Hi-Viz believer or non believer?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Dusty1013, Jan 24, 2014.

1. echo15

echo15 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I have a Hi-Viz helmet (It's up there where it can be seen... AND where I don't have to see it). Do I think it makes me safe? Hell no. But if one potential idiot notices because of it and doesn't plow into me, I've gotten my money's worth.
  2. Stan_R80/7

Stan_R80/7 Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer:
    The results of the Iowa State report to the Midwest Transportation Consortium (i.e. the recent study linked by ttpete):

6.2 Recommendations

In view of the analysis results, the following recommendations might be considered in implementing motorcycle conspicuity related campaigns and interventions:

1. The conspicuity of a motorcycle can be increased by using an appropriate rider outfit (bright) that distinguishes them from the surrounding background.

2. Using a modulating headlight on a motorcycle can increase the conspicuity of a motorcycle significantly, irrespective of the background environment.

3. Increasing the alertness and expectancy of drivers to the presence of motorcycles can increase conspicuity, as the study revealed that motorcycles were detected at greater distances in an urban environment compared to a rural environment.

4. Awareness programs targeted specifically to older drivers can be considered.
  3. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Actual observation. It was an empirical study.
  4. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    So we have people on here (probably bored trolls but let's assume they are actually serious about their opinions) who keep saying "show me the evidence" but whenever anyone points out all the other groups of people who rely on hi viz there is always a reason why that is not applicable to motorcycles. Then when an actual study is posted, that is somehow not good enough either.

I guess when you are attached to a fallacy for whatever reason (bright colors are not "cool" e.g) you will grasp at any rational or irrational arguments to support your belief, no matter what the evidence indicates.
  5. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can rely on blinky lights and Alien Vomit Green hi-viz garb if you want to.

Me? I am going to ride in such a way that I really don't give a shit if they see me or not. I will try to help them with lateral motion.. But ultimately it is MY responsibility to avoid them NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO.

I have already had a Red light runner and a STOP sign violator THIS YEAR. It was a NON issue as I expect the other road users to be dumb-ass, twatwaffle, shit-bag drivers.

Riding is NOT a Contact Sport. Ride AWARE! Do that and it doesn't matter what color of gear you wear. :deal
  6. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    No evidence necessary, as no reasonable person can deny contrasting colors may make you more visible, the problem is those who take it a step further believing that all things being equal you're safer wearing high-viz than not.
    That's a dangerous fallacy that should not be perpetuated as it encourages complacency.
  7. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    I wear a black helmet, black jacket, black pants, black boots, and black gloves, and typically ride a black or silver bike. I guess I'm lucky to be alive. :lol3
  8. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or use them and NOT rely on them.
    That's what I do. In addition to riding aware.

Why present it as mutually exclusive?
  9. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy But a moment's sunshine fading in the grass.

Oddometer:
    In the Texas sun in all black??? It's a wonder you're not cooked. ;)
  10. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    All things being equal, how does being seen (sooner) not make you safer?

Ah. Yeah, if you put it on like a bright yellow coat of invincibility, that's a problem. Nobody is saying to do that- except you.
  11. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the conflict right there, if you believe that all things being equal you're safer because you're wearing high-viz, at some level you're expecting a particular outcome that's not 100% certain. You MAY be safer IF they see you sooner.

Use it because it may help, but never assume it will.
  12. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thread over. :1drink
  13. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Never. The Luddites can do what they want. Best of luck, you'll need it.
  14. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    what ever works for you. pay your money, make your choice. Helmet or dew rag, hi-viz, cutoffs, jeans or leather. Boots, flip-flops, tenniepumps!

I picked mine, you pick yours, nose, butt to riding gear, the picking is personal!
  15. imnsane

imnsane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have read little of others comments, my expeirence with KLIM high vis is that I noticed first day that drivers at stop and in traffic saw me sooner and held back on actions which would previously gone with me in black. Feel more visible in hi vis. FWIW
  16. wep300

wep300 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A really long thread & to be honest I haven't read it all. IMHO motorcycling (like life in general) is about managing risk/return.

Wearing hi vis reduces my risk of not being seen. Increases my risk of cager target fixation. Net positive. Cheap. Check---do it

Same thing with good tires, good corner lines, trail braking, eating olive oil instead of lard. Cheap, effective, net reduction in risk

YMMV
  17. Desce

Desce Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride as if no one sees me. In a white helmet and hi viz jacket everyone thinks I am the police judging by reactions. I'll take it.
  18. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally something sensible in this thread.
  19. Digasi

Digasi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I should wear one, though I don't think it will help. People don't really look when they are driving. If they don't look they will not see you regardless of what you wear. So that is why I prefer to take a more proactive approach and look for them and avoid. But then again, what ever helps draw the eye can't hurt.

Like to find a nice pack that was high viz. That would be great.
  20. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wear HiViz and a white helmet. I also ride as defensively as I can. That's about all I can do. I hope nothing happens, but if it does, at least my lawyer will be able to wave my HiViz in front of the jury and say " WTF"