Looking For Some "Hidden Treasures" & Route Advice in N.C. & TN.

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Burbs, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Burbs

Burbs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm starting the beginning stages of planning our trip from Massachusetts to The Dragon and wanted to get some ideas of places to see on the way down through N.C.? We will be riding the BRP all the way down, but I'm thinking that after we hit The Dragon, we may work our way back through N.C. I was wondering if they're any great sites you recommend? I'm looking for anything from historical, to off the beaten path, to local towns, anything that's different than the typical tourist traps.

I'm also looking for some route advice near the Knoxville area and also heading back east through N.C. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
  2. eyedragaknee

eyedragaknee McGuyver

Oddometer:
    You are heading to the biggest 2 wheel tourist traps in the country. We NEVER even think about going there anymore.

That is the mecca for out of towners. Kind of like Virginia Beach.

Depends on what you are riding and what you are looking for.

PM me if you want.
  3. Burbs

Burbs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I realize that, but it's one of those things on my list that I have on my list of places to ride. :deal

I'd rather see more of the "outskirts" and drive through small towns and see things that the average tourist wouldn't see. Just a nice little ride through "anytown USA" I suppose!!! :D
  4. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm good at keeping secrets so another Dragon doesn't happen.
    Before you go, check to make sure it's even open. Seems like I heard it was closed for repairs?
  5. ronb

ronb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After you subject yourself to the circus at Deal's Gap, you can go North up through Morristown and take Hwy 25E up to Middlesboro KY. You can also make side trips up Hwy 31 N out of Mooresburg, Hwy 66 S, then back up 70 N out of Rogersville.

If you continue SW from the store at DG, pick up Hwy 165 out of Robbinsville toward Tellico Plains. Check with locals for snow before heading toward Tellico.
  6. Burbs

Burbs Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Kentucky is something I was considering as well too. I've been there before and it's a gorgeous state.
  7. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    I have been to the Dragon more than 100 times. When I first started going, it wasn't so crowded, and I wanted to race through like I was Kenny Roberts. After I got over that, I started going to see the people and the bikes. It is the best show on the East Coast.

[​IMG]

I took a group of new riders through there last year. We went in the middle of the week, in the middle of the morning. We had a great time. It is a lot more fun to ride when it isn't crowded. My wife made her first run at age 57.

[​IMG]

Be sure and ride the Cherohala Skyway while you are in the area.

[​IMG]

Other attractions - Lionel Train Museum in Bryson City, NC, Fontana Dam on US 28 near the Dragon, Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC, Bald River Falls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Burbs

Burbs Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Cherohola & Wheels Through Time on definitely on the list. I've been going through Roadsideamerica.com and found some cool things to see as well.
  9. ihatefalling

ihatefalling Let it roll

Oddometer:
    Stop by Linville Falls in NC. It's a nice waterfall with a couple of overlook areas. What kind of bike are you on? There are some super cool views Old NC HWY 105 that runs south from the falls......but I WOULD NOT run it on a big bike with street tires. Gravel/rock road. If you're comfortable with "forestry service" roads you could criuse over to "Table Rock" too..
  10. Burbs

Burbs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding a Kawasaki Concours.
  11. ihatefalling

ihatefalling Let it roll

Oddometer:
    You'll be just fine checking out the falls but I wouldn't go past the parking lot. Too steep and rough for a concourse. Make sure you check out both the overlooks. And of course, if you've never done the dragon you need too. There are a ton of great roads over there. Just grab a map and go. I ride mainly DS so I don't know many of the great paved twisties....sorry.
  12. Burbs

Burbs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I don't think the Concours would enjoy it, especially fully loaded with gear. :eek1
  13. iyaoyas98

iyaoyas98 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride 28 as far south as you can. It just keeps getting better.

Plan for a day at the gap. It's awesome fun, if you aren't a hermit.

:hide
  14. 568V8

568V8 Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer:
    Ride hwy #412 ... search up 421thesnake.com
  15. 568V8

568V8 Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer:
    oops that's hwy 421
  16. DragonNester

DragonNester Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Highlands is my favorite mountain town in NC. It's everything Gatlinburg, TN would like to be...IMO. There are fun roads in the area, some of which will get you to The Dragon and The Cherohala Skyway.
  17. Wheedle

Wheedle I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer:
    Its hard to throw a dart at a map of Eastern TN and Western NC and not hit a good road... :deal
  18. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or north-east GA...
  19. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Motorcycle Enthusiasts

Oddometer:
  20. Django

Django Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wayah road from the Natahala Gorge back to Franklin to 28 down to Mountain Rest SC is some some of my favorite riding in Western NC. When you get to Mountain Rest, turn around and go back up 28 all the way back up to the Robbinsville. Awesome road!

NC 261 to TN 143 over Roan Mtn should also no be missed, since you're in the area.