dont hate me for another tire thread

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Mr_Snips, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Mr_Snips

Mr_Snips Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer:
    I tried searching and probably just suck at it...

Anyways...i'm in the market for some new tires. i ride 90% road and about 10% fire roads and relatively easy off road (broke my back in September so surgeons still say no real off roading).

I really like the look for the Michelin Anakee 3 but no 18in rear.

What else is out there that will last and be nice and grippy.
  2. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    If you don't like mix/match:
    stock tires- pirelli scorp MT90. The back tire is a great street tire, IMHO, but it doesn't last as long as I wish it did.
    Conti trail attack: good life, great dry grip, I don't like them in the rain as much as the scorps or the pilot road 3 (see below). Very round profile, really easy turn in (for me, it's too easy and not enough feedback)

For mixing and matching:
    I've been running the pilot road 3 in a 160/70/18 on the rear for street duty. I think it grips better and lasts longer than any other option I've tried. And I'd have no hesitation taking it on fire roads and such, it's just as good as the trail attack.
  3. Mr_Snips

Oddometer:
    What are you running in the front then? i really dislike the mt90 up front...i've had terrible head shake with it.
  4. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    Well, I relaced a front to run a 19" tire for street, and I have another set for dirt. So I'm running a PR3 on front too. I think the anakee would be a good front though. I ran the trail attacks on 18/21 and then on 18/19, both times I felt like they were a pretty good tire, just not for me- they'd fall into turns too fast, and I spun up the rear a lot when riding in the rain. Sorry to hear of the headshake with the scorps, I've run quite a few sets and haven't had any problems, seems like some bikes are more prone to it than others.
  5. Mr_Snips

Oddometer:
    Hey i'm thinking about the michelin anakee 3 front and the pilot road 3 in the rear.
  6. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    I think they'd be good tires, and you very well might get 7-8k miles out of the set. If you try them, let us know how they work, i couldn't find any other data points for the wider 18" tire used on this rim, but it seems to work fine for me.
  7. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    you can find "nice and grippy" that will fit the rear, however the 21" hoop up front will limit the available options.
  8. Strokizator

Strokizator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not the Continental Trail Attack? I put on a set before a 5000 mile road trip that was mostly pavement but some fast dirt road and they worked great. From the pictures I've seen, it looks like it's the tire that comes stock on the new 1190 Adv R.
  9. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I have the Continental Trail Attack on my KTM 990 Adv and it works quite well for mostly street duty with occasional trips on dirt roads. Looking at the tread, I have a hard time understanding how the word "Trail" applies, but it works okay on dirt roads. I want to get something more dirt oriented for this bike, but the tires don't seem to wear out and I hate to toss them before they're used up. Definitely a long lasting tire.

I have IRC GP-110 tires on my XR650L and am very happy with the grip on the street from those, as long as the tire pressure is up over 30 psi. They work quite a bit better on dirt roads than the Conti tires. They're not as good in dirt as TKC-80's which I also use on that bike. I know that the IRC tires wear out faster than the Trail Attacks, but not fast enough that I'm concerned with wear. I plan to try the Shinko 705 next on the XR. Who knows, they might be good on the KTM too.
  10. Mr_Snips

Oddometer:
    I did order the michelin anakee 3 in a 90/90/21 for the front and for the rear i ended up with the michelin pilot road 3 in 160/60/18. I'll have them mounted monday night i hope.
  11. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great choice I think.
    The conti's are great tyres, but you are right; not brilliant in the wet. I absolutely love the PR3 for a long lasting super tyre, with a wet road party trick most people just would not believe. My fav wet tyre.

Will be interested to hear how you get on! Especially with that front as a combo.
  12. Capt.saveaho

Capt.saveaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd mess with the suspension, I have the mt90's and I ride the shit out of that tire, riding past the tread sometimes and I never get head shake. The rear moves more then the front for me. Even on shitty roads I don't have a problem with them. For 90/10 I don't think you'll find a better tire IMO. Add more rebound and see how it feels. The conti's are better but suck in the dirt, the mt90's aren't really good either but I was riding black diamond single track when I made that decision.

I have to say for a bike with over 10 inches of travel it handles exception on the street. Super predictable and super forgiving (Maybe to forgiving). I'm probably sayin this becuase I had a great street ride yesterday, and I've been on some well setup track bikes. Yep I like my 990.
  13. Mr_Snips

Oddometer:
    Ive played with the suspension left right up and down. cant get rid of it. I have the suspension dialed so that the bike handles like a dream.
  14. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm currently liking the Trail Attack on my road wheels. I think the last set did 15k miles too, which aint half bad!
  15. Mr_Snips

Oddometer:
    Anyone got suggestions of hot and cold tire pressures?
  16. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    Now you're going to make me get slammed for running a weird size rear tire and running lower tire pressures than everybody here recommends- I run 32 or 33 front (cold) 34-35 rear. I don't find that the tires get too hot at those pressures, and the hot psi will rise up maybe 3 psi, about right in my book.

I am running these tubeless, so if I were you, I'd try it, but check temps/pressures. People talk about tubed tires heating up a lot- in my experience, braking and very hard cornering heat a tire up, but riding along at 75 mph on the freeway won't get it very hot if you're running decent tire pressures. YMMV, I'm pretty light.

For comparison, on a dual sport ride I'll often keep my tires at around 24 psi all day street and dirt. No problems with that yet.
  17. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    I am very soon to be a new owner....pick the bike up on Monday evening. Fortunately, the bike comes with some good tires, which should have at least 3k miles on them. But, I am already thinking about the next set of sneakers.

I am coming to my 950ADV-S....from a Suzuki VStrom. If you have followed any of my ride reports or my BLOG, you will see that I have taken that Strom, where it wasn't designed to go. In the last two years, I have burned through two sets of Shinko 705's. When that tire is dropped to 20-25 psi, it is incredibly effective off-road. And....I am getting between 5-6k on the 705's on the Strom.

I am temped to give them a try on the 950.....and I just learned that the 705 is available in the 150/70-18 size.

By the way, I don't need the 950 for a dirt bike. When riding conditions call for it....I will be running single track or 'mountain goating' on my XR650R. I am wondering how the 705 will do on the 950 as a dual-sport tire.

Check this out.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good price, I have the Shinko's as my street XR tires. Not sure how they would hold up on the 990 at 90 MPH.
  19. Mr_Snips

Oddometer:
    Little ride report...tires are awesome...the anakee 3 does way better than i expected in the desert...its not a knobey tire but for what it is it is outstanding. The pilot road 3 also does worlds better than i expected for a 100 percent street tire.

on road is unbelievable...the front brakes arent able to handle the grip provided and even with good fluid i'm able to get them to fade in the twisties as well as get a knee down. i love this combo and for anything short of knobbies i'll stick with them for a long time.
  20. slackmeyer

Oddometer:
    Sweeeeeeet. Glad to hear it's working for you, I'm going to try that anakee if I need a street 21" tire or if I want a bit more gravel worthiness for my 19" front.