Off topic but we have to add to the knowledge pool here :freaky
    There are indeed such programs Paul. You can choose which parameters the program can change (thickness, angle, number of ribs, thickness of ribs - for example ) and there is a technique called Design of Experiments. It was used for quality control in the old days but it can be applied whenever the combinations of the parameters is large enough. Basically the program chooses the combinations, runs the FEA and then comes up with the best design based on your parameters. These can be anything. Shape changes, holes, material, whatever... You know how parametric design works so given an Excel file you can do everything...
    Of course such FEA come with a price tag (Inventor has such a feature but the Multiphysics from Autodesk is far better). So what you can do is find a Design of Experiments software, let it decide the values for the parameters and run induvidual runs from yourself. Back in my PhD days Toyota used to do that to decide the best shape for the torsion bars for some of its cars, Mitsubishi (MSSC) used to optimise shot peening parameters for car suspension springs. I mean, you can go crazy with these things but my approach is to run a couple of simulations to see if there is anything foundamentaly wrong and then make it. Then test it in the real field ! :deal:eek1

Sorry for the long pasage... got a bit carried out there.... :D
  16. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Recent SW releases have been making advancements in that area too. Their Simulation package is able to optimize designs based on user-defined parameters, but it's not a magic bullet.
  17. jesusgatos

Oddometer:
    Yup, that's exactly what I was talking about. That concept can be executed a number of different ways though.
  18. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loving this fuse box, any leads on the brand/model?
  19. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. godwinmt

Oddometer:

Good call on the adjustability!...completely forgot about that drawing it up. The lights as it sits are adjustable with the 3 bolts/springs holding them on like most OEM's use. I'll work on it a bit tonight and break it up so there is some adjustment between the base w/lights and dash, or if i'm feeling ambitious break it up into another smaller section. More work on the front end and more bolted joints to fret (fret -> aluminum oxide ->loss of clamp load + fatigue cracks), but it should make a better product and help minimize the size of the raw material needed to get it going.