I phone 5 mounting options

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ValpoFz, Dec 27, 2012.

?

Which option should I go with?

1. Option 1

2. Option 2

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SantaFeTrailer

SantaFeTrailer still social distancing

Oddometer:
    Got my Otterbox armor. Very nice piece if kit. So nice, in fact, that I am having a bit of a crisis about drilling it.
  2. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    What are you using for a charger? I just got a new I5 last week with the Lifeproof case. Looks like this is a farkle to seriously consider.
  3. jprovence

jprovence Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't got around to it yet. I haven't had the need to keep maps up all day. But I found a hardwired lightning charger on google that I anxious to get my hands on.

Also I'm looking into the Monoprice lightning connectors. They have a thicker connector, and it leaves just .1 of an inch all around when inserted into the lifeproof case. Meaning that putting an o-ring or something around the connector would seal out the weather and still charge when plugged in.

If I went this route, I'd just wire a USB port to my fuse box and run the cable upfront. I don't like the idea of having a powerlet or Cig port upfront because I couldn't use it when it rains.
  4. ValpoFz

ValpoFz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did you get the back piece off the Life proof mount? Does it just snap off, I looked at it and it seems to be fixed pretty solidly. And is there a way to keep the maps up all the time when it is running in Nav?
  5. jprovence

jprovence Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the front part the logo pops out. I used a razor blade. Its lightly pressed in. Then you see the tabs. Gently push those towards the center and pull on the mounting assembly. It will all pull out the back in one piece.
  6. ValpoFz

ValpoFz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Thanks!!

Well its done and I really like the set up. I cant wait to see how it works out on the road.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. jprovence

jprovence Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just don't try to film with it. The phone will show the vibrations of the motor. Its also pretty cool to FaceTime to lol. NO I don't look into the phone when I'm riding. But others can see me or where I'm going which is pretty cool.
  8. Ziploc

Ziploc Seeking adventure on- and off-road

Oddometer:
    After reading this and other threads, I decided to go with the Lifeproof bicycle mount, modified with a RAM Mount ball, arm, and handlebar screw mount.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Well, that didn't turn out like I had planned. After about 90 minutes of use, the mount has cracked (and not where the drilled holes are). I may have tightened the screws too much, but I wouldn't have expected this.
    [​IMG]

Now, thinking about plan B. Probably a RAM X-Grip.
    http://www.rammount.com/products/xgrip/un7_learn

Cheers!
    TigerTrout likes this.