Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT!!! Big Bikes Conquer The Elements Of The West!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by tuffenuff, Oct 2, 2013.

1. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Yay, you did Black Bear!
    Too bad you missed the best part - the amazing views! :cry

Oh well.
    We did the same thing with Schofield - missed the great scenery.

At least there's always a reason to go back to Colorado! :deal
  2. tuffenuff

tuffenuff a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Oddometer:

IKR! It's a good thing Mike took his pics so I could superimpose what I would be seeing had it been daylight with the nighttime silhouettes I did see.

I definitely see a return visit to CO in the very near future. :clap
  3. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't thank you enough Prev for taking the time to put this ride report together. Takes a lot of time and thought to put together something that captures a trip in an interesting way.
    Also a big congrats to you Prev for being a real trooper on this ride since it was your first long adventure ride.
    I want to also thank Jeremy and Russ for making it a fun challenging trip.

Hi goes to Steve (StevefrmGV) who we met at Steamboat. Would definitely like to hook up with you in future. Sorry we missed you in Moab.

Hi to Joel (NSFW) - keep takin those pictures.

Hi to Kelly and hubby (Region Riley) - nice to meet you out in the middle of nowhere- very cool.

And finaly Hi to the Oso Locos - Boggy Draw for us was bone dry - I was really dreading any big mud on the big bikes but we totally lucked out - the Adventure weather gods were with us.

Now I will shut up and let's get on with the report!

MZ
  4. ExpatADV

ExpatADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow. Much respect to you guys doing black bear in those conditions. Sketchy enough in the daylight but fog and darkness would be nuts. On the other hand not seeing the drop might have helped!
  5. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Hey!

I know you guys...
    I remember seeing you at the KTM event.
    So happy to see your Ride Report. :clap

Subscribed...
    Q~
  6. tuffenuff

Oddometer:
    ---------------------------------------
    DAY 4: Telluride to Lake City (COBDR)
    ---------------------------------------

The Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back Passes Day! :eek1:eek1:eek1:loco:loco:loco

9/9/13
    Thank you Backcountry Discovery Routes for your awesome services!
    Thank you Butler Maps for your awesome maps!

[​IMG]

Woke up at 6am and had a quick & simple breakfast: oatmeal (using the coffee maker to boil my water) and a cliff bar.
    I must really love doing this because I am so not a morning person and neither is Jeremy. :twitch
    Mike and Russ were eager to get going so they went ahead of us, we were dragging just a bit still working on improving our packing.
    Plus we wanted to ride around town a little since we didn't get to see it much yesterday and fuel up.
    [​IMG]

While at the gas station, I looked for a keychain. I collect them and pin them on my wall map using a nail. I have very large US and a World Maps in my office.
    Here's the US Map. Using a thread, I string the related keychains along to show that road trip. This is an easy DIY project that is cost and space effective when traveling. :thumbup
    I realize weight is a concern so I was selective and will try to buy online others I opted to buy later. Also, when we were in Steamboat,
    I shipped what I bought along with other souvenirs purchased that weekend.
    I still have to put my CO & UT keychains up from this trip.
    [​IMG]

I did find an OK keychain but I was more excited about finding an awesome sticker to surprise Jeremy with!
    I think it is incredibly sexy for any grown man to be excited over a sticker! :babe And he earned this sticker!
    [​IMG]

While we were doing the town tour and fueling up, Mike and Russ were making their way up Ophir Pass.
    We were an hour behind them and hoping we'd be able to catch up sooner rather than later.
    We would do Ophir again, but this time with our luggage - and fuel! :lol3
    [​IMG]

Here are Mike's pics and vids of their ride :lurk:1drink
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since they left town, Mike was having issues with his engine cutting out (elevation?) and somehow his mirror got loose. He was going pretty good up the rocky and narrow section...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then his engine cut out here... but he managed to urge it along after a little rest...
    [​IMG]

Russ was making his way up, no prob...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

High Five! :clap:clap:clap
    [​IMG]

GIT'ER DONE! :thumbup
    [​IMG]

Section 1 video from Mike's Go Pro!
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KgSMZX1XsfM?list=UUVaCUgJT_WClKCMrEQC3x-A" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

As they neared the summit... Mike got stuck in a rocky hole right about here... with Russ' help he was able to ride out of it...
    [​IMG]

Section 2 video from Mike's Go Pro!
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZQK-qinOjbc?list=UUVaCUgJT_WClKCMrEQC3x-A" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I. still. can't. believe. these. bikes. can. do. these. trails! :eek1 Much respect! :bow
    [​IMG]

Section 3 video from Mike's Go Pro!
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Fp3bvhvlwa4?list=UUVaCUgJT_WClKCMrEQC3x-A" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

I don't know how, but we managed to time it right and catch up to them right at the summit! Oh right...
    - we didn't get lost this time :thumb (would've been a dum dum move if we had considering we already did this yesterday! :fpalm)
    - we had fuel :thumb
    - even though we had luggage, we made it through no problem :thumb
    [​IMG]

:kumbaya
    [​IMG]

Dinner time! :dg BRB with a really great story to tell... :D I just hope I can tell it right...
  7. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome video on Black Bear steps. Really brought a smile to my face.
  8. tuffenuff

Oddometer:

Hi Mike! Thank you! I'm thankful I made it back alive, in one piece and fully functioning as normal (for me)! :rofl You guys were great - in humor, in patience and in advising! And feel free to chime in anytime! :D

Thanks ExpatADV! It was sketchy but fun in an insane in the membrane sort of way! And yes, you are quite right - not seeing the drop helped (me anyway)! :lol3

Hi there, Questor! :wave I remember you from the rally too! Glad you found us and tuned in! How was your ride back home?

Thank you, Diggerled! I can smile about it now too! :lol3
  9. tuffenuff

Oddometer:
    --------------------------------------------------
    DAY 4 Continued: Telluride to Lake City (COBDR)

Spoiler Alert!
    If you're planning on doing Ophir or Black Bear tomorrow or in the near future and have never done it, then you may not want to *read* this little story I'm about to tell... it's up to you.

You can come back here after your ride and read away, if you like.
    The story ends at the Porky Pig video :wink: and I will continue on with the RR separately and thereafter... but the story starts right now...

Meet Roma. We met him atop Ophir Pass - we just passed his jeep right before reaching the summit.
    He is from Telluride Outside, "an animal rescue, rehab and return advocate" in the area. He's been doing this for over 50 years!
    [​IMG]

He had a group of concerned citizens with him and they were about to release a rescued and rehabilitated badger from the area and we just happened to be right on time for the release.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roma gathered all his group over and called us to come over too... but not too close. He began to talk about what had happened that led him here and what was about to happen.

"Now folks, several months ago we rescued a young badger that had an injured tail from this area.
    The injury was minor and we were able to nurse it back to health and have come here today to release it back to nature."

He went to his truck and took out a wooden cage with chicken wire atop covered by canvas.
    He lifted the canvas and showed us the inside. We were hoping to see the young badger but it was hiding in a cave within its cage, where it was hiding and protecting itself from all the outside noise.
    We could see a protrusion of fur and it was moving as the badger took a breath.

"Please, folks... stay calm and do not move. I'm going to go over here and prepare to open the hatch... you can go ahead and have your cameras ready."

He stepped about 5 feet away from us and started to put the casing down... but before he could set it on the ground...

The latch came open! :yikes :yikes :yikes
    [​IMG]

The badger flew out into the air and hit Mike directly in the chest, causing him to curse and jump back! Jeremy, standing near Mike, jumped away! There was a brief moment of absolute fear, shock, and silence...

:eek2 :eek2 :eek2

And then we all looked over to where the badger was...
    [​IMG]

Suddenly, thunderous laughter filled the air! :lol3:rofl:rofl:rofl:lol3

We thought we were about to get mauled by this... but we got punked by fuzz instead!
    [​IMG]

Turns out, Roma is from Telluride Outside which is a Jeep Tour and he was en route to Black Bear via Ophir and he thought he'd play a little joke on us. :clap:clap:clap

Well done, Roma! Sir! Well done! You at least got Mike and Jeremy. :lol3
    Russ and I were too busy questioning what a badger was doing out here and why were Roma's group of concerned citizen's standing so far away with smiles on their faces...

Note, Mike is still gingerly approaching said badger to take a pic... who can blame him, eh? :wink:
    [​IMG]

Ahhhhh... what a spectacular way to start off the day! Thank you, Roma! You are awesome!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-_kwXNVCaxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very funny! :rofl Nice Ride Report you have going here. Thanks. :lurk
  11. tuffenuff

Oddometer:

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming! :D

The Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back Passes Day!

We had just completed Ophir Pass and were on our way to Red Mountain Pass.
    We were all in fantastic mood, thanks to Roma! And it looked like the weather was going to cooperate with us today. :clap :lurk:1drink
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The scenery was beautiful and picturesque in every direction you looked.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We would then see a landscape dotted with abandoned mining ghost towns... and strangely enough, given the histories, I felt serene...
    I can only read about the living conditions during those times and the hardships they had to endure...

Red Mountain Project: "But there was a high price to pay for living in such a high elevation surrounded by steep mountains that carried deadly avalanches upon the unsuspecting traveler below.
    The snow sometimes piled up so deeply that all work came to a halt as the ore couldn't be shipped and the storage bins were completely full.
    Then armies of miners took to the roads and tracks to clear the snow, only to find that it was necessary to return to this work time and time again.
    Nighttime temperatures dipped to twenty or thirty below zero but it could be shirt sleeve weather in January when the sun was shining. There were other hardships in the mines.
    The ore went straight down so vertical shafts followed the rich metals for hundreds of feet into the bowels of the earth.
    Water was a constant problem, but the same water when mixed with the local pyrites formed sulfuric acid which in turn ate at the pumps and also at mine rails, shovels and the mining machinery.
    Nails dissolved in the rungs of ladders, planks fell from ceilings and hoist cables could turn to rust in a month's time." :eek1:cry
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Yankee Girl Mine. Here's a bit more history on the Mining Industry at the time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

En route to Corkscrew Gulch, we all needed and took a little break to stretch, eat and relax.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were plenty of jeep activities on the trails right from the start. And each vehicle, the drivers and passenger(s) were always friendly and helpful.
    Who knows?! That might be Jeremy and me someday! :lol3
    [​IMG]

God, I sure hope somebody knows exactly where we're going next!
    [​IMG]
  12. tuffenuff

Oddometer:

Thanks, RedRockRider! I'm glad you're enjoying the RR! Thanks for tuning in!
  13. 50X50

50X50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike...you guys crushed it!!:clap
  14. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice report - looks like you avoided most of the rain thus far...
  15. tuffenuff

Oddometer:

Having had our fill of much needed rest and snacks (jerky, cliff bars, apples & oranges) and lots of water... we were ready to conquer the rest of what COBDR had to offer...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We continued on Corksrew, the climb that seemed to never end. :gerg Right from the start, the climb just kept going and going and going and... :lurk:1drink
    [​IMG]

Corkscrew video from Mike's GoPro, en route:
    A little confession (shhh... don't tell Jeremy I told you :wink:)... @ 0:49 of the video there's a reason why I am off the bike...
    So he went right at the fork and ended up in front of a bathroom building. We didn't know what it was at the time so he stopped to check it out,
    but when he put his foot down, the ground was lower than he thought and it was very sandy... next thing you know... :muutt
    Our second tip over... this time, I lost my footing in the sand and I hit the ground. It was soft. It was so silly, we both had a good laugh. :lol3
    I had to help him get the bike up... and me being 4'11" and 90 lbs and wearing gear that weighed the same if not more than my weight --- dayum!!!! --- DA BIKE IS H-E-A-V-Y! :eek1
    I must have lost 5 lbs helping him get the bike upright!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/olMimKmZAdY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

W.O.W. Finally, we reached the summit where you are treated with more amazing vistas!
    The weather being overcast was perfect. We had a few drizzles here and there, but it was neither raining hard nor hot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can you find Russ? :lol3
    With the clouds continuing to loom above us, we got back on our bikes and pressed on with our ride, en route to Hurricane Pass... :lurk:1drink
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video from Mike's GoPro, after Corkscrew:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R3CMlhaqgcc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We reached another summit! :clap The views keep getting better and better!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

California Pass and Cinnamon Pass to go!
    [​IMG]
  16. tuffenuff

Oddometer:
    Thanks, chrish4ku! Yes, in the beginning we lucked out with the weather for the most part with moments of downpour and cold here and there. We somehow manage to stay ahead of the downpour. The rain came just as we were finishing or after our ride in the evenings. You'll note we have yet to camp :(:... the weather was so unpredictable so we've been hotelling so far.
  17. dfhepner

dfhepner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have found that the black is better than the clear. The clear does not seem to be as sticky as the black.
  18. DARKRYDER

DARKRYDER Hung Up My Boots for Now

Oddometer:
    I'll give this stuff a try guys, thanks for the suggestion. As with most repairs, I'm guessing preparation and cleanliness are key here? The Gorilla tape saved the day after the sole began separating.

19. tuffenuff

Oddometer:

And just when we thought we were doing so well with the weather... the rain came. :uhoh I put the camera away as it was getting slippery.
    Fortunately, it came in bursts and we stopped if it got too sketchy when we had to. :lurk:1drink

Here are some pics and a short videos from Mike's Go Pro, en route to California Pass:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F-ZC88_a62M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We reached California Pass!
    [​IMG]

This is where my favorite group shot in gear was taken. :D All that's missing is Russ' bike... next time! :clap
    [​IMG]

We ran into these 2 ADV riders, I couldn't hear their names, though :(:. I remember the one without the helmet was French... vous souvenez-vous toujours l'accent français :wink:
    They gave us the 411 on the trails ahead... very very rocky, very very loose, very very slick, and a few bikes had already crashed... :eek1
    Thanks for the 411 monsieurs and thank you for taking our pic! :D
    [​IMG]

And with that said, we were off! :lurk:1drink
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rain had subsided and we're riding along, minding our own business when suddenly... we got buzzed by an owl! Looked a little something like this. :lol3 I think it was a Boreal Owl.
    (Borrowed pic from another day and borrowed owl pic from www.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a video from Mike's GoPro, on California from the summit.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zp3iWMXTq_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why is Mike up there?
    [​IMG]

Because,
    He's a pro. ​
    He goes high, he goes low.​
    So that he can get the good photo.​
    :lol3:lol3:lol3
    [​IMG]

The scenery here along with the history, is just amazing! I must come back!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We heard Engineer Pass was really good so we must come back!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the full Animas Forks video from Mike's GoPro.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8N1poLzzcd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a video of Mike & Russ, en route to Cinnamon Pass.
    This is where the Frenchman indicated was "very very rocky, very very loose, very very slick, and a few bikes had already crashed" - he was right and there were many wild tracks within that section.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ld8K2GfPOqs?list=PLVkXhOr8Zb4wTJnVwB743roPb9tAd7z-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here are 2 videos of Cinnamon Pass from Mike's GoPro:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mKRYk2KV9Ss" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HLUK_aXo9OI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Somehow we missed the Pass sign, so I borrowed this from www.
    [​IMG]

The rain was starting to come down again and after a long day of riding Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back Passes, we were all too happy to get going and find a home for the night.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made it! It was just before 5:00pm and the Visitor/Info Center Clerk was kind enough to help us out.
    [​IMG]
  20. tuffenuff

Oddometer:

UGH... somehow posted last reply too soon... :dunno
    This one is short and quick as it's the ending of our day...

So, we got to the Visitor's Center and the clerk found us a resort with 2 vacancies, 1 of which, just opened up. :clap
    [​IMG]

This was our home for the night. Westwood Resort. They had 2 cabins available for us each with 2 BR, 1 BA, living rooms and kitchen with supplies.
    Note: We had Room 6 and if you stay here and you have a choice, do not get that room, unless they fixed the plumbing issue.
    Our bathroom stunk like a backed up septic tank :puke2- so ask first.
    Otherwise, the rooms were fine.
    [​IMG]

When we went to the General Store, it was Closed.
    FYI, pretty much everything opens at 11AM and closes by 5PM.

But we lucked out with The Sportsman Store, it was still open. And he had yummy fudge! :D
    [​IMG]

For dinner, we ate at... where else... :dg:dg:dg:dg:dg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those new to Poker Alice, it's very delicious! It's pretty much self service: - you walk in and to your left, you get a menu, you go to the counter,
    you order, you pay for your food/drinks, there are paper plates, utentils, cups, drink dispensers, and you clean up after yourself too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As we devoured our plates and gulped our drinks down, we talked about the plan for tomorrow - little did we know, it would prove to be one of the best and challenging days of the trip! :evil