Diesel Steamer Build thread

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Coachgeo, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Coachgeo

Coachgeo Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NOW: Dayton OH area recent past WAS: North TX
    My bike is not built yet. Though I can see why you may be confused. In this thread the pics and a video alluded too and found on the board I linked too, are of the exact type bike builds as mine will be. Most are of Hiecko's bike out of Germany. Some maybe of Stuarts in Europe. Most use a 6speed Ultima w/3" belt drive. Heicko also built some (but dont think they're shown here) with a CVTech CVT unit from a kubota powered Axaim car. This car is available in Europe but not here.

If you read all the drama (trust; me avoid doing so) you'll know why mine just now finally coming together. As to where does CVT come into play? I chose to go with CVT to keep the bike lighter in part but also to speed up the learning curve of riding so I can hit the trails sooner and enjoy mother nature away from the nearly 700 students I endure weekly. :evil Love what I do but solitude is needed to balance the mayhem. Learning Curve; As a person with a Biomechancis/Motorlearning background and far better understanding of my own physical talents (and lack of) as a near life long gymnast, trust me... Im better off; as well as those around me, without a having a foot shifter to deal with. Not have a "long" history of motorcycling Im not limited by a biased need for a foot shifter. I drive and raced (SCCA) manual shift cars, yet did semi hardcore offroading with an Automatic for cleaner drivablity reasons and that left me thinking for offroading a motorcycle even on open trails....... an auto would be easier just like in my old Jeep TJ. Granted my diesel Unimog was a manual but could just put it in low 2 and go anywhere for days with an occasional shift into third ; maybe 4th, low on the flats.

as to pics. Hope to get build report full of pics but I cant make that happen. Traded a second Tiger to a friend with fabrication experience in rockcrawlers, race cars, motorcycles etc. to build my bike. Can't force him to take pics and we are 1000 miles apart since I moved to find work.

to get a good eye full of diesel bike builds, and ideas about bike builds go to dieselbike.net and its forum suckindiesel.com/thingy
  2. Coachgeo

Oddometer:
    Considering going with a north south engine mount to keep things more narrow (3" belt drive or CVT off of flywheel adds a good bit of width. Surprisingly........ the CVT even more so than belt drive.)

With North South engine orientation you gota go with a shaft drive or right angle gear box to chain. Shaft drive is how the CVTed Track Diesel is done. Research seems to show that Right side Final drives are CCW while Left sides are CW thus best would be right side Final Drive since engine is CCW spinner (as is most all engines). This is opposite side the OEM chain drive.

Plan would be to also put a sprocket at end of CVT output; belt or chain drive to a sprocket at the universal joint that the Final drive would attach too. Reason for the sprockets is to allow for the option of changing sprockets for adjustment of final ratio that you normally only get on a chain drive bike. Course if they made different ratios to swap into Final drives, would not need that ..... but no dice there; your stuck with the final drive's fixed ratio and nothing else. Thus the sprocket plan

With that in mind along with low rpm's of diesel engine and a cvt.......... what Final drive would you folk recommend? Honda goldwings are a dime a dozen and are right side Final drives. Not sure a Gold Wing wheel would go well though. Of course if by miracle a final drive that already has gear ratio's that would work well.......... then skip the sprockets and tag on end of Jack shaft the Secondary CVT clutch is on like the Track diesel seems to do. I dont know if that exist or not nor am I smart enough for the math to figure out what that miracle ratio would be
  3. Coachgeo

Oddometer:
    Do you know anything about a shaft drive bikes final ratio? If so please let us know in form mentioned below

List final drive ratios with following data

Manufacture, Model bike,Years, left or right side unit, Gear Ratio
  4. mglsite

mglsite Long timer

Oddometer:
    I picked up two Briggs/Vanguard diesel motors and have been wondering what to do with them.

My have to give this a try.
  5. Coachgeo

Oddometer:
    Those are Diahatsu Diesels under briggs name. Are they Turbo? What year? What did they come from?
  6. Coachgeo

Oddometer:
    Been shopping around for ancillary parts I needed (and some not NEEDED) that fit my budget while Curtis is working on bike. So far I picked up (but not all delivered yet):

Must haves cause I had none of the below any more

. Sidi Summer Riding boots w/molded in sole. Used; from an Inmate at a fair price
    . Oneal Element boots (sewn in soles......... allows me to add to sole so the tall bike fits my shorter legs better). Used; from a Local. Maybe a bit high at $35 bucks for the amount of scrapes but wanted the sewn in sole.
    . Joe Rocket Alter Ego All weather Adv. pants, liners, armour. Used; From an Inmate at a fair price.
    . Registered for OH required riding school. Steal at 50 bucks for helmet and bike included. Will take their other ones probably too. End of May on a weekend I wont have athletes at a competition.

Picked up "new" protection (thanks to advice from an Inmate)
    [​IMG]
    . New helmet on sale (Gmax GM11S)

[​IMG]
    . New water proof gloves on sale

One NOT NEEDED yet but deal was too good and it rounds things out NICE since this is meant to be an adventure bike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Custom home-brewed Panniers!! Honestly I also like the protection good panniers provide the rider and bike. Used -
    Curtis in Tx can make brackets to fit them no problem

see
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20788263#post20788263
  7. Coachgeo

Oddometer:
    So how should I paint it?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870791

Also finally got some one from Polaris Corp. to talk to me. Dealers didn't know SQUAT about using anything for a custom project. In fact pretty much no one did. Who I reached was a division of Polaris that sponsors SAE Baja. That is a Baja ATV race. All the rigs are built by engineering students at Univ. across the country.

That department said NOPE...... the Polaris CVT I got won't be able to handle the torque. Belt pinch wont be tight enough. The site that lead me to that Polaris Dept. is a forum for SAE Baja participants. While lurking thru it I came across another CVT for sale. This one was at one time on one of the Univ. of Nebraska rigs is my understanding. This one is a unit made by CVTech. Another sponsor of SAE Baja. It is a Powerbloc 50 primary and a LSE secondary. Specs show it should work well and be a good bit cheaper to tune too. It should now have arrived in TX where Curtis will investigate more.

PS- in by build thread linked at top of first page is more detail on what Polaris said AND recommendations for specific Polaris CVT's they feel might work.
  8. rockland213

rockland213 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coach
    When you get your bike in Dayton let me know, I am from Sidney (45 mi north) and would love to check it out. I am planing to build an ADV diesel someday.

Rocky
  9. Coachgeo

Oddometer:
    Will do. Glad to find a potential inmate to explore with though my schedule is very not typical.

Next school year I'll be in Sydney a couple times for competitions most likely too.

PS. Funny we have a Rocky on staff here too.
  10. RBnite

RBnite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope with all you buy for the bike a bandage kit is one of them is one of the parts. That open primary is scary.
  11. Coachgeo

Oddometer:
    That is not my bike. That was a test run by the first person to build a diesel Tiger. He's build many since. Steamers, Girlies, Road Triples too. Yes he (Heiko) has all of them covered too.

Im actually going to use a CVT but yes......... it will be covered too.
  12. Coachgeo

Oddometer: