What is everybody doing to keep cold air out?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jearnshaw, Oct 29, 2012.

1. jearnshaw

jearnshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to ask what is everybody doing to keep cold air out of your helmet?

I picked up a cheap fleece balaclava from Wal-Mart and yes it does work but from being so thick it is very uncomfortable under the helmet.

My bike does not have a windshield so I am getting blasted head on with the cold air...
  2. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    I use a Buff. Google it.
  4. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    buffs are one of the best things, I have quite a few of them. Havent tried the cyclone one yet but I think its somewhat designed for bikes. The wool one is the best all around cold weather head garmnet made in my opinion.
  6. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean with too much constriction. I returned mine and bought a stocking hat for $1. Cut the top off and stick it on my head upside down. I use that and a dirt cheap balaclava from rckymtnatv. They work great for hardly any money. I'm always looking for something better though.
  7. DaveStockwell

DaveStockwell Rock Fodder

Oddometer:
    I use a wind proof fleece neck gaiter from REI. Windproof on the front and breathable on the back. For super cold days my helmet has the ability to close off the chin and top vents. A buddy of mine simply puts tape across them.

Here's a link: http://www.rei.com/product/790919/rei-thermo-neck-gaiter

Nothface makes a similar product and I know Patagonia used to. Whether they still do I don't know.
  8. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an original buff and a merino wool buff and they both help in cool weather.

When it gets cold I wear a Goretex tube that I made and lined with very thin fleece. Aerostich makes a wind band that is somewhat similar to what I use, but mine is taller and doesn't have a velcro gap.

I have tried Schwampa's headwear but it seems to be made for people with no chin. I have used the 'Stich wind triangle, but it tapers off at back leaving my neck exposed

I make some of my own gear when what's available doesn't work for me. For me, in Maine, a windproof layer is required.
  9. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    I have a neoprene balaclava from alpinestars that works but is usually warmer than I want. day-in, day-out, I use an aerostich silk scarf.

I've used a turtlefur neck warmer in the past, it works but tends to be too bulky.
  11. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    Silk aviator-style scarf from Aerostich.

It is warm and thin so it is not hard to close my collar over it, or stash it in my pocket when I don't need it.
  12. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    I use a balaclava with a neck cover from NOJ co. Sort of a bandana made of a windstop material with fleece inside and a velcro fastener at the back of your neck. You can use it in freezing temps and your head and neck stay warm. But a little hard to turn your head for a final lane check. The lower portion tucks under your jacket flap. Toasty:clap.
  13. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a balavlava form Dainese that seems to be some for of neoprene . . . . only used for longer rides. . . .not much insulation (no biggie, the helmet is one big ice chest, after all), but it stops the wind entirely.

for commuting (15 miles or so), a silk scarf or cheap buff works well enough . . . . . .

oh, or a thin fleece pullover that forms a quasi turtleneck when zipped up all the way.
  14. Mucka

Mucka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My son has a balavlava by Klim. It is thin across the top so it fits under the helmet. He uses it mostly for sking.
    Russ
  15. AlecMyrddyn

AlecMyrddyn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a windbreaker balaclava from BMW that works really well. Very thin on the top so it fits under the helmet well. The neck area material feels almost like a dense fleece, but I believe it is a thin neoprene core, as it blocks the wind completely. Tucked in under the collar of my heated liner and I barely get any wind on my face. I've been happy in it down to 30 degrees on the highway with the jacket and gloves running.

I recall it being extremely reasonably priced as well... I think $35?

Only problem I've had is that the stitching isn't well secured at the ends of some seams, I had to return one for the seam under the mouth panel coming undone, and repair the replacement on the road as the stitching came loose while out on a 3 day trip.
  16. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    made by Vermont Turtlefur? BMW shops often sell these and they work well. That is the one I have also.
  17. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Balaclava. The ones I like have a fleecey-bottom, but a thin top. I have an Arctiva one that's thin, works well on the bike for quick winter trips. Klim makes one that comes down the chest/back a little further, keeps the wind out better than the ones that just go to your shoulders.

[​IMG]
  18. Snarky

Snarky Vodka Infused.

Oddometer:
    Buy a Buff. Like everyone says. It is an item you'll learn to love year round. They make various ones, but the original is fine for probably 75-80% of the weather you encounter.

It is like a multitool of headwear. I usually keep mine around my neck, even in the summer. Keeps the wind and bugs off you. You can also wear it around just your mouth, or just around your ears, or around both your mouth and ears.

I have a couple, I have one I got from the beemer dealership, one that is black, and one that is fish patterned, I wash them and keep put them on when I go riding, just as I would socks.

I also have one that is half of the Buff moisture wicking material / half fleece. The fleece part keeps your neck warm while the micro fiber keeps the wind off your skin and wicks the moisture off so you don't get clammy.

I'm interested in getting the wool one too.
  19. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    I have used a couple different thicknesses of balaclavas and they work fine, but in the end, the Merino wool Buff works well and is very versatile. $20 for a tube of material is pretty steep, but damn if it doesn't work very well. You can wear it like a neck gater or wear it like a balaclava.