Around the World in 800 Days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameless

nameless 100% recyclable

Oddometer:
    Yep I've read it too, and yes...it's the problem with generalizing something, it will always be wrong.
    As you said, only traveling and meeting the locals can someone have a valid opinion (and even then, it will always be a personal opinion).

Let's keep it simple and all learn with each other :freaky

take care :D
  2. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was warned by a fellow Advrider guy that the border i was planning to cross in to Cambodia turned him and his bike away just a week earlier.
    But that was him.
    He surely was just not as prepared as i am......right????
    Maybe he didn't have my smile and charm.....could be....
    Well, this afternoon, I tired it and was not expecting the worst
    He said customs had sent him back. My plan was just to drive right on past them and wave bye. I was told that going to Customs was not really a requirement and that is would just cause problems
    My first hick up came at the Laos check point
    They would not even stamp me out until Cambodia stamped me in.
    But no worries i thought.
    I will just get Cambodia to stamp my passport, i will then go back to Laos and get stamped out and wheelie on by Customs in cambodia.
    Problem two came when Cambodia would not stamp me in until i spoke with Customs first.
    They made me even walk over without my moto
    Things were not looking good.
    As i approached the customs guy, i put on my best smile and poured on the charm
    But he sized up my paperwork and said........"Thai motorcycle...not possible to enter my country"
    I asked why but he had no reason and just motioned for me to leave so he could finish his nap
    Once it was clear my smile was not going to work, i gave him some attitude and used the ugly American card.
    I told him that the Ambassedor was a friend of mine and that i should not be turned away. And that there are lots of Thai vehicles in cambodia. And if he doesnt let me in right now, he is going to be in big trouble. That actually seem to get his attention. But he still refused. I said, ok, i am going to get my phone and call him and you can tell him yourself the reason why you are not letting me in.
    He said ok......he called my bluff
    So i just raised the ante
    I went and got the phone and i pretended to be speaking with an official.
    I let him hear how i was not being allowed in and the customs officer standing in front of me was directly responsible.
    I pretended that my friend asked for the custom guy's name.
    So i asked the guy and he responded........"i no tell you my name"
    Then i pretended my next question from my bogus friend on the other line was.....does he have a phone he can call him on.
    And his response was......"i no have a phone"
    No less than 10 seconds went by when his phone rang and he answered it.
    I told my imaginary friend that he actually does have a phone but he was not being truthful
    I then pretended my friend asked for me to take a picture of him.
    The custom guy's eyes twitched so i know he was listening and understood what i was saying
    I responded that i would take a picture of him but he would not like it.
    I then turned to the customs guy and said......."so, are you saying that you are denigning me entry in to your country even with a valid US passport and all necessary documents for my motorcycle?
    And he responded....."sorry, i no understand you, my english is no good"
    I just shook my head considering he understood everything else i was saying
    I just looked at him and said....."thank you"
    I then pointed my camera phone at him and pretended like i took a picture ....actually my battery was dead well before the whole time
    Then he said in a stern voice......"did you take picture?????"
    And i said to him with a smirk on my face....." sorrry, me no understand you, my English is no good"
    Then i just turned and walked away.

So i didnt make it in to Cambodia but at least i had a bit of a laugh afterwards

So now, i am riding hundreds of miles out of my way and i will try another border crossing from Thailand.
    Wish me luck
  3. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Yep, i hope to bump in to you two again soon
    This time i will make some more time so we can compare stories.
    I have slowed my pace a bit.
    For America, i would want something 500 cc's and up
    But my 250 would certainly work
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    No, not yet
    I am just being careful with it until i get back to Thailand where i can order parts for it.
    It may need the case split to fix in which case might be costly.
    I am just being careful on the single tracks for now
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Many Malbecs for about $20 are going to be good
    My favorite is a wine called Amancaya. It a joint venture between the Caro and Chateau Lafite in France. It is 30% Cab Sauv blended for structure. For about $20, it is my favorite
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    This is where i left off
    In the capital of Laos
    vientiane

This the beach i tried to camp on before the Laos Army made me leave

[​IMG]
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Vientane was a cool city.
    Lots of nice restaurants, Belgium beer and even this chic wine bar
    I also took a tour of the national museum for a dollar.
    There were lots of pictures and stories that seem to conflict the stories i learned in school.
    Like, here in Laos, Lenin was a good guy
    And there a lot of references to the war with "The Imperialists and their puppets"
    It was the only reminder that i was in a communist country.

At night i went bowling for about a buck a game and drank Chimay for about the price of eight games a bottle

[​IMG]
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it is hard to find a place to eat.
    Breakfast is the hardest meal.
    I am not in to noodles and rice in the morning
    And yogurt is hard to find in Laos
    This was one of my better breakfasts.......pork ribs on a stick and deep fried bananas

[​IMG]
  9. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Racism is racism, the weight of a racists words is zero. The haters are just jealous. BTW, I just sat down with a bowl of raisin bran to be greeted with the blast off pic. yyuck
  10. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    This cave is about 4 miles long and has a river flowing thru it.
    The river flows above ground and then disappears in to the cave and exits as an ordinary rive at the other end. And the best part about it is you can take a boat ride thru it for about $5

[​IMG]
  11. f650man

f650man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lalo, re: your financial issues. How about planning to be back in the states at a proper time and let a bunch of us hire you to do a baja tour. We'd love a tour from you (on dirt bikes), and if each of the 8 of us pitched in you'd make some $ and I'll bet there are 8 guys who would be interested in this baja ride. What do you think?
  12. Rodsbike

Rodsbike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a great idea - no not really. I am in Africa so logistics for me would be a problem. I bet more than 8 lucky guys would be interested. :clap
  13. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This the crossing?

[​IMG]

I went through that one in late 2012 - no real hassles. I got the same "you go Customs" rubbish.... but when I went over and laid on some good Aussie charm, all was good... "you go Visa". Smiles mate, smiles. No point giving them shit.... they'll do you over big time.

The only thing I've struck that was worse than American or British obstinacy in Asia was a photojournalist who was trying to cross a river into Burma with me (at an illegal crossing).... she flashed her Press Card to a soldier and said "I'm a journalist". That did not end well.

A serious word of warning. Try the aggro "I'm in the right" approach inside Cambodia and there's a real chance of ending up dead in a ditch. When you get run off the road, as you will many, many times.... smile and don't even wave. Cop it sweet and ride on.
    BetaRider88 likes this.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    That is usually the way i roll and it has worked out well for me in the other 51 countries.
    But this guy was a jerk and once i realized that being nice was going to get me nowhere, i tried a different tactic. That didnt work either, but at least i took some pleasure in it.
    Even, with your Aussie charm, there was no way you could have got in. They sent me straight to customs first. And there was no way around to get stamped in and out.
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    If a group would like to ride Baja, i will call Chris Haines and set it up. I would love to get back and ride Baja again. I miss it.
  16. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah... they sent me there too.

"You go Customs"....

"No, I go Visa"....

"YOU GO CUSTOMS"....

That's the deal there - and they won't argue - ever. Its gotta be nice.

There's no riding straight through there any more... but its manageable. I didn't have any worries.... not in a couple of times in PP or even with the infamous cops at Snooky, on my way out last December. The worst I had was with the Army in Laos... when they caught me photographing their Air Force's Migs... but a smile worked... and another mob, who spent half an hour copying out everything in my passport after I came out of a prohibited area.

Maybe you should stitch on an Aussie flag?

edited to add.... Justin, another American, second from left here, who you might have met at Rider's Corner in Chiang Mai (?) and Harry, crossed into Cambodia on Thai registered bikes at the end of November. No worries at all. I'd left mine in Siem Reap, so flew in this time... but I came in with the bike via the crossing you tried. It might be worth a second try?

[​IMG]
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    After being turned away at the Cambodian border in Laos, i crossed back in to Thailand to try another border crossing. Exiting Laos and entering back in to Thailand could not have been easier. It took all of 20 minutes. It made it seem like i was forgetting a stamp somewhere.
    I rode most of the day on the excellent yet boring roads in eastern Thailand.
    The first border crossing i got to was closed due to some border issues and disputes with Cambodia. Just a few short years ago, it came to blows with each side launching bombs on to the other side.
    So i continued to the border crosing that would have led directly south to the Ankor temples but things didnt go my way there either. I spent about 45 minutes on the Thai side getting all me stamps. It seems to be more effort to leave Thailand than entering back in to the country.
    And once i got to the Cambodian side about 50 meters away, i got the same story......no Thai motorbikes in to Cambodia. The guys were at least somewhat friendly. I spent about 90 minutes pleading with them to let me in. I showed them my map of where i have traveled. I showed them all the stamps in my passport. At one point he almost let me in but still the answer came back as a no..
    I even slipped a $20 bill in to my passport and that had no effect.
    It was the first bribe i offered on my trip and i was rejected
    This was going to be tough
    I eventually left and i had to get stamped back in to Thailand so all that time and effort was wasted.
    I rode to the next border crossing which was about an hour away. The sun was going down so i had to hurry before the border closed for the night.
    This border was more busy than the others. And the big difference was they did not force me thru customs first.
    Here i got my passport stamped and visa issued.
    And once i got that, i got on my bike and just rode off.
    I passed right by customs. I could hear them yelling for me to stop but i pretended not to hear them. I rode away fast and looked in my mirrors and i could see a car coming after me. I was not actually sure he was after me, but i pinned it anyway. I was in the country and i didnt want to stick around to find out who it was. I turned down a side street and waved thru the scooters so the car really had no chance.
    I then found a small guest house and hid my bike and spent the night at the border town.
    So i am in Cambodia.
    I have my visa
    I am just so sure about my bike being legal here.
    But i am not going to stopping for any police check points just in case
    Rich Rider likes this.
  18. Linhares

Linhares OSM addicted

Oddometer:
    :eek1
  19. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lalo be safe and keep the story coming :clap:clap:clap
  20. flyingdutchman177