the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Just a thought... but ProCycle has the complete plastics kit for $359 WITH side panels. Why not order that in the color you want, then sell off the other pieces? Might make it cheaper. I dunno, it's a thought.

I'm going to order new plastic later this year when I get closer to stripping my bike down for a frame powdercoat and the 790 kit. I'm considering switching to black plastic (and a new black Acerbis tank) because the white IMS I have now is a total PITA to keep looking nice. Plus I'm considering painting the engine cases black like Jeff did on his 900 stroker kit. I can't wait to see pix of that back in the bike.

Rob
  2. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna need a bike to put it in.
  3. TinkerinWstuff

TinkerinWstuff Take it apart

Oddometer:
    Right on. It might sound like a lot of money but compared to the rest of two wheeled vehicles, it's a steal.
  4. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    You wanna put it in mine? I'm only an hour away. :)

Rob
  5. procycle

procycle ~Retired~

Oddometer:
    Black motor... purple frame... :puke1
    Looks like I need to buy another one. Looking for a good deal (just like many others!).
  6. bluegroove

bluegroove Motorcycle junkie

Oddometer:
    I've used automotive fuel filters on bikes in the past. Just got to the autoparts store and look for one with the right angle in and outs. And the right diameter for the hose. You can get a MUCH bigger, free flowing filter this way for just a few bucks. I've done this on many bikes in the past with good results.
  7. spotlight

spotlight Noob

Oddometer:
    So then your saying check the chain slack with the bike loaded?:eek1 And I have owned mostly dirt bikes had an XT-250 before this bike....
  8. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My older carb'd Ducati OEM fuel filter is getting hard to find and not cheap. Turns out that its really just a Denso filter also used on older Mitsubishi 4 cylinder cars (aka Dodge Colt in the US). My local NAPA store had one on the shelf for just a few bucks .... a real Made in Japan OEM part, not even a store-brand clone.

-dman
  9. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I payed about 40 bucks shipped for each of my xrl sidecovers with a forum member discount from another forum. Even without the discount they weren't much more. I wonder why suzuki charges so much for the DR parts?....prolly the same reason they charge so much for the busa parts.....because its a suzuki :evil........I'm very careful with my busa :wink:
    My Kawi's always seemed fairly cheap considering as well.....
  10. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your chain is properly adjusted, it will be on the same adjustment notch; loaded or unloaded. Mid-travel is where the chain is tightest and is where I make sure there is some slack (lying across the seat). It won't be the 1-1/2"(?) stated in the manual, when loaded.

More clear?

Ok, I was just trying to keep a new rider from over tightening his chain, this wouldn't be you. :freaky
  11. Spirtwolf15x

Spirtwolf15x n00b

Oddometer:
    110km now, running good just a question, as this is my first DR650 and my first "new" bike ever, I can hear my timing chain, it's not "loud", in fact I only hear it if I try to listen to it. I'm wondering what "normal" engine noise is for a DR.

Thanks.[​IMG]
  12. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider

Oddometer:
  13. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Probably one of the easiest fixes in the interwebs. You need to wear earplugs when you ride. :D
  14. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    The chain will be tightest when the three pivots line up in a straight line

The countershaft, the swingarm shaft and the rear axle. If you can compress your suspension to that point and verify there is still a bit of slack you'll know you have it right. Then release the suspension and see what it needs to be when the suspension is unloaded and make a mental note or take measurements

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td class="testonero" colspan="2" align="left" background="../images/topbox_600.gif" height="23" valign="top">
    </td></tr></tbody></table> <table class="tabnero2giallo" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td class="testo" align="left" valign="top"> 1 First of all, the chain must be placed at its maximum tension condition. This condition will occur whenever the engine and wheel sprockets are at the maximum distance from each other.

To obtain this, it is generally necessary to load the back wheel (for example placing a person on the motorcycle) until the centers of the engine sprocket, the swingarm pivot and the rear wheel axle have been positioned on the same axis. The swinging arm will be parallel to the ground.

http://www.reginachain.it/eng/use_and_maintenance/how_to05.shtml
    </td><td align="right" valign="top" width="333">[​IMG]</td></tr></tbody></table>
  15. doug s.

doug s. Long timer

Oddometer:
    i emailed acerbis about side panels for the dr650:

hi!

when are you going to carry plastics for the dr650? you could sell a lot. especially side panels! ;~) suzuki has made the same model since 1996 - you would only need one set of molds... :>)

thanks,

doug s.

here's the answer i got:

Hello,

We do not get requests for plastics for that bike. We would have to have about 1500 request in order to start the project on making plastics for that bike. I can mention it to the higher ups but you are the only request I have had for a while sorry.

Thanks,
    Brian

doug s.
  16. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve!
  17. Spirtwolf15x

Spirtwolf15x n00b

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm just being paranoid, first break in and all. I want my bike to last and run well while it does.
  18. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    The DR is definitely one of the noisier bikes I've ridden. Once you get used to it, it's all just part of the fun.
  19. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could add this to the DR650 index, it comes up regularly. :nod
  20. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing most DR owners just aren't very hard on the bikes and don't tear up the plastic. Thank God for duct tape. :lol3