990 Idle recomendation

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Red Herring, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Red Herring

Red Herring Gnarly Commuter

Oddometer:
    My 2011 SMT seems to idle at ~17-1800. Seems pretty high.

I have read they usually idle at ~1600. Still seems high.

I was wondering if there were any contraindications to having the shop drop the idle to 12-1400? There must be a reason KTM has them idle so high... but I can't figure it out, and can only assume that a lower idle would be just fine.

What do folks commonly have theirs set to?

Steve
  2. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was told by a KTM mechanic to set idle at 1600 RPM and one of the reasons was to Keep the Oil Circulating to the necessary mechanical parts for better lubrication.
  3. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    Idle speed on the 990's when warmed up to 80 deg C should be 1450 RPM. If oil pressure is low at this speed (ie: the oil light stays on), there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Increasing the RPM will only mask the symptoms. The oil pressure specs for the 990 engine at 100 deg C are:

1500 RPM - min. .8 bar (11 psi)
    6000 RPM - min 2.4 bar (35psi) max 3.5 bar (51psi)

Be sure that when the mech re-adjusts the idle speed they either use the diagnostics tool to retract the idle stepper motor, or he warms the engine up to 80 Deg C. When he has the idle speed set, he will need to check the Throttle Position Sensor and adjust if out of spec.
    Spyrious likes this.
  4. doglegdon

doglegdon doglegdon

Oddometer:
    Spot on with mine.
  5. Red Herring

Oddometer:
    :thumb Thank You! I'll make a note on the w/o when I bring it in next week. IIRC, the only way to set idle is with the diagnostic tool, right?

6. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    You can do it yourself with TuneECU.
  7. Red Herring

Oddometer:

Hmm. That's sounding more and more like a must have.
  8. Red Herring

Oddometer:

This might be a silly question, and probably quite noobish, but how will I know if it has/has not been done?

I am asking because I brought it in this morning, and when I asked that the idle be set to 1450 when the engine was warm, he said "I'll set it to speck". I said 1450 was within spec, and asked that they check the TPS after adjusting the idle. He suggested I not tell them how to do their jobs, that their guys had been to school, and knew what they were doing.

Needless to say, I left with somewhat less than a warm fuzzy feeling, and will pick it up tomorrow. I`ll let it idle up to temp in their lot, see how it looks.

If they have not readjusted the TPS, how will it manafest itself, or is it something I don't really need to be too worried about?

God I hate taking the bike in. This will be the first and last service with them.
  9. Sapling

Sapling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Find a new dealer! I laugh at dealerships that :topes on forum information as if it was all garbage.....
  10. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    If the steeler's mech really does know his trade and practices what he learned, he will let the engine idle for 15 minutes after he finishes his adjustments. You can do it for him in the parking lot when you pick it up (just to make sure). Don't touch the throttle at anytime during those 15 minutes (during the start up or during the idle period) and the ECU will adapt itself.
  11. Erik500

Erik500 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And ...make sure the bike is 100% straight (i.e. : NOT on the side stand !).
    Just sit on it, keeping it upright.
    It'll be the longest 'red light'- stop you'll ever encounter while on the bike, almost a zen experience:D

Good luck !
  12. okourkoulos

okourkoulos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The needle in the rev counter is moving just a little.
    When I asked, they said it's normal, they all do it.
    Doesn't seem very normal to me!
    What do you think?
  13. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    What do you mean by "just a little" :huh
  14. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    I have replaced one on my 2003. The axle tends to stick in places... Can be lubed but not much improves. I haven't found a cure...:ear
  15. okourkoulos

okourkoulos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I mean like 100-150 rpm.
  16. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    That's normal.
  17. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    HI,

I am still having problems with erratic idle speeds on my 2009 990r. It has been over 2 months we have been working on this now with no results. It is an intermittent fault, suddely goes to a 2000 or even 4000 rpm idle. If I stop, switch off and start again it settles but it will re occur, sometimes in 10 minutes, sometimes in 2 days. Very very frustrating and the shop who deals with my bike and I are now at a loss.

Can you give us an simple step by step pn the idle speed and tps adjustment procedure please? The manual has no detail on this. We looked at the TPS on KTM diagnostics this morning and it is within spec =.56V at zero (green on the chart)

Engine was overhauled (new rings, valves, guides etc) at 64,000 kms, problem started after that. Now runnng a 2007 ECU with std 2007 map, as the std ecu shat out the immobiliser and I wanted rid of the immobiliser system, hence went to a pre 2009 ecu and map. Once I get this idling issue sorted I may look at copying back in the 2012 map tables.

Reall y appreciate any hemp you can offer Sir
    Cheers - Martyn

18. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    The 07 and 09 Fuel Injection systems are very different. The ignition timing is very different as are the maps. The 09 system is vastly improved over the 07/08 system. I'm surprised that it even starts.

Ignoring that, you have the classic signs of a bad TPS. The TPS resistance values are changing while the engine is running and the CPU doesn't know where it's at.

A consistent low (or high) idle can also be caused by the throttle bodies out of sync. Valves out of adjustment will make the throttle bodies out of sync.

19. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Zuber,

The valves should be ins spec as it was recetly rebuilt, and we also balanced the throttle bodies a few weeks ago (they were out)

I went to the 07 ECU and map in order to rid myself of the immobiliser which had taken a shit. Conventional wisdom is that if I install an 09 onwards R map the software will look for an immobiliser signal and just say no. I have only just started playing with tuneECU and tried copying the 09R tables into my 07 map, loaded it up and it would barely start so I reverted back pronto. It runs just fine other that the odd backfire on the overrun. Once I get to the bottom of the idling issue I will keep working on the mapping.

Will try the TPS swap out, not available here in CHile so I have ordered them from cyclehutt

Cheers - Martyn

20. ElRod

ElRod Drifter

Oddometer:
    You may want to check the brass MAP sensor fittings that screw into the intake runners under the Throttle bodies. Mine were plugged causing idling issues and difficulty setting the TPS and balancing.