Call all XR600R!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CSMonte, Dec 8, 2008.

1. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

Nope...Iron

Scotchbrite?? I might try 600 grit wet or dry with some solvent.
  2. trackhead

trackhead Transient

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I used Scotchbrite with success on my Nikasil coated CRF250x, but this cylinder doesn't have the crosshatch patter. Almost considering just taking it to a reputable machine shop and having it done by a pro.
  3. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

Well there ya go...
  4. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    Got a ride planned and have to ride some slab to get there. What gearing has been successful for you FF's. My bike has 14 x 46 now which is already pretty tall.
  5. Zombie_Stomp

Zombie_Stomp Aspiring human

Oddometer:
    15/40 got me acro the USA going 75 or long stretches at times. Stock is 15/43, so your 14/46 is not tall at all.
  6. kta

kta Riding Everything Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Stock gearing on the R is 14/48 I believe. The L models have the 15 tooth front.

I ran stock gearing on my R for 3200 miles over a couple weeks with no issues at all. It was a little short on the highway but I'm a patient kind of guy, so I just cruise in the slow lane and let people zip past if they want. I prefer to have the low gearing off-road.
  7. Zombie_Stomp

Zombie_Stomp Aspiring human

Oddometer:
    oops, forgot I wasn't in the XL600 thread, they kind of blend together for me. :D The L has different ratio from crank to tranny gear as well. What the difference is, i don't know, but it is probably slightly taller there too. Gearbox ratios remain the same if I'm not mistaken.
  8. HeadTrauma

HeadTrauma ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddometer:
    The XL600 shares the same primary ratio of 2.188 with the XR600 AFAIK. The 650L's is taller at 2.029. HRC's Power Up kit for the XR600 included a 650L clutch basket and crank gear in order to put less torque multiplication through the transmission.
  9. DirtandBlood

DirtandBlood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just went and looked at a really clean 95 XR600. Pretty much stock. It was really hard to start, and once started and fully warmed up, it ran great on half choke but real sputtery and poppy with choke off and would not idle. While test riding it was the same. Half choke ran great, choke off, it would barely maintain speed. The gas is at least 3 or 4 months old and the owner has only fired it up briefly once or twice in that time span. I'm thinking the problem is crusty gas and a partially clogged jet which is an easy fix.

My question is: Are there any mechanical issues that would give this symptom? It ran great at half choke. Smooth, tons of power (I was almost bucked off while leaned over fiddling with the choke going down the road), everything was tight and felt good. I just don't want to get sucked into another POS motorcycle.
    Thanks in advance!!!! :)
    I really like this thread and am dying to get a pig of my own.....
  10. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like crud or water in the carb. Was it making any bad metallic noises or smoking? Feel like it had compression? Did the rest of the bike look like it was loved? Any oil leaks? Good luck.
  11. DirtandBlood

DirtandBlood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike definitly looked "loved":evil . Totally clean. Just had a wash and a service before it was parked. I didn't notice any oil leaks or smoke. Compression was there. Rear end was tight. No noises. I didn't notice anything at all really. It took alot of kicking and choking before it got what it wanted. Everything about it was in excellent working order. I was frustrated as hell because I was ready to load it in my truck for as much as $1400. (Asking 1500) I got home and made a low "as is" offer.
    Everything I know says it needs the carb hosed out. But there is always that little bit of doubt...
    Thanks for the RE-PLY
  12. trackhead

trackhead Transient

Oddometer:
    No reason to not buy a bike if it's just a simple carb problem. That's about as basic and cheap as it comes to fix.
  13. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

The pilot jet is plugged. AMHIK
  14. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    That screams plugged pilot jet
  15. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Quit worring, worse have been brought back to life. :nod

[​IMG]
  16. DirtandBlood

DirtandBlood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies! The guy called me this morning with a reasonable counter to my low ball. Im gonna pull the trigger this evening.
    My friends all ask me why I would want that outdated heavy pig when the new 400s make just as much power, are lighter, etc.....
    Im 6 foot 2, 250lbs. I need a big durable tank. I am low budget. Reliability is number one. I have dealt with POS money pit bikes and I am tired of it.
    Plus: I just think it is COOL!!!!
    I was thinking I would pull the bowl and soak the whole thing is AvGas for a couple hours? Any other suggestions?
    Thanks!
  17. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remove the pilot jet and blast it with some parts wash. Hold it up to the light. Can U see through it? Your DONE.
  18. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    Good day!
    I'm going to look at an 82 XL tomorrow. (good priced/unseen/titled) (looking stock in the photo)
    Plan is to use whatever pieces will change over. (altenator/ harness...)
    Wanna plate my 82 XR.
    Any one knowing about the in's and out's speak up I've only got till morning to gather info.
  19. Juan Nacho

Juan Nacho Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too late for the party?

My 2000 XR600R:

[​IMG]
  20. HeadTrauma

HeadTrauma ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddometer:
    You're actually one of the latest to the party considering 2000 was the last year, but not too late...