Crossing The Divide - A Father and Son Ride the World

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Crossing the Divide, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Crossing the Divide

Crossing the Divide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    -Waterton National Park Canada

Crossing the Divide is a story of the relationship between a father and a son. Seizing the present and distancing themselves from the distractions of their day-to-day life, Bruce Harvey and Kiel Harvey pack their tents, load their adventure motorcycles and set out on a long postponed journey together.

Exploring the dirt roads and foreign landscapes of our neighboring countries, they hope to explore the elements of age and purpose, find new perspectives and cope with the sometimes physical and emotional struggles that accompany adventure travels.

Crossing the Divide is about the journey they take to rediscover their ambitions, as well as the destinations that get them there.
  2. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damm... I think I have a new desktop..
  3. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice 1st post!

Looking forward to the RR...

:ricky :ricky
  4. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whoa! :eek1
  5. Crossing the Divide

Oddometer:
    The stories pertaining to this blog are mainly from my point of view, that being from the back of Kiel's bike. I jumped on for this trip because it really is a chance of a lifetime. A chance to see what our neighbours see and where they come from. A chance to do another adventure via bike, and this time, do most of it dirt and gravel to explore what the middle of nowhere feels like.

Before taking off, the three of us committed to an indefinite amount of road and travel time. Sold most of what we owned, this includes Bruce selling his house of over twenty years. Wouldn't say we put life on hold, but took a step to a new chapter of living.

The first leg of this trip we planned was (and still is) to ride the Continental Divide to Mexico using backcountry dirt roads. If unpleasant weather persists, we are ok with having to take a few alternate routes although we prefer to camp and avoid highways.

Due to a lot of flood damage we have already encountered throughout our Canadian path, we have had to resort to plan B, more highways. Almost 90% of the Canadian dirt tracks through the mountains we wanted to follow had been washed out or closed, causing some backtracking, alternate route planning, and time. A lot of time is spent filming, when most of the trail is proving to be shot worthy.

Not getting discouraged is the challenge. When you get through the rain, the sun comes out. When we left our beloved country, we entered Montana. And Montana offered us a new world of backcountry beauty. And fly fishing.

More time spent filming the awe inspiring Montana countryside added up and left us racing the sun to set up camp and a bland meal of foraged breakfast goods.

Few tablespoons of Chia seeds, Leftover almond milk, Handful or two of Buckwheat groats, Some dried cranberries and Goji berries, Throw in a spoonful or two of Peanut butter for flavour, equals an improvised dinner in the dark, but doesn't win any awards. Add some hot tea and whiskey to warm the gut and you got a meal good enough to sleep through a chilly mountain night. Never travel without a nut butter.

Frost clinging to surrounding branches and dusting the bikes early in the morning reminded us that fall is here and winter really is near. And have been told it is already snowing in Colorado.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonderful Pics!
  7. Asatrur

Asatrur KLR adv rider

Oddometer:
    I love this pic
    [​IMG]
  8. Longbow

Longbow Vroooom

Oddometer:
    Subscribed ! Love the pictures! :lurk:ricky
  9. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pics.
  10. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics!! :thumb
  11. Crossing the Divide

Oddometer:
    Headed into the bush! I'll update the Ride Report when we emerge dirty, wet, stinky, cold and with ear to ear smiles in a week or so! Hopefully some great big photos of the trout we catch to come!
  12. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!!

Have fun, stay warm!
  13. Crossing the Divide

Oddometer:
    Thought it was probably time to weigh in with some experiences from the other bike on the trip. Doing a long distance adventure ride with my son has always been high on my bucket list. And maybe doing three or four would certainly be a dream. So with 60 approaching quickly, and my 1200 GS somehow getting heavier each year, it was starting to feel like fish or cut bait time. In order to prepare for what we agreed would be an open-ended trip, I purchased a great yoga book and a couple of stretching books as well. While they proved to be great reading, I can’t say I got very far in either program (portions of both are currently serving as insulation in my panniers). So with my weight at the highest it’s been in my life and the flexibility of your average 85 year old, I made the commitment to the trip.

In most of the photos you’ll see me standing up on the pegs. I’d like to say it’s because I know getting your weight low on the pegs gives you more control of the bike, but the truth is my hips ache too much when I’m sitting.

But that’s the outside me. The inside me is still 18 years old with that first bike under me, and the open road a-calling. So I’ll take the odd Advil, and get Kiel to help me get the bike out of any tight spots and follow my dream. The world is an amazing place filled with an overwhelming number of friendly faces. Time to say hello to a few.

[​IMG]
    Last minute prep: waiting in line for New Off-road Tires! Can't wait to hit the road!

[​IMG]
    Reflecting on a beautiful morning!

[​IMG]
    Finally breaking through the chilly mountain rain! Big thanks to Rev'it for keeping us warm and dry!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Crossing the Divide

Oddometer:
    The love of riding motorcycles is no doubt from the idea that you are really in the element. Experiencing the area that surrounds you. Wildlife becomes easier to spot, you somehow feel closer to nature.

The smell of pine in the mountains, the fresh scent of fall, the cool breeze on your face, the warmth of the sun, the downpour of rain as it slides off the tail of your jacket, humidity fogging up your face mask, leaning almost parallel to the road as you attempt to fight monsoon wind gusts, the stoning of hail as it bounces off your helmet, climbing altitudes with snow as it slicks and slushes the gravel, cold fingers and toes that refuse to warm, and then turning around to do it again as the road becomes impassible.

As we packed our bags and loaded the bikes upon our departure, the warm, early fall sun warmed our backs and encouraged us a nice spring. Early winter snow hit Montana at early altitudes. Rain showered us daily. Wind gusts successfully blew a park bench seamlessly across a two lane highway; however, failed to tip the bikes or blow down our Big Agnes fortresses mid-night.

Snow is an evil we are constantly fighting this leg. Struggling with ominous weather forecasts and careful trip planning, we are heading into Utah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Crossing the Divide

Oddometer:
    The other day Ashley, the good-looking one of our team, broke the news to me that we would be having Curry for dinner. Anyone who knows me well knows that I have a greater fear of Curry than I do of bears in the wild. Having Ashley along on the ride has meant the healthiest diet I have ever eaten. (On my last long distance trip, eating healthy meant having a bottle of wine for dinner each day so I could count the grape content as a fruit or vegetable serving). But this is Curry we are talking about. My East Indian and UK friends have often tried to convert me to a Curry eater without success and I was certain that Ashley’s attempt would end just as unsuccessfully. Not wanting to bite the hand that feeds me, I agreed to give it a try. Who knew there are more than one type of Curry! Turns out that Thai Green Curry is nothing at all like East Indian Curry and I love it! Another incredible meal in the backcountry of America.

[​IMG]

Keeping the Curry safe in the awesome Hepco & Becker Bear Bins / Panniers

[​IMG]

Tons of wildlife. Moose, elk, sheep, and heaps of deer.

[​IMG]

Finding some new trails off the great divide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Crossing the Divide

Oddometer:
    A full bladder is a campers alarm. The first moments can be fought. The warmth and coziness of a sleeping bag always wins the first battle, but eventually, the bladder wins the war.

The sound of the tent zipper magnified by the stillness of the crisp fall morning. Anticipation builds as the first cup of coffee is brewed. The smell of banana and cinnamon fills the morning as the oatmeal starts to simmer. The sun begins to warm the air.

The bikes are loaded, the riders are eager. Utah's fall has delivered worlds of new beauty and excitement.

Climbing high altitudes no longer brings fear of impassible trails and freezing limbs, but a number of expansive vistas and winding trails of dense Evergreens, Cottonwoods and Aspens. High alpine meadows and 9000 feet ridge roads overlooking landscapes full of vibrant oranges, reds, and yellows.

A visible moon in the sunlights shadow, a sign to pull over for the night. In the last hour of sunlight the tents are pitched, and the fire is crackling. Stew is on, and riding boots come off. Stargazing to the sound of surrounding coyotes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. tennesseejoe

tennesseejoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    amazing pics, im jealous :lurk
  18. Crossing the Divide

Oddometer:
    With new terrain, climate and altitudes, brings new obstacles to overcome. Mud is the new nemesis.

Alas, the sun comes out, snow melts and dirt is awakened to mud. And the mud worth mentioning, is the thick, greasy mud that tends to hide deep, set-in-it's-way ruts.

Ascending and descending already technical routes in addition to tire knobs filling with grease and machines bogging down to the frame, makes for a challenging day, or two.

While rider can stand and toss the GS as necessary, feeling the power and control the front tire has, the backseat rider can only feel what is under her ass: the back tire sliding sideways in the muck.

A nearly 500lb R1200 loaded with additional weight in camping equipment, camera gear and tools, gets ambushed easily by this morass, and two days of repetitive riding can become tiresome. One slip, and an ankle becomes twisted, trapped and hurt under said weight.

As the trail continues on, we descent into dust. Mud starts to disappear. Fiery oranges, reds and yellow leaves surround us as the tents are set up and home for the night materializes. Jumbalaya on the cookstove, tea in our cups, and tensions start to subside. Tomorrow is always a new day, and a new challenge always lays ahead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Crossing the Divide

Oddometer:
    2012 may have come and gone, but let's not drop our guards yet. 2012 was simply a prediction the world would end, not the rise of say the Living Dead, The Zombie Apocalypse as is widely known.

We cannot 100% say World War Z cannot happen. Laughter, judgement and ridicule tends to be the first reaction, and as silly as it may sound, with as much warning as we have had, we'd all feel pretty dumb should we be caught off guard.

Rule number 1- use your head, prepare, and do some research.

A big thank you to the fine folks at the North Springs Shooting Range in Price, Utah for teaching us a few things about hunting zombies. A good head knocker or sword is always a solid choice for keeping things quiet, but an M16 is a better choice when going up against an army of Zaks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. WimDH

WimDH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want more of this;-)

Let me know when you (if it's in the master plan) come to Belgium.
    I heard we have some good beers over here :freaky