Help planning a budget for a R1200GS A

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by lukeinlondon, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ridewv

ridewv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So are you buying a used GSA or new 2012/2013? Or are you saying the purchase is now on hold?
  2. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just buy and ride before spending on what others like. See how it fits you first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2
  3. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon LC GSA/Helix

Oddometer:
    Got the deposit on my previous bike today, the owner of a 2010 GSA is holding one for me..info to follow...dont want to jinx anything

VERY EXCITED

shippers recommendations welcome..I am signed up to uShip...
  4. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    It says on the website it fits directly to the tail rack?
  5. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Looks like you are getting a bike
    Gear
    Helmet, jacket, pants gloves and boots can be had for under a grand to as much as you want to spend
    There's a shop In Long Beach that sells used good condition gear (but not used helmets) She's got a bunch of textile kit in right now.

My kit has cost me about $1500 and that's the whole shebang including electric liner.

Common prices

Helmet $300-700
    Jacket $150-700
    Pants $100-500
    Boots $100-500
    Gloves $50-200

As for the rest of the fartels... Ride the bike for a little first get to know it, then get the stuff to fix the stuff that bothers you.
    That way at least you don't spend money you don't need to spend.
    You can spend as little as 8 bucks on a set of BMW valve stem covers or as much as you want on a rolling touratech deal.

I'm cheap, I'd get a used top box from Givi (about $100) with a generic mounting plate.
    I'd also put on a decent used glide plate ($150-500)
    Exhaust pipes, and remaps you don't need, an OBD reader would be helpful on a bike with such complicated electroinics.
  6. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    whats the shop in Long Beach?
  7. rgb2cmyk

rgb2cmyk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the Garmin Montana. I like it more than the Zumo if you are going to go off the beaten path. Otherwise just get out there and ride!
  8. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    Alright..the bike is on its way to me!! Thanks guys, Ill be seeing you on the other pages..

Purchases so far

BMW Top Box
    White Spoke Covers
    Two Bros M5

in the works...

GPS..
  9. Mr.Mushman

Mr.Mushman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your new purchase can't wait to see pictures of the bike. Got some "Adventure Gear" at Cycle Gear up on the 5 FWY they have a pretty good inventory at a reasonable price and a bunch of other goodies, I know what you mean about the BMW jackets, they are nice but very pricey .... As some of the other inmates mentioned, get the bike, ride it for a while and you'll see what you "really" need and what you could live without. When I was researching mine I had a bunch of stuff in mind, I was lucky enough to find a 2012 GSA from a local inmate, beautiful bike and very well taken care of, rode it for a couple of weeks and realized very quickly that the bike is so great "out of the box" that I did not have to go crazy with farkles. The new exhaust system sounds great and is "throaty", in terms of comfort, my bike came with a Bill Mayer Saddle which was great, rode up the coast up to Ojai where they are located, had them reshape it and have been real happy with it ever since, and it's a great ride to boot ... The only thing I "need" now is a BMW top case and I'll be happy.

PM sent
  10. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mr Mush, pm;ed you back. Care to post a pic of your seat setup?
  11. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    Alright! Got the top box fitted and the exhaust on..so far..very good!

Battery is dying so got an Odysee on the way with the mods done to fit

Does anyone else bash their left shins when changing gears? Not sure if the last guy lowered them...
  12. Mr.Mushman

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple of pictures of my set up. Pretty much stock, a couple of "mods" but nothing fancy. The racks for the side cases have been removed and it gives it "a slicker" look. On my list of things to get, a BMW top case. Red was NOT my first choice but it really grew on me and now I just love the way it looks and what an amazing bike to ride ! ! ! I also have the passenger seat I'll take a couple of pictures with it tomorrow. As I mentioned the bike came with a Bill Mayer Saddle, I rode it up to Ojai, they reshaped the seat to my specs and it's been a very comfortable ride eve since ...

Congrats on getting your bike ! ! now you just have to post pictures ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    NICE pictures!! might be interested in doing that ride to Ojai especially if i can get the seat custom built around me, how much did you pay for that? (pm me if you want)

What windscreen is that? It looks bigger than the stock, which hits me about eye level when i use my lowered seat..

which leads me to my next question!

I have the stock seat and i got a lowered seat, the lowered seat feels better but if i am going to get work done on the seat does it matter which one i use? (if they are going to just use the pan anyway? The orig' seat has those two metal bars which can be adjusted (not sure what for) so that might be the better choice? but then selling the stock seat would presumable fetch more?

pics to follow
  14. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    how long did it take the side racks off? might be nice to loose some weight cause a lot of my riding i wont be using them..
  15. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    out with the old
    [​IMG]

and in with the new!

[​IMG]
  16. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    on order..

Odysee 535 battery modded with Wunderlich bracket
    Accelerator Module from Europe

next orders..

Bagster Tank Cover (tempted by the 30th Ann colors but put off by having white and it getting dirty)
    Fog and Headlight HiD kit $115
    Wunderlich Screen Extendor $120
    Wunderlich Handlebar bag (although apparently for '10's its not a great fit) $65
    Seat (?)
  17. Mr.Mushman

Oddometer:
    Hello lukeinla

An Ojai ride sounds great to me ! ! ! One of the things that came with the bike was a Z Technik V-Stream screen that I think is great and much better than the factory screen in my opinion. Switched a couple of times between the two and ended up with the Z Technik over the original for a couple of different reasons. In terms of your seat, they will use the original pan, custom fit the foam to your specs and give you a choice of different finishes on the seat. Since mine was already a BMS they just reshaped it, used the same cover and it cost me $80.00, I hang out at their shop for a couple of hours met a couple GSA and KTM riders and had a fun time . I also have a set of Rox risers that I have not gotten around to install yet but that's next on my list ...

Here it is with the passenger seat on. From what I understand it is real comfortable
    [​IMG]

I still have not found a bad angle on the bike when taking a picture ...
    [​IMG]

It is such a beautiful machine ...
    [​IMG]
  18. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    with the stock screen i get air in the eye level and buffeting..is the Z taller? It looks great, hard to find info about they don't seem to have any dealers in the US..what model is it ? S, M or L..how tall are you?
  19. lukeinlondon

Oddometer:
    my engine emergency light came on and the bike won't start...day 4 of riding..:norton
  20. kimokk

kimokk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have access to a gs-911 diagnostic tool? Maybe some local inmate might have one?