Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    To unpack the bags all you need to do is open the roll top and pull your stuff out. To make it a bit easier to get your stuff out... and the best way to reload the bags... is to loosen the strap that goes over the seat (one cam buckle), loosen the two cinch straps (one strap adjuster for each cinch strap) and release the three side release buckles (one on each end of the roll top and one strap over the roll top). The bags can absolutely stay on the bike. If you did decide to remove the bags they would come off the bike (and go back on) in less time than the Coyote IMO.

The bags have the same liner that is found in all of the US bags.

I think that if the bags were on the bike empty they would cinch up ok... but you would have a lot of extra strap to stow. They are not really designed to empty though and they go on and come off so easily there is no reason to leave them on empty.
  2. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Traveltoad...............I ordered a Kriega catalog today..........once I have that it looks like I'm going to make a long list of bags to order.

Cheers
  3. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    A couple more photos from Whynowthen's camera... just 'cause...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    Not at all mate! In fact I should probably put you on commission! :rofl

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and photos.

Michael
  5. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Catalog went in the mail yesterday and is winging its way towards you, fella.

traveltoad seems to be doing an admirable job of fielding your queries about the Overlander 30 :clap, but feel free to post up any further ones you may have once you've had chance to peruse our compact little tome!

Thanks for considering Kriega.

Michael
  6. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    My pleasure, chief! Let me know if I can be of any further assistance once your shiny new rack arrive. :D

All the best,

Michael
  7. Badger

Badger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Love the Tool Roll!!!
    Since I was close, I drove down to New Orleans to meet the crew. Gotta say that they will go all out for you. :clap
    Looked at the bags. I'll be getting some as soon as I can. Extremely well made gear!!
  8. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hi Badger,

I have a feeling you may have actually met the crew from The Transportation Revolution! They're our local dealership, great people, good friends of mine and excellent ambassadors for Kriega.

Shame I didn't know you were around - I'm always up for buying Inmates a beer in the French Quarter . :beer Mind you, I'm sure the chaps at TTRNO did you proud. Regardless, let me know if I can be of any further assistance ahead of your next visit to New Orleans.

Cheers,

Michael
  9. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Man I love that tool roll.
  10. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you certainly got plenty of use out of yours, Jason (I just finished reading your brilliant RR / Diary of an Airhead Abroad from the Australasian Safari)!

Honest, funny, inspiring, entertaining and very well written. Definitely worthy of publication.

Bravo! :clap
  11. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    :bow

Thats really nice of you, Mike. Thanks a lot. :freaky
  12. Badger

Badger Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Where can I read it?? Couldn't find it :ear (link??)
  13. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Think Stagey is still workin on it. he sent it to me as a Word doc, but I'm sure as soon as he feels it's fit for human consumption, Inmates will be the first to know. In the meantime, I believe there are edited highlights over in the Airheads thread though...

M
  14. jayfredweb

jayfredweb n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome thread! Aside from the last 3 or 4 pages of people requesting to be entered into the contest (you can enter me too!), I have enjoyed reading through this entire thread. Bc_seattle ‘s stolen review was great and had the best photos yet (Page 13, post #185).

I’m still in the break-in phase of my new R1200GS. I am intrigued by the Overland 60 Adventure system. From the photos I’ve seen, I can kind of figure out how the 15L pannier bags attach to the Adventure Platforms. Although I haven’t seen a good close-up of how the platforms attach to the racks.

How secure are the platforms attached to the racks? Is there a proven method to secure (lock) the platforms to the rack? Just to keep the honest honest. I’m thinking more about the times I’m not using the bags at all, but perhaps still have a RotoPax of water and fuel attached, with their own lockable hardware.
  15. Hareball950

Hareball950 n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a recommendation for the exact mounting points of the overlander 30 on a KTM XC-W 500 2012? I just received my kit and am looking to see if anyone has already gone through the process.
    Thanks
  16. amanlikemike

Oddometer:

Hi Jay,

Glad you liked most of the thread (consider yourself entered for the draw too! :D)

To answer your questions about the Overlander 60:

[​IMG]The platforms attach super-securely to the racks via the cam lever mounts. However, the Overlander 60 was designed as a hardcore, off-road, wild camping type system, where weight-saving and the ability to quickly and easily remove and reattach the panniers, along with reduced chances of damaging the bike (in the event of an off) and rider (also in the event of an off, or when paddling / pushing through or over an obstacle) prove more important than security.
    That's the trade-off for not having to haul massive 'tins' through the wilderness.

That said, it is simple to unclip and remove the entire platform, complete with bags or RotopaX, from the rack, to keep it safe at prolonged stops etc. And I am sure some kind of cable lock could be used to secure them against the entire units being stolen.

We have a few photos of the Overlander 60 mounted to Touratech racks on a GSA here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=458642920846385&l=561da0193c. Hopefully, they will help clarify how the platforms attach, but let me know if you'd like any more detail.

Cheers,

Michael
  17. Bayoudude

Bayoudude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for my rack to come in for my first DS bike. When it does, I'll have to make the short trip to NO and check out your stuff.a
  18. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Sure, thing!

Just hit me up with an email to michael@britkit.us when you're planning on stopping by. We don't have a Kriega showroom down here, but our most excellent dealer The Transportation Revolution New Orleans does, so I can run you through the gear there.

Cheers,

Michael
  19. Durwood

Durwood AKA Chinga D Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Michael,

Looking at the overlander 60 along with 1 roto pax water and 1 fuel. Do you have a deal working on this set-up? Going on KTM racks. Thanks!
  20. amanlikemike

Oddometer:

Unfortunately there are no deals available on this set-up, mate. But we've spoken since you posted this and I'm pretty sure everyone's happy. :D

Enjoy your rides with Kriega!

Michael