We Want to Ride The Rock Again -- This Time Mo' Betta!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canuman, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Reserve early to avoid potential disappointment. Spaces are limited. :deal

2. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in for this one, but not sure I can spend more than five days on the rock. Would love to do some higher ground hiking and maybe visit Burgeo and a remote outport somewhere.
  3. grind

grind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd go back in a heart beat as well but i can't do those dates unfortunately (fricken work) :cry:cry
    have a great time!
  4. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I'm assuming this is a late August trip. I'll say I'm tentatively in. (All based on Kids rep sports and work scheduling) I have been aching to get back to the rock.
    I'll be riding my F800GS and I know how to use it:evil
    Dirt should not be a problem as I have had lots of experience plus some motocross race time.
  5. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    In for at least half the allotted time if not all. I'll know better closer to booking and launch time next year and will cut off some rides this fall to start shifting funds over. I'll wring, I mean bring the WRX as it is comfy enough slabbing or single tracking. A hike in the mix sounds good too Tom.
  6. Canuman

Oddometer:
    OK, this is coming together nicely. If anyone has the skills and testicular fortitude to ride something above 650 CCs, I won't balk at it. I know there are some Hell-for-leather big bikers out there n ADV. Welocme G-Mac.

For myself, I found the 400 just fine. I wouldn't expect the smaller bikes to keep up with the big ones on the inevitable slab sections. My DRZ is getting wrung out around 60 mph/100 kph. I would expect everyone to have their own navigational equipment and know how to use it. This would allow us to break into smaller groups according to riding style and ability, and meet at either lunch or the end of the day.

If Jackpiner57 wants to be a SLACKER :fpalm and just do five days, I suggest that we plan on staying at the Norris Point Hostel either the second or third night. This would give the opportunity to hike Gros Morne, probably catch the section of the Gaff Topsails that we rode in 2013, and do some exploring around Red Indian Lake. I'd suggest the south-eastern side, which we didn't do, as I hear the riding is a bit more interesting down that way.

I'll put together a full package of GPS tracks, as there are some very interesting spur routes that we didn't hit.

If anyone wants to combine all or part of the ride with a Trans-Lab, the Norris Point Hostel would also be a good place to join the group. It's a fairly easy day down from St. Barbe, so long as it isn't raining or blowing too hard. That way, people could attend to showers and laundry, and get a good night's sleep and reorganize a bit.
  7. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll wait up for ya... still got a good 20 plus all day on top of that when needed. :ricky :D

Sounds good. GPS and skill set have proved good so far this season. Also, I'm a morning person and like to eat, break camp and get on the trail to take in the early morning light and so forth... mixing it up is good too.
  8. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought you were heading further east? I'm hoping to get to the Burin Peninsula, I want to see where the Truxton and Pollux went aground.

Sent via aldis lamp on Tapatalk
  9. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, Steph, we're Eastering.

Rich, I can't say we were there.
  11. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stunning scenery Rich! I might have to visit there.

At 56, I'm proud to have finally achieved SLACKER status!:D If I can do a few more days, I will but don't tell anybody. I won't be demoted.
  12. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool, that'd be great.
  14. Canuman

Oddometer:
    There's such a lack of scenery to Newfoundland, I can hardly see why you'd bother! :evil:evil:evil

Hey, if anyone has the coordinates for the new bridge on the Southwest Gander River, I'd really appreciate them. I know some folks have been there visiting the Sabena Airlines crash site (on our route), but RTR is having technical difficulties right now. I'm pretty sure I've got it located correctly on the map.
  15. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind I'll follow this thread but I'm really not sure what next year will bring. I'm registered for the Alcan 5000 but I'm pretty sure I won't make that trip. I just moved to Montreal from Ottawa and still getting business built up.

It'll just be a wait and see for a while but if the West is out a trip back to The Rock is next on the list.

I did the T-Lab with Deadly 99 a couple of years ago and he had mechanical issues and headed back once we hit Ste. Barbe from Blanc Sablon. I was having fuel pump problems with my Super Enduro but did manage to do a pretty good road tour to most corners once I got it sorted. The only off road I did was from Grates Cove through Daniels Cove and down to Old Perlican.

The rain didn't let up much for the whole trip and I had a good case of diaper rash :eek1 But the party at the George Street Festival eased the pain :wink:
  16. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Sure, no worries. I'm going to shut the roster down at some point, because there's a line between a fun-sized group and just too many.

Has anyone ridden the Bonavista Branch line this summer? The last report I saw was from just after Igor, so it's several years old.
  17. guymanbro

guymanbro da Vermonster

Oddometer:
    Put me on the roster before you shut it down. I am my own fun-sized group. . .
  18. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Jeex, I always thought you were TOO MUCH, sailor. You're in.

19. Canuman

Oddometer:
    In the tradition of giving a musical theme to these rides, here's some classic Ska:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KDJFEJsHhrs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I've been told that just plotting a trip isn't enough any more. A trip should be done for a noble cause, preferably with fund-raising and grants. OK, I'm as socially aware as the next fellow. I'm signing on to the following cause:

[​IMG]

Who's with me?