MotoGP Austin, April 19-21, 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pacman1, Oct 3, 2012.

1. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    The vendors area was pretty small. I went to the Arai tent to look a helmets. I told them i currently have an X12 Shoei that fits well and wanted to know what Arai would compare to it in features and fit. Well the head guy there looked at me like I'd just told him I have a raging case of herpes and head lice that just won't quit. He wanted $35 to do a "fitting".

I'll stick with Shoei or maybe give Bell a try.
  2. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    Probably because they're all drinking that meth/piss they sell!
    I'm happy for all the sponsorship though, and I did try it once. :puke1
  3. KHVol

KHVol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep....my son got food poisoning at Laguna during our Father and Son trip...will not be back.. beautiful venue but not worth the problems.
  4. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)
    Lot G was only closed on Friday. You could park there on Sat/Sun. We did.

Really nice track, but not so good for spectating, but that is what you get for a safe track. You are really far from the track at pretty much all locations. It kinda sucked they kept you from the track part where they were doing over 200mph. They left that area to the big motorhome folks. Some stands or a way to get to the inside of the track at that point would be welcome.

I gotta say the motoGP bikes are more boring to watch than I expected. Nothing like they used to be. I've not paid any attention to motoGP for over 15 years. I guess the fancy electronics are to blame. Oh well. They sure do haul some ass.

It was fun, but not exciting to watch. They got to get rid of the electronic nannies IMO.
  5. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I, for one wonder if all the grumbling is because their state does not host a MotoGP like Texas now has. I loved the venue and there were some issues, but folks this is the FIRST time at this track, They will learn and rectify whatever perceived problems some folks have. Then again, you cannot please all the people all the time.

My cowboy hat off to COTA. A job well done.
  6. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21245222&postcount=57877
  7. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    I have been to a lot of tracks and I was impressed with everything. We camped across the street from the track, so no issues with traffic or parking so i cannot comment on that.
    But security was lax in terms of bag checks so no problem with food. Ate a little at the track, and it was reasonably priced. Walked the entire circuit different days and sessions and watched from turn one. Decent views a fair amount of the circuit.
    I have nothing to complain about other than flight issues and that is not COTAS's fault.
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Damn, I really tend to think people who have complaints aren't suffering from the childish insecurities that you suggest. I've not heard a chorus of complaints beyond what you hear about every race. Nothing is perfect. Wish I could have been there.
  9. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    You naysayers are fucking nuts. That was an awesome event. Beautiful track. Fantastic facilities, Friendly staff. Unobtrusive law enforcement. The entire operation kicked total ass.

Shocked by beer prices? Are you kidding? Ever been to a concert? Ever been to a ball game? Sorry you can't get shitfaced for $9 like you can in your mom's basement, but that's how it goes.

As a note, heading south on FM 812 as suggested in the thread, we were moving free of traffic 30 minutes after the race ended.
  10. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I went , had a blast, refused to overpay for drinks or food at the track , got by on my carried in water and some tomales from a vendor.
    As has been said the track is awesome and I rarely use the word. I expected some carnage at Turn One , it just looked like trouble to me, glad it didn't hang up the racers.
    I agree that not all was perfect , it never is.
    My buddy and I tend to see opportunities where others see problems.
    Such as almost none of the parking people had radios. We buzzed by the guy at the entrance to Tunnel 2 to get into the interior parking in the Honda lot where we parked all 3 days having never spent a dime on parking. We also availed ourselves of some fine seats in the Honda Grandstand for the Moto 2 and Moto GP races by the head-down and move with cover method. In fact for all 3 days I never had a ticket ripped or even asked to show.
    Don't try these methods yourself, results may vary.:lol3
  11. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    So did I. I saw only one rider go down on T1. The weight shift at the crest at full lean would have had me skeeered. I really got an appreciation for it when I went down to the grandstand area and saw the bikes flying up to T1. :huh
  12. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 Got food poisoning from the chopped beef sand and ruined the Sun at the track but the facility is truly world class. :clap COTA. Very cool seeing 10,000 bikes there too and people were all cool for the most part.
  13. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    Not a complaint but pretty funny was the discrepancy in pricing of food. I noticed three different trailers/trucks selling french fries all in a row and priced as follows $3, $10, $5. I did not buy any so no comment on portion, just found it funny and wonder if people saw that and if the $10 guy sold any.
    There were a pretty good amount of crashed in T1 over the weekend across the classes and practices, but I think T19 had the most from my unscientific memory.
  14. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:
    While walking near the turn 15 grandstands Duddles and I ran into our AHRMA racing buddy Keith and his son Jarred. They told us about a party Colin Edwards was having at the Geisha Bar on 6th.
    So when we left the track ,that was our destination , with a short stop on the way at the Austin Speed Shop.

[​IMG]

After a couple of miss-steps we found the Geisha Club and parked on the sidewalk out front. After a Margarita , still no Colin, then as we were about to take off, there he is. Alright ,I go up and say" A friend of mine said Colin Edwards was having a party here, do you know anything about that ?'
    Big grin and a hearty handshake. I told him we'd come down from Kentucky to watch the Americans represent.
    Then on Sunday dressed in our Free Kevin shirts we left the track and headed to the Gypsy Lounge on East 6th. for the Free Kevin Party.We went in , got a tall boy LoneStar and watched the end of the Rookies race with Kevin and crew. I got my shirt signed and shook the hand of a second World Champion in 2 days.

[​IMG]

Kevin chillin' at the Gypsy

Outside as we were about to leave Kevin came out and I had a chance to ask about the time he saved a sure wreck by hooking his foot over the tail section and pulling himself back on the bike.
    "Donington Park in the rain, I caught it with just the tip of my foot and got it pulled back under me ." So how did the race turn out ? "I went on to win that one. "
    Amazing personalities and talents.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tq2xzL0A-io#t=38s
    I had a great time in Austin.
  15. tat2

tat2 where's ya too?

Oddometer:
    Yep, we parked in G for Sat/Sun. The signage leaving Friday was clear. Fri morning was different. As I'm sure you know G was blocked off without any info or persons to explain. F had a couple of people who didn't know anything other than F was closed as well and to head towards the grandstand and make a uturn to access another lot. After doing that we were then sent back out the entrance we came in to go to lot M. When we got there they were shocked they were sending G as well. We didn't mind doing that but to know why would have made it less frustrating.

Everything else about the event was great (minus timing issues). I agree with Jim Moore above, any event regardless has prices like this for food and drink. To be shocked at this is like being shocked at the fact you need oxygen to live. I'm not saying they should be this high but they are.

I was super happy to have seen the small(ish) sign at the Motul booth advertising the Tech 3 team signing Saturday. I was about 6-7th in line to meet Bradley and Cal. Got a poster & hat signed.

We had a good time in Austin all around, from the bats on the Congress St. bridge, 6th street, the food. I hope we'll be able to go back for another race.
  16. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)
    FYI, G lot was closed due to mud from the rain the previous day. You probably learned that already.
  17. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a great time at COTA and in Austin. Everyone was welcoming and friendly at the track and elsewhere.
    The only thing I wish was that the Honda's weren't so dominant...Lorenzo said he found he could use 2nd gear in a lot of the tight corners in the Sunday warmup but they didn't have enough time to get the gearbox adjusted to stay with the Honda's in the tight sections.

Here's my first turn pic
    [​IMG]
  18. bk brkr baker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Looking down from the tower during Moto GP practice.
    [​IMG]

Veiw of the back straight.

[​IMG]

And 23 stories above Earth standing on glass.
  19. bimmerx2

bimmerx2 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    Although I was in Austin for the race, I rewatched the TiVo of it last night. Speed's usual suckage was somewhat abated I am happy to report. Screaming Johnny Green was his usual self but Greg Creamer was AWOL and his replacement was actually tollerablely competent.:clap