/5 first street bike in 20+ years

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by hadfield4wd, Jul 28, 2014.

1. hadfield4wd

hadfield4wd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always loved the old BMW's. I love projects. Everything I've done has been built. Anyway I've stumbled across a 75/5 LWB, full wixom bigs, panniers and trunk, all original. Needs a total rebuld. I haven't done much to it because I haven't bought it yet. I was helping a friend move 3 "old motorcycles" out of the barn they have been in since 1989.

There are 3 bikes in the deal. Anyway it's in my garage.

I have a good dual sport. I"ve ridden tons of bikes. CBR600's, GSA800's, 990 Superduke, ZRX1200.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on anything. I"m sure this will end up costing me more than it's worth while rebuilding.

This will be my "everything" bike. Ride to church and Canada. Week long trips to some less than an hour. Will I get tired of riding with my buddies? 990 Superduke and Ulysses?
  2. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the Asylum. We are the inmates. Now you are one too.

You got the R75/5 (what year?)? Did you get all three bikes? What were they? Are they going to be or already on the market?

Post pics.

A LWB should be a 1973 I think?

They grow on you. /5's seem to have a charm all their own.
  3. jellycow

jellycow out there without a clue, now on a '99 640 AVD

Oddometer:
    Only if you get tired of chasing them around like a sheppard's dog chasing a bunch of run away cows back to the coral. :evil

As long as getting from the line and top speed isn't the goal you will keep up fine; providing you keep in mind it's 40+ years old and the brakes aren't really up to today's par. I've outrun all kinds of modern bikes on twisties, bumpy roads, speedbumps and so on with my 40hp R60/6. As long as there was no room for them to open the throttle and taking off they'd have a hard time to keep in front of me or even keeping up. All this with historic plate and cases for added humiliation :D

I'd start out with getting it roadworthy (service engine, tires and all oils including drive shaft + front suspension) and then let it grow on you. There are always upgrades to be done but you might find it very capable as it is.
  4. hadfield4wd

Oddometer:
    Yes '73. All 3 are in my garage. I don't own them yet. Other 2 are Honda's. CX500 and CB400 Hondamatic. Not worth much, except my 15 year old has been looking up CX500 Cafe builds.:evil

The wife does not like a clutch so if she wanted to ride the hondamatic would be perfect.

Not on the market at this point and if I get my way they never will be.:freaky

Not posting any pics at this point until I have a deal. It's a toaster tank as well. It even has the stock airpump under the seat. Probably won't work but is cool anyway.

Yeah I'll still have a hooligan bike of some sort for fun. KX500 supermoto. Not worried about chasing them around.

All bikes will need a total rebuild. I expect every gasket to leak. All hydraulic brakes will get done. etc etc etc. I used to work at an auto restoration shop and am under no illusion I'll be able to gas and go.

Right now the CX500 motor is free. The 75/5 is not.
  5. Beezer Josh

Beezer Josh Moto-Amish No-Mo

Oddometer:
    They're great, reliable bikes with minimal maintenance for a vintage bike. I just rode my 1973 R75/5 on a 1,500 mile round trip to northern NY state and back a few weekends ago with nary a hiccup.
  6. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats a 75/5 is a fine all around use standard motorcycle. No it's not a rocket bike but plenty adequate and fun for the needs of us mere mortals. Get her up to good reliable mech condition and state of tune, keep it maintained and just enjoy the hell out of it. Only drawback to them is that even /5 new parts are getting stoopid expense.
  7. hadfield4wd

Oddometer:
    I know I can get a mid '90's BMW with bags for 2500-3500. Riders ready to go with around 60k.

The 75/5 I love. But the motor is seized and right now it's a question of economics. He wants too much for it. He thinks he has $9000 bike. Around here they go for $3000-$5000 running.

I could have $2500 in parts to fix this.

So the question is do I want a classic BMW?

I just don't know yet.
  8. SculptD

SculptD Shoveling.

Oddometer:
    For some models, and in some locations, prices on 70s airheads are getting out of hand. The owner of this is dreaming, but not entirely crazy. He's just ahead of his time, by maybe 10 years. Wait him out, and show him a cost estimate of what needs to go into the bike, and what a mint one really goes for. Still, if he thinks 9k, and you think 2k, that's a big gap!
  9. Thorazine

Thorazine Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer:
    Lanesplittin Valhalla--Southern California
    /5's are great bikes, period. But 9 grand for a seized /5 that's been sitting? :lol3 Not even close. We all know you'll be discovering other messes beyond the seized engine. Where are you? There are bound to be some local Airheads who can help you, and if you do buy it, they know the good and trustworthy wrenches and new and used parts suppliers. The Airheads have a strong grass-roots network just about anywhere.

Also go on Craigslist and find comparable bikes for sale to get a better idea, then share your research with the seller.

I have a '74 R90/6--not much different than a /5, and I love it! It's my daily commute on the mean Southern California freeways. I can out-lanesplit 90% of the other riders on 5 year-old bikes. It's the rider, not the bike. I won't win any drag races, but I'd win my share to Canada and back. :1drink

SculpD's right. Don't pull the trigger yet. Wait him out, but speed up the process with research. You may be dealing with someone for whom this bike has sentimental value which is hard to break. Good luck.
  10. hadfield4wd

Oddometer:
    I don't hink what I said was clear to you guys.

He thinks a restored perfect condition 75/5 is $9000.

I've printed down every c-list add for 200 miles for 75/5. The are going for $3000-$5000 in various running condition.

When we first talked about this bike a couple months ago he sadi he'd take $2,500.

I said at that price no. But since then it's been put in my garage and I've determined the motor is locked up.

I travel for work and I'm getting ready for a knee surgery so we haven't talked this week. He, at this point, doesn't know the motor condition. I probably won't talk to hem next week either.

So unless he calls me tonight I won't know what he is thinking.

I'm not trying to get an incredible deal on the bike, I just want a fair deal for both of us. It could easily cost me more than it's worth to get it running in parts. I do all my own work so there are no labor dollars that i figured in that. I just don't want to be upside down.
  11. flemsmith

flemsmith lurk

Oddometer:
    ...doing my own work (except paint and seats), just adding up the parts costs. I've never not been upside down by the time I was finished.

Just part of the cost of having fun wrenching. Helps if you do a bike you really want to keep.

roy
  12. Beezer Josh

Beezer Josh Moto-Amish No-Mo

Oddometer:
    +1 It's all about learning and having fun. It's a bonus when you have something useful and sexy looking afterwards!
  13. hadfield4wd

Oddometer:
    Oh I love projects. I'm the guy that buys the $150 "bike in a box" and puts them together. My latest was a 1989 rm125 I did with my son. Lots his ride and we did it together. Every nut and bolt.

Also got a honda rancher a couple years ago as a rolling chassis and the rest was spread out in no particular order in 6 Rubbermaid containers. Spent the first 2 days sorting all the hardware.

On a side not how rare is some of the stuff I have? The pump, Wixom bags, Wixom trunk, Wixom fairing. I've seen several bikes with the pannier but not many with the trunk. Also the original toolkit.
  14. pfestus1

pfestus1 Slash 5er

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't go over $1000. For $2500 it should be running and maybe a bit cosmetically challenged. When I restored my Currey Toaster, I had over $3000 just in having the engine and transmission gone thru. The engine got a new clutch, rings, and seals. The tranny got all new bearings and seals. This was by a reputable BMW mechanic. I was lucky to get about what I had in the /5 when I sold it.
    I have some books you can borrow, a BMW shop manual, and a Haynes manual. Since we live fairly close, I'll be happy to loan them. Might make good reading while you are recouperating.
  15. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    I'm with pfestus at $1K, and that's if the rust and whatnot isn't too bad.
  16. rheritage

rheritage Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No more than 1K with a locked engine. Value wise you're right on the money for runners, might be better off finding one of those, ride it while you fix up.

Good luck whichever way you decide.

Rich
  17. hadfield4wd

Oddometer:

That would be awesome. I think once I get over this initial hump of pain I'll be able to move around a bit. Maybe later this week if your cool with it.