WARPED X - What Do We Want To Do?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Y E T I, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. I edited my post.

I didn't think we were going to move it to the Fresno Walmart parking lot. :D
  2. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    keep it in Kernville.
    great area.
    great for both the pussies that truck in their small bikes to ride black diamond singletrack trails and great for the hardcore riders that ride the grueling pavement in on their 1200cc espresso machines. :D

MRA has been great! we've even used it for our own rides.

but there's other camping in the area...
    this past weekend we stayed at the KOA in Weldon south of the "lake". ice cream social and pancake breakfast. :ear it was a nice campground with cool cabins.

or there's Cedar Creek Campground up by Alta Sierra Ski Area off Hwy 155 above Wofford Heights http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sequoia/recreation/recarea/?recid=79673&actid=29
    that's an adventure up there!!!:1drink
  3. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    ooooh, perfect venue (at least in SOME ways) was Songdog Ranch. too bad it closed :(

(the genesis of WARPED Trip was a april campout held at Song Dog a couple months before it was closed... I think we called this the Song Dog Howl... I originally was setting this up, but then couldn't attend so passed the buck to Mully to run).
  4. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:

:lol3
  5. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    If its NOT @ MRA, count me out.

RIDE ON!
  6. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    It isn't that I wouldn't go if it was moved, but I must say the convenient amenities, catered meal in the covered area, the little amphitheater area, brewpub right down the street, multiple fire pits, camp spots close enough for inmates to carry you back to when stumble drunk-that's some pretty good shit!:freaky
  7. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
    Yo CA Stu, dump cesspool of a thread into jomomma where we can get real and be completely honest. :deal

If Funk started this thread that would be one thing, but THIS BULLSHIT IS ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT!
  8. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    You can be honest here Treadless. What's bullshit about it?
  9. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    reserved for pointless comment, but on the first page bitches!

:poser
  10. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like this, the first Warped events were almost all ride in, now the whimpy bikes or riders can't seem to get there on their bikes, but its going to be hard to find a place to ride and camp without truck and RV access, or just ban non ride in campers
  11. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I dunno, I'm really torn. There are really great discussions on both sides here.

My personal experience after attending a good number of them has been great, on both my espresso machine as well as a little bike. Each was a different and great experience.

When I rode my first GS to my first WARPED, Mikey got me so drunk I didn't know my name on that silly 3 Amigos tequila stuff. I ended up drunk dialing my (now) wife and that has always been a fun memory, not to mention it was the first time I rode in the snow and some other conditions.

I also brought my now wife to her first "event" and introduced her to the insanity.

Another great one was when we came back from Germany and had a blast doing some insane single track with Windrat and, of course, doing so hung over REALLY bad.

Both of these great memories were from the same location and I was excited then to bring little man and the mutts last year, but alas, my back had other plans.

HOWEVER, the cost is totally absurd. I put out around $200- maybe more- last year, and not only did I not get to go (no one's fault but mine since I was injured), I've still not gotten my T Shirt from last year.

I didn't bitch one word about canceling and not getting a dime back, but it left a VERY sour taste in my mouth for wanting to go back to the same venue. Please note also this is not a reflection of last year's or any other's organization- it simply is the nature of the chosen venue.

So although I have positive memories of the location, I agree that it should be at least explored to find another that if nothing else, is a bit more flexible and cost effective.

One part of me says this isn't an MOA rally where there must be shopping and all the comforts of home and it is SUPPOSED to be an adventure of some form. Hell, I could have stayed in Europe to "camp" like we do at MRA.

But another part says the riding rocks in that area for all types of bikes and would be hard to replicate.

Bottom line is I guess I'll go with whatever, but cost vs. reward needs to be taken a bit more seriously in my opinion to keep the same location.
  12. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    WARPED would not be WARPED if its not on the Kern river.
    MRA.
    That is all.
  13. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Just an odd aside,how did the venue determine that no refund was made when you couldnt go? Or that no T-shirt was forthcoming?
    I dont understand.
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Funk checked in with his plan,replies happened.
    Whats the deal?
  15. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to keep it on track here...

Scott is looking for ideas let's keep it in this topic...

So if not Kern where...

If you shit talkers are suggesting somewhere else........:lol3
  16. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Well said.

Gimpy asked me to do some recon for Carrizo this past weekend. Methinks not really an option- not enough space and REALLY remote.

How about getting out of Kalifornistan and over to NV as a means of keeping it relatively central?
  17. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I'm fairly sure there isn't any part of Nevada that is what I would call "close" to SoCal. :dunno
  18. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    And just what makes this thread bullshit ole wise one?
    You were going to run this, you didn't not discuss with ANY of the previous folks who ran this event, you just unilaterally handed it off.

Had Gillafunk been AT the event when he was anointed AND announced his desire to move it AND got a positive response, I wouldn't give a crap. The first MOST folks have heard about the change in venue is THIS POLL!

I'm sorry, I just don't get the issue with folks trailering their single track bike OR ole farts like me bringing my frickin motorhome. How many folks have YOU fed out of your saddlebags? How about coffee and muffins? Or the large community cooler (with starter beer I might add).

I've ALWAYS gone the extra mile when bringing my RV as a penance for doing so. Food, Coffee, Beer, Hauling shit for folks. I JUST DON'T GET THE RESISTANCE OF ME BRINGING AN RV :scratch

Gerg
  19. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Brunos! Easy gravel road out there,rooms can be reserved,plenty of challenging and or easy off roading to be had.
    Gerlach is nice that time of year,maybe.
  20. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeti sent a PM to a bunch of us to get some input and opinions.

I'll try.

First off, let me say that we've always liked the Kernville location well enough. It's got good food nearby, a great grocery store, the camping amenities are about as good as we could ever hope for, and the local riding (both dirt and street) are pretty good. The fact is that finding a better venue, especially during the middle of Spring, is going to be tough. The WARPED crowd (myself included, of course) is an older group, and I do not mean that in any pejorative sense. A lot of them have been on ADV since the Good Alde Days, and their resistance to change is understandable and expected. We've all had some really great times at MRA, and it's fitting that the 10th anniversary of WARPED should be held there. That being said, there's a good argument to be made for changing things up once in a while and giving everybody a new, fresh face on the whole affair. I spoke with Giddyfunk at the Redwood Rendezvous this past weekend, and he made some very good points concerning why he wants to move the event. Personally, it's a long, dull slog on slab most years to get to Kernville, and his ideas of where to move it in the future might rule myself and the Mrs. out on sheer mileage/time considerations alone. I'm fine with that, if it means that the event continues and the people who have put their time, efforts, money, and passions into it are considered and served.

My opinion is this: leave the event at MRA for the 10th, and have a nice confab of all concerned then and there about selecting a new spot for 2015, maybe even before the raffle on Saturday night.

Kiel deserves some props for wanting to inject some new life and blood into an old gathering, but I believe that Gerg, Treadless, YetiGS, Backoutonthehighway, and any others that I've left out who've taken on this leviathan of a task need to have their concerns addressed.
    My biggest worry about this entire process is that it devolves into a big pissing match that drives potential new attendees away and alienates the old guard to the point that the life goes out of WARPED.

BTW: I don't give a rat's ass about motorhomes and trailers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.