Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. rubRsidedown

rubRsidedown Long timer

Oddometer:

Hmmmm, I may have to try this stuff.
  2. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    I agree, that's all I use except for WD-40 every once in a while to clean the grit off. The Dupont lube attracts very little dirt.
  3. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    I buy mine at Lowes but I've never seen the non-aerosol version, I will look for it next time, thanks.
  4. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    No going back now. The valve stem hole is drilled out and the 5200 is curing. I wish I could have found the fast dry stuff cause I may actually have the weekend off and the rim will still be curing. I took a lot of pics and I'll do a full DIY with a few things that I would recommend doing differently.
  5. hecpilot

hecpilot Dreaming of my trip...

Oddometer:
    So very true !!!!!!

That being said, Clay, quit your whining, put your parts on your bike and continue your ride. Sheesh.

I agree Triumph should have responded and sold you some parts. But hey these are wear-items, not warranty issues. So they are your responsibility.

Now that being said, next time you need parts let me know and I'll try to get your parts FedEx'd from either of two dealers in Houston.
  6. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    I guess you could go back (for what reason I don't know). Pull out valve stem, stuff in tube and rock on.

I look forward to your pics and the wait on the curing does seem to be the hardest part....:D
  7. internalcombust

internalcombust What a blast!

Oddometer:
    Definitely keeping an out eye out for this thread and long term success. :clap
  8. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Really! ;)

Special chain lube like that makes sense.

40 years ago when I was a young bicycle racer many of us used gasoline to clean chains and WD-40 to lube them, then the word went around that both products removed existing lubricants and were a bad idea. The word was that most mechanics on professional teams cleaned chains in diesel fuel, so that's what I started to do.

Just FYI you would be surprised at the amount of friction there is in a poorly maintained chain.
  10. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    I'd never used an auto chain oiler on any bike until yesterday. I got a loobman for less than 30 bucks delivered and figured what the hell, I'll try it. I installed it on my roadie last night. Bit of a PITA but seems to do a good job of keeping the chain lubed. I used BMW synthetic gear lube because I no longer have a shaftie and have nothing to use the gear lube on, but come to think of it considering BMW FD issues now my chain will probably fail :lol3
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    So, assuming when you lube your chain you rotate the back wheel by hand you don't notice any difference in how freely it rotates before/after lubing?

I've put off of adding my pro-oiler to my tiger but I am now planning on doing it. I've used it on my 3 previous motorcycles. The benefits/disadvantages of chain oilers has been discussed elsewhere so I am not going to get into it. And not all oilers are created equal. If you want your motorcycle to operate efficiently with minimal chain friction and without the normal increase in friction between lubing a good chain oiler can provide this with minimal mess.
  12. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    I've been using Loobman for several years. They are messy and the recomended system for mounting to swingarm is stupid, but they work. I've done installs on several bikes and have always found a chainguard bolt that serves as an attaching point for the delivery piece near the rear sprocket. The ziptie whiskers rubbing on the sprocket usually need to be replaced at rear tire replacement time. I use whatever leftover oil I have - gear lube is good for hot weather and ATF works well in the cold. Folks who like a clean rear wheel should look elsewhere but oil is not sticky like chain lube and is easily cleaned with S100 or WD40. Never having to spray the chain is priceless, especially on long trips. I'll never go back.:thumb
  13. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    My wife and I took the afternoon off and did a little exploring. Love this bike on these roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    I did a thread search without success.

So what rear tube do you prefer for our XC?

TIA
  15. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    I just bought this one from Motorcycle Superstore...

Pirelli Heavy Duty Inner Tubes
    Color- --, Size- 130/140/150/160-17br /> SKU#403662
  16. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    One that holds air :D

I still have both stock tubes in mine after 13,000+ miles they are still truckin along. Michelin makes a good tube.
  17. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    I'm not a fan of heavy duty tubes. They are harder to install, heavier to carry as spares, and I never fun a low enough tire pressure to worry about a pinch flat. Also, it won't protect against a puncture, which is your most common flat. I agree with fb, any one that holds air.
  18. motomuppet

motomuppet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone used a Metzler Sahara 3 on the front of their 800xc? I just found 90/90 - 21 in my store room I forgot I had and was thinking it should work well no?
  19. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    I always put the tube in the tire before I put the tire on the rim. You won't need to stuff the tube in later and risk having it twisted. And heavy duty tubes are no more difficult -- maybe slightly easier.
  20. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    unless you have to change the tube and not the tire. heavy duty tubes are harder to twist anyway.