Touring on the SV650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Ohio_Danimal, Nov 2, 2011.

1. pista

pista Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Danimal, did you set up your suspension after the GSXR swap? Since installing a ZX-10 shock and Sonic Springs with 10w oil in my '03 SV thou, the handling feels unsettled and it doesn't inspire any confidence. Any advice? I live in NE Ohio as well and cannot wait for next season to check out some of those twisties.
  2. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal the only thing between want and did is do Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I had Zoran from Twin Works Factory setup the forks and did things the right way as far as properly setting up sag, etc. My rear shock is from a 2005 Kaw. Zx636 and is sprung well for my weight (230 lbs). I'd be happy to help you with your setup next spring. Your forks are light years better than the sticks on a stock 650.
  3. pista

pista Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Danimal, I will definitely take you up on that next spring. Somebody on another forum recommended FCR Suspension near Youngstown. But I'd love to get this sorted out without having to take it to a shop.
  4. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice plate! :lol3

I'm diggin' the luggage setup, too. I've been dreaming of a Tiger 800, for it's lighter than 1050 weight and shorter than 1050 height. But, I was just telling my GF how much I enjoy riding her SV and that a standard SV might not be a bad choice.....except, the SV's width, between the legs, kills my knees, as does the peg-to-seat distance.
  5. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ducnut
    This is the set up
    Buell Pegs lower 1"
    rearset plate reversed lowered 1"

Very comfortable :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. fiftytop

fiftytop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At 60k this 06 is starting a new life as my year round long distance tourer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Aghartha

Aghartha Idiot

Oddometer:
    This is such a good looking bike.
  8. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    love seeing the high mileage rigs in this thread!
  9. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it looks like an FJR, but, without all the weight. :evil
  10. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of mileage are you getting out of the rain tires? And, are those Avon?
  11. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the bar end mirrors as well. How did you get your EARS to work with those mirrors so cleanly? I have a pair and would love to set up as well. Also those are MT21 tire yes ? Very nice for the NorthWest.

[​IMG]
  12. fiftytop

fiftytop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they’re Avon Av49/50 SP. They’re more of a racing / Supermoto specific rain tire. I ran these as an experiment for the 6 months of rain we get here in western Oregon… and that’s how long the experiment lasts! The rear won’t get more than 5k before the center is flattened out. The front might last for a couple of seasons, maybe 8-9k. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I am looking for a longer lasting dual sport tire that won’t wear out fast if run on dry… not too many choices out there for the SV’s rims though.<o:p></o:p>
  13. mg66

mg66 Touring since 1976

Oddometer:
    Why thank you :)
  14. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scorpion Sync and Distanzias may be what your looking for.
  15. fiftytop

fiftytop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the Syncs but the Distanzias sizes that fit the SV rims are in a softer SuperMoto compound... not sure they will last much longer than what I have right now. If I can fit a 150/70 rear I might go with them...
  16. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my 03 SV1 with syncs

[​IMG]
  17. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm not seeing on Avon's site where there's any difference in compound. All I see is that it's SM sized. They still tout long mileage and excellent grip, even on the SM data sheet. I'd be curious to see what the treadwear rating is. No matter, I'd still think they'd provide better mileage than a rain tire.
  18. fiftytop

fiftytop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw it on the net so it must be true :D ... well, it seems like the consensus among riders on other forums (ThumperTalk, Supermotojunkie, etc) is that the SM rated Distanzias are of a softer compound. The rationale behind it is that 160/60 - 120/70 sizes are typical of lighter supermoto / hypermotard bikes unlike all other sizes that are made for heavier Enduro / Adventure bikes (thus requiring a harder rubber for thread longevity).
    Otherwise I don't see why in the Avon catalog they even need to add the SM descriptor next to the tire size...
    And yes I certainly hope they would last longer than my SP rains... it might cost a bit to find out though!
  19. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could you explain this please?
  20. madisonreid

madisonreid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most riders have done one or the other. I decided....both. It's a inexpensive way to dramatically improve the SV comfort for distance travel. :evil

Review these two links. The rearset plate link will show pictures of the plate put on upside down to lower the rearset (see gen2 gallery). You may need a shield on your exhaust pipe to protect your boot. Targa makes a nice shield for that purpose. I've been riding very tall dual sports and adventre bikes the past 5 years and have grown fond of having more than enough distance from seat to pegs. For me 5'7" I would find it difficult to enjoy the SV at distance without having the additional +1.5" leg room. Along with handlebar risers, she's become a very comfortable touring bike when called to duty. Love my SV now.

Also, I have added a Laminar lip and ordered a Renntec tail rack (seen below on my SV1000) for hard case (EMGO). My Givi waterproof 41L tailbag will handle the over flow of stuff.:D

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=69755 (PEGS)

http://rearsetplates.com/ (PLATE)

http://www.chrome-addiction.com/p-t...ld-black-18610154-10098340.php?r=bingshopping (GUARD)

[​IMG]

With Laminar Lip and Targa exhaust guard

[​IMG]