craigslist emails from people who aren't even interested...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by mikesova, Jul 27, 2013.

1. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    So, I threw the sporty up on c-list after riding it for a little while. The main plan was to flip it in the long run. I rode my fz6 after riding the sporty for a week and it was like night and day. smooth and comfy on the fz6 vs. vibey and cramped on the sporty. The sportster is seriously fun to ride, but not for long periods of time, I've found.

Anyway, I had a lady email me about it:

Her: That is the ugliest sporty I have ever seen.
    Why would you take off the forward controls ?
    Just plain stupid........
    Good Luck

Who the hell wastes their time and emails people to talk shit about the stuff they are selling?

Well, for fun, and to waste my time I responded:

I didn't take off the forward controls, but I wouldn't have bought it with them. You have better control of the motorcycle with them (mids). I wouldn't expect a simpleton like you to understand that, though.

Sent from my iPhone

She wrote back:

Hello Dickhead......
    If you were a true Harley Rider you know it's about what looks better not if you have better control.....All sportster customs come with forward control........
    You probably wear a helmet also.......DickHead.....lol

Sent from my iPad

Lol.

Me: Ahh, form before function, you must be a "true Harley rider". Yep, I do value my life and motor skills, so I do wear a helmet. I guess I'm not your typical Harley fashionista. You probably shouldn't even be looking at sportsters though, because a real Harley rider, like yourself, knows that sportsters are real pussy bikes.

Also, may I remind you, that you emailed me to tell me that the bike I had was ugly and stupid, so I think you're the dickhead in this situation, XXXXXXXX.

Name withheld to protect the stupid.
  2. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    :norton

Some people just don't quite understand how to function in a society.
  3. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    this is safety advice from a Harley owners newsletter in oz.

4. Use the rear brake​

I find that on gravel I tend to just ride the rear brake and

use it to slow down. Do NOT use the front brake when

moving on gravel. If you use the front brake it may lock

the front wheel, causing the front wheel to skid which

will make the bike extremely unstable and may well

cause you to fall off. Try to maintain the same speed​

using the rear brake only.

fucking idiots led by idiots

guess what i'm buying a amf Harley a t the moment

I will wear a full face and attgatt

keep it stock

I will ride it on the dirt

I will use the front brake

I suppose i'm a infidel

lol

cheers
  4. Geolander

Geolander Scruffy Nerf Herder

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you expected enlightening profound conversation from Craigs List?
  6. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll bet her name is Darla! :lol3
  7. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah,

CL

Complete Losers.

Yet a while ago I actually posted something on the loser network.

Posted SWMBO's 4 snow tires & wheels w/TPS on the N.H. CL

Tires good condition, wheels with a little rust plus 4 functioning TPS. Stated $200 FIRM.

Ahole contacts me and wants to know if I will take $100 for all.

What did FIRM mean????????
  8. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Firm is CL code for you will only drop the price by a little bit, not a lot, but if you've been selling for long enough it's basically OBO.
  9. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The few times I ever had replies to my CL ads were scammers and ridiculous lowball offers. This encounter is just ridiculous though. I would never imagine someone would initiate a conversation for the sole reason of slamming the item someone else is selling. I mean I don't understand. If you don't like the item, or don't want to buy it just move on.
  10. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    I received a response:

Hello,

Sorry that my husband got into a pissing match with you using my email, yes he can be a DICKHEAD, I agree with you in this situation, he should not have even contacted you at all. Sometimes he acts like a child, this is one of those times, my sincerest apologies......

This one is from XXXXX.

Sent from my iPad
  11. freetors

freetors Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't ever go to the personals sections :huh You'll find the weirdest low lifes their imaginable there.
  12. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    I actually contacted Darla on Facebook to apologise to her for the treatment she got.

I know she and I disagree but abuse, no.

cheers
  13. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    That's why I call it Flakeslist.

My FAVORITE line is... First question right out of the box, "What's the LEAST you'll take for it?"

To which, I quickly reply, "What's the MOST you'll pay for it?" :wink:
  14. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    It's really easy to just delete stupid responses from CL. You know you will get them when you post something for sale there.

Come on, some of those people are dumber than boiled cabbage! :lol3
  15. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Classic! :clap
  16. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
    I have had great success buying and selling on CL.

Sold a 25 foot boat, a 15 foot daysailer, BMW, motorcycles, Bought motorcycles, boats, banjos, tools, toolboxes.

Sure you get scammers but all in all a great experience.

Ballsy that someone would give you crap.

Personally I can't wait until the harley thing dies out...especially the ape hangers.
  17. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have sold and bought a few things on CL without to much trouble. I love the scammers. They claim they will Paypal you the full amount plus fees and their "agent" will pickup the item. No thank you, you can come in person with cash.

I actually had a guy want to by my ATV with a check....was standing in my driveway, I said there is bank down the street, go get cash.....never came back.

Even better are the ones that want me to deliver the item across the state.....hmm a $50 item and I have to spend $50 in gas to get it to you plus my time....no thanks...
  18. feathered

feathered Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've sold several things on CL, including two bikes, and I've bought 4 bikes found on CL. Even did a fly and ride. No problems, as long as you have enough common sense to recognize scammers. I didn't get any unsolicited email smack talk though!

Setting your price a little (or more..) higher than you're actually hoping to sell fo can be easier than trying to set a 'non-negotiable' price. Especially true for big ticket items like motor vehicles, furniture, electronics. People are going to try to negotiate those even if you tell them not to. This way, you come down a little on price after negotiating for a while. They feel good about themselves, you get the price you wanted.
  19. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    I love craigslist. I've gotten many a good deal on bikes or whatever. Of course, I expect scammers, but not somebody talking crap about the item for sale without even being interested in purchasing it. He must have been really bored.
  20. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've, for the most part(see below), always had good luck buying and selling on CL.

I've wanted to Email a couple people whose ads were blatant lies but held my tongue.

Regarding setting a higher price...
    I had my truck for sale a couple years back. I have $10,000 in aftermarket parts on it. I know you can't get back what you have in it but I was only asking $1,000(OBO...OR BEST OFFER) over NADA. Ad kept getting flagged. Went to CL online message board and asked why? Everyone said the price was too high...that's more than likely why people were flagging the ad.
    WTF? So there are people out there who have nothing better to do than flag ads they don't like or don't agree with the asking price?
    To that end, others who have similar items for sale could possibly flag your ad so they don't have any competition...