Angeles Forest route planning help

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by racer187x, Feb 18, 2013.

1. racer187x

racer187x Ben hur awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done a fair bit of searching and figured I'd throw it to the experts for advice. I entered myself and my BRP in the 6 Hours of Glen Helen (actually, I plan on doing all three events) in the Ironman class.

[​IMG]

I live in the North Hollywood/Burbank area and don't want to freeway it all the way out there and back on the poor pig. Here is what I tentatively planned:

[​IMG]

Knowing that it is winter (despite our 75 degree temps today) what do you guys think as far as off road for part of the way through the forest? My apologies, I haven't explored the Angeles Forest area before. My wife and I moved to California not too long ago so I'm a noob down here.
  2. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    I think that it's only 60 miles on the 210, one hour straight shot.

Going up into the forest adds 40 miles and an hour to the journey, assuming you catch good weather.

I don't know any direct forest roads on the face of the mountain, but I have ridden the Rincon years ago (don't know if you still can). Looks like you could hook that and the W Cucamonga Truck Trail together with a little pavement, but your travel time will be way more than sensible considering the 6 hour race starts at 8.30 am....

If I were you, I'd just hit the 210 freeway for the 60 miles.
    7am on Sunday morning, you should have the road to yourself. :thumb
  3. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:
    The weekend b4 last i rode ACH and the road was closed not too far after the tunnel... nice sunny day that weekend but road was closed. not sure by March 10th how much or little snow we will see locally so you may have road closures on the actual paved roads. its a nice scenic route but not something you can fly thru with the local LEO's patrolling for hooligans on the weekends.
  4. HAPPYTRAILSINC

HAPPYTRAILSINC single track rider

Oddometer:
    sounds like uv'e already bitten off more than u can chew by entering no the less riding to and from such event!!
    how are u gonna pit/ refuel/ what if u get hurt yada yada:D
    cant wait to hear the ride/race report though!!!
    wanna see lottsa pics:deal
  5. racer187x

racer187x Ben hur awhile

Oddometer:
    All, thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming! Hopefully, the pavement will be clear at the very least!

Happy: No worries, I appreciate the advice as well. Actually, I have pit support with some friends and family meeting me out there. I was thinking of leaving the day before and camping out there overnight. It would be crazy to leave the day of!

I know the pig can do it but we'll see how I do. Pics below are from Baja 11/13 -11/17/2012. We were doing 150-200 mile days every day and that bike didn't bat an eye. I haven't ridden much this winter since then so I'll be shaking off the cobwebs with this race.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ride/race report to follow. This has been a fun project so far. I bought the bike as an experiment to see how little I could spend and how much I could do with one bike (the money part should be easy cause I'm broke :lol3). $2,300 on the bike $500 to plate/convert. I'm using Mobil 1 motorcycle oil from Autozone (my KTM would cry, my wallet doesn't), Primary Drive sprockets/chain from Rocky Mountain etc. I bought the Baja Designs race light for the Baja which has been the only real piece of equipment I've bought for it, other than the dual sport kit.
  6. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I can route you on road/powerlines AFH/Mount Emma/Fort Tejon/Pallet Creek/Big Pines to Wrightwood.
  7. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    done the 24 and 6 hour a few times some of the most fun on a bike (after) while the BRP is a grate bike Be aware the race is more like a W.O.R.K.S. event not a S.C.O.R.E race be ready for endurocross/ motocross The 210 is the rout of choice
  8. HAPPYTRAILSINC

HAPPYTRAILSINC single track rider

Oddometer:

that is untill u ride w/the brrraaaapppp crew in a few weeks:clap
  9. racer187x

racer187x Ben hur awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. The more I look at it the more I think I'll just slab it out there and make an interesting route back. Thanks again for the advice.

Happy: Your rides look like a blast, I'll have to hit you guys up one day.
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    210 moves pretty good. Don't do it on a Friday afternoon.

At rush hours there's often a bottleneck at the 605 and then again in San Dimas at Foothill, but it opens up after that. Probably another bottleneck at the 15.

Friday night is deadly, any time after about 1pm on Friday it starts! People going out of town, the river, Vegas.

Car pool lane all the way from Pasadena to the 15 :clap