High Tech Fuse Block

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Crafty, I am a backyard wiring type of bloke with zero understanding of electronic theory and have been known to let the smoke out on many occasions, so it's good to know that the design theory should be compatible - I'll let you know how it goes :evil

To be honest, I was surprised at the response from Clearwater. I was interested in a bit of inside electrical comment on the application and possibilities for customisation, not a rush to the "warranty will be void" bottom line. Maybe that's a product of a prevalent customer attitude of "it's not my fault and you should fix it" and in that light is understandable.

My take on it is, let's come up with interesting applications for the MB to solve real world problems and if that means letting a bit of smoke out then so be it; bring it on.

Thanks again.
  2. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    I concur!

3. MrSandman818

MrSandman818 INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer:
    Cost? Im pretty good at skimming over the details so sorry if you already covered that.

This thing is pretty friggen awesome! Ive been going back and forth on buying a nicer fuse block for my 9fitty as the one I have right now I got for $6. It works but it takes up a lot of space. Knowing the power consumption and being able to reset fuses while on the go is perfect! Im tired of carrying around a ton of spare fuses "just in case".
  4. RocketMoto

RocketMoto 2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer:
    We could test it. But, I believe it's not going to be straight forward on account of the way the CWL volume control is setup. Further if you have a BMW with an HID or LED headlight, that poses two additional challenges with the high beam and horn trigger using anything other than CWL's volume control or Can Opener in the case of the LED headlight.

5. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    He hasn't settled just yet on a retail price. There's winds blowing about different configurations and different price points. Last pricing he gave us was a round number at 300.
  6. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I don't understand the issue with those triggers on a BMW. I have two bmws and no problems.
  7. MrSandman818

MrSandman818 INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer:
    Thanks Beechum. Yeah that's spendy but I've never seen anything like it before.
  8. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:

Agreed.

We trigger a relay to switch LED Glenda lights from low to high beam with a tap into the headlight wiring on both our BMW F650GS twins, no probs.

I have been mulling over the possibilites and I have some ideas, might need some help though. I'll put it down on paper and see if it makes sense before posting though.

Hopefully if we can sort out some application ideas with wiring suggestions it will help the inevitable questions of "how do I make the MB do .........."
  9. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Ultimately, we'll need to create a forum just for those topics.

10. ironklad

ironklad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new BMW's with factory LED headlights don't have a 12v trigger wire that anyone has been able to identify as they apparently utilize the CANBus signal to trigger. I believe the factory fog light switch isn't even a 12v on/off switch but rather some sort of momentary switch or CANBus signal generator. I have the Clearwater CANOpener device that taps into the CANBus signal and listens for the same signals that the LED headlight listens for and then translates those CANBus signals into 12v trigger wires among their other advanced features. In addition the CANOpener has access to a trigger that only turns on the aux lights if the engine is running though i'm not sure if a direct 12v trigger is available for this.

Regarding the horn on a newer BMW I believe the horn is still a basic 12v horn that can be directly tapped into.
  11. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I'll have to take your word on it. It is hard to imagine a light with a switch that turns it on that I could fail to comprehend within a few moments. Perhaps they've done it. :dunno
  12. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never underestimate a German engineer's ability to come up with a complex solution to a simple problem.
  13. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    :d
  14. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    A pair of finished PCBs are coming from the factory tomorrow. If they are good then we will schedule the rest to be manufactured PDMFQ. I also have a new Motobrain coming out of the new mold tomorrow. :clap
  15. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    The factory just fessed up that they already built all the power PCBs when I asked them to send me an unassembled PCB. It looks like we are already 30% of the way there!
  16. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Is that like asafp?
  17. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Not quite that fast, but fast. :D
  18. EKinOR

EKinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome news! :clap
  19. craftycoder

Oddometer:
  20. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
    Mate I am blown away once again by the techincal detail that you've put into this project!